HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 05, 2013, 07:03 PM
United Kingdom, England, Lancs
Joined Jan 2013
10 Posts
Wing Tape

Thanks for advice on tape to hold wing sections together, does this not stretch solarfilm with pulling tape on and off a number of times. My wing will have to be split into sections to be able to fit in the car boot for transportation to the flying site.
Can anyone forsee any problem with using a small magnet to join the wing sections (I can live with a bit of turbulance around the wing join, ie no tape). I also thought of recessing one half of the magnet into one wing rib, and leave the other half protruding on the other wing rib, this would then also act as a locating peg and maybee do away with the 2mm peg in the LE and TE.
These are only thoughts going round in my head (sleepless nights !) and nothing is fixed yet. Happy landings Dave.
llamedos142 is offline Find More Posts by llamedos142
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2013, 04:40 AM
Joined Sep 2009
366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by llamedos142 View Post
Thanks for advice on tape to hold wing sections together, does this not stretch solarfilm with pulling tape on and off a number of times. My wing will have to be split into sections to be able to fit in the car boot for transportation to the flying site.
Can anyone forsee any problem with using a small magnet to join the wing sections (I can live with a bit of turbulance around the wing join, ie no tape). I also thought of recessing one half of the magnet into one wing rib, and leave the other half protruding on the other wing rib, this would then also act as a locating peg and maybee do away with the 2mm peg in the LE and TE.
These are only thoughts going round in my head (sleepless nights !) and nothing is fixed yet. Happy landings Dave.
I have used tape for years now with no problems, but you need to make sure you have at least 6mm overlap of the covering going over on to the faces of each panel to give good adhesion for the covering. I personally would not use Solarfilm as it is not as strong IMHO as Oracover/Profilm and is terrible to remove if you need too, for repairs. I know that the latter is expensive compared to Solarfilm but it is the best and I use it for hinging as well for flaps & ailerons.

Magnets I have no experience of so you are on your own there, but be aware that the tips do move whilst flying due to the lift on them, so could break the joint of the magnets
Essex BOF is offline Find More Posts by Essex BOF
Old Jan 07, 2013, 04:56 AM
UK, Coventry
Joined Aug 2005
533 Posts
I find that if you wrap a layer of clear tape around each side of the joint and leave that on permanently it stops the solarfilm from lifting.

Wouldn't rely on the magnet as a locator, just in case the tape gives and the panel moves (midair for example). Have had that happen to me, thankfully the long peg stopped the panel slipping off and rotating.
mhodgson is offline Find More Posts by mhodgson
Old Jan 08, 2013, 02:03 PM
Joined Jan 2013
10 Posts
Wing join

Thanks for replys, looks like its going to be clear tape either side, then cover joint with second piece of tape.

I now have another question. Has anyone tried to make the outer wing ribs with the sandwich method. I tried last night but the angles at the trailing edge, ended up not square and the slope from inner to outer tip is so great that the top edges of the ribs were at about a 30deg. angle. I would have thought that all the individual ribs would have been shown on the plan.
Enjoying build, but it could take some time to complete, (retired now so time is not a problem).
Happy landings Dave.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 03:07 AM
Joined Sep 2009
366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by llamedos142 View Post
Thanks for replys, looks like its going to be clear tape either side, then cover joint with second piece of tape.

I now have another question. Has anyone tried to make the outer wing ribs with the sandwich method. I tried last night but the angles at the trailing edge, ended up not square and the slope from inner to outer tip is so great that the top edges of the ribs were at about a 30deg. angle. I would have thought that all the individual ribs would have been shown on the plan.
Enjoying build, but it could take some time to complete, (retired now so time is not a problem).
Happy landings Dave.
Don't blame me for that Dave, as the wing sections were supplied to Traplet but they never included them with the plan on a separate sheet. I can supply you with the ribs as printed out by Tracfoil, if you send me an A4 SAE. PM me.
I rate the Tracfoil plotting program, in printing them out you can then cut them to shape without all the tapered edges that the sandwich method leaves you with.
Think the programm cost about 7 . You can get a months trial version as well.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 11:06 AM
United Kingdom, Hythe
Joined Aug 2011
117 Posts
My incidence meter arrived from the U K today. I am advised by BA that the design incidence is 1.5 degree positive. I have checked my build and it is exactly 1.5 degree positive. I seem to have got that right. We are flying from a beach and the thermals are not there and of course we have to deal with the sand which gets into everything including the motor. In future I will probably limit this glider to land / fields if we can find them. The fast wing is coming along and I am currently cutting the ribs. I have been having trouble getting spuce / pine but I am told it will be available on Friday. I have sorted out the mix on the spoiler and landing is now under control. Things are looking quite positive at this time. I have had approximately 30 launches with not too many nervous moments. The motor is a MVVS 2015 MVVS 2,5/1120 and has no problem getting to the 200 meter height. Visibilty is a problem as we currently have clear blue sunny skies. I have fitted chequer strips underneath and that has helped. For those of you have not come across an incidence meter I have included some pictures and recommend you get one.
CONNELLMJ is offline Find More Posts by CONNELLMJ
Old Jan 09, 2013, 05:17 PM
Joined Jan 2013
10 Posts
Wing Ribs

[QUOTE=Essex BOF;23758292]Don't blame me for that Dave, as the wing sections were supplied to Traplet but they never included them with the plan on a separate sheet. I can supply you with the ribs as printed out by Tracfoil, if you send me an A4 SAE. PM me.

Thanks Essex BOF I will take you up on your offer of printed out wing ribs, SAE will be on its way shortly. Hope I did not offend you, that was not my intention.
A short break from building will do me good whilst the wing rib drawings arrive. I have a few other jobs to concentrate on at the moment.
Thanks once more Dave.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:47 AM
Joined Sep 2009
366 Posts
Came across this on the E Soaring site in reference to the boom for the fuselage of the Watts Up, it may be of interest to those outside the UK who have a problem in locating a suitable alternative.
Thanks to Ian Cowe:-

When browsing at the fishing section of The Range superstore in York looking for a carbon tube to use as a wing spar I came across a 3M Fishing pole whose dimensions are the same as the inner three sections of the Middy 4M pole mentioned earlier. Cost is 4.99. Exact details are Fladen Clipper Pole 3M 513B from Fladen Fishing.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006IKSDLE/r ... B006IKSDLE shows Amazon selling a 4M version for 7.99.

Regards

Ian
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:19 AM
Ft. Wayne, IN. USA
Joined Apr 2001
110 Posts
So are these poles made of carbon fiber, or something else? Living in the States, it's been a real pain to find something for a tailboom! I have the kit, plans, and the build article, but no boom. I did find a fishing pole with a section close to the right size, but it's made of fiberglass, and weights 54grams for the one section. How much does the correct section weigh?

Thanks,
Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essex BOF View Post
Came across this on the E Soaring site in reference to the boom for the fuselage of the Watts Up, it may be of interest to those outside the UK who have a problem in locating a suitable alternative.
Thanks to Ian Cowe:-

When browsing at the fishing section of The Range superstore in York looking for a carbon tube to use as a wing spar I came across a 3M Fishing pole whose dimensions are the same as the inner three sections of the Middy 4M pole mentioned earlier. Cost is 4.99. Exact details are Fladen Clipper Pole 3M 513B from Fladen Fishing.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006IKSDLE/r ... B006IKSDLE shows Amazon selling a 4M version for 7.99.

Regards

Ian
rctinman is offline Find More Posts by rctinman
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:11 PM
Joined Jan 2013
10 Posts
Fishing pole

One door closes and another door opens. I have been in contact with Cheshire fishing today, and they can no longer supply the seperate pole for watts-up. They can still supply complete rod at 12.99 + 6.00 postage. Still OK if you want to go that route, but I will try and source this alternative Fladen Clipper pole.
Thanks for info Essex BOF/Ian Cowe (well timed).
Old Jan 12, 2013, 04:09 PM
Norway, Hordaland, Os
Joined Nov 2004
332 Posts
I see that hyperflight.co.uk has a number of different booms. Could perhaps one of them be used as a replacement? http://www.hyperflight.co.uk/product...s&subcat=Booms

I also came across a US based company some time ago that did a lot of tapered booms, but can't find the link anymore. Think it was more of a general company that sells kevlar/carbon products. I'll dig around and see if I can find the company again.

- Thomas
thnilsen is offline Find More Posts by thnilsen
Old Jan 13, 2013, 04:36 AM
United Kingdom, Hythe
Joined Aug 2011
117 Posts
The construction of the fast wing has ground to halt as procuring of the spruce / pine webbing struts has proved difficult. I am told they will be available next week. All the ribs have been cut and finished. I have now flown WattsUp and it has not disappointed. I think so far about forty flights. The best time so far is 8 minutes 38 secs. This is turning the motor off at 200 meters. I had some problems with sand in the motor but since moving to a field that has been resolved. As the model is being used there has been some use damage. On landing yesterday some the under panels on wing were damaged. I use oracover lite. I am going to try oracover to see if that gives a more resistant surface. Yesterday was a testing day and I spent some time adjusting the incidence and CG position. In the end I thought I had got it about right. When landing in future I will try catching it. I would like it too last until the first league event. It seems to be a tough glider though. I am very pleased with it so far and my flying mate Dennis is definately go to build one using the Traplets wood pack.
CONNELLMJ is offline Find More Posts by CONNELLMJ
Old Jan 13, 2013, 05:25 AM
Joined Sep 2009
366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skranish View Post
My tail booms finally made their way from Middy in the UK, to New Word Carp in Canada, to me in the USA.

I bought a complete pole plus 3 of the section intended as the tail boom. I will post dimensions and weights shortly.

These look like nice tailbooms. I don't know enough about composite construction to compare them to other available booms or fishing rods.
The above link may be of use to builders in the USA also there was a link to Bass pro in the USA for possible booms that fit the bill.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:54 AM
Ft. Wayne, IN. USA
Joined Apr 2001
110 Posts
Can anyone PLEASE tell me what the proper weight of the tailboom should be? This will keep me from buying something I can't use.

Thanks,
Steve
rctinman is offline Find More Posts by rctinman
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:17 AM
Joined Sep 2009
366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rctinman View Post
Can anyone PLEASE tell me what the proper weight of the tailboom should be? This will keep me from buying something I can't use.

Thanks,
Steve
I have a spare that is very similar but not a Middy which is approx 5cm longer than what the plan shows and weighs in at 50grams, not that disimilar too what you quoted in a previous post.I think it is fibre glass not carbon, but then I do not think the Middy is carbon for the price being charged.