HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:07 AM
United Kingdom, Hythe
Joined Aug 2011
132 Posts
I think by adjusting the servo arm position I can hold the spoiler closed.
CONNELLMJ is online now Find More Posts by CONNELLMJ
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:12 AM
United Kingdom, Hythe
Joined Aug 2011
132 Posts
Pictures of the first successful flight.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:31 AM
Spearheading an Alliance
United States, CO, Aspen
Joined Oct 2010
794 Posts
Awesome!

Congrats, nice pics!

How did she fly/feel?

BG

BravoGolf is offline Find More Posts by BravoGolf
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:04 PM
St. Neots, England
Joined Sep 2002
149 Posts
Nice build Michael, looks good. I've quietly followed your Watts Up build with interest amazing that this is your first aeroplane that you have ever built! Brilliant.

I'm very pleased with my Watts Up with the original spoiler RE wing, flies nice, great design, well done Brian. I'm now building the 2 metre flapped/aileron wing for windy day flying.

Phil.
Phil_P is offline Find More Posts by Phil_P
Old Dec 31, 2012, 02:01 PM
United Kingdom, Hythe
Joined Aug 2011
132 Posts
Hi BG. WattsUP flew well and had a nice feel with no problems.All my other gliders have ailerons and so this model will take getting used too. It's a proper floater. The spoiler works fine but I nearly drove it into the ground. You need to mix in some up otherwise there is going to a problem. This I am working on. The glider looks a lot bigger than other factory built 2M gliders.

I am in an RV so storage is a problem. I needed some wing bags to protect the wing surfaces. In Conil there are many Chinese shops that sell everything. I bought two silver wind screen sun covers and cut and stuck them into wing bags. They have turned out very well for 6 eu.

The fast wing will follow.

I need a project for next winter. It has to be a balsa/spruce type construction. Cannot work special materials here.

Suggestions welcome.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 02:03 PM
United Kingdom, Hythe
Joined Aug 2011
132 Posts
Thanks Phil. I hope to see you at Bartletts farm next season. The 7th April I believe is the first event.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 05:48 AM
Joined Sep 2009
373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essex BOF View Post
A few more pics
If you look at this previous link, ref the picture of the spoiler operation. It is important that the spoiler is hinged with Diamond Tape or similar and not with film that can be shrunk. Place the spoiler in it aperture with thin card between the rear edge to maintain a gap and the front and back of the blade flush with top surface of the wing. Run a strip of Diamond tape along the front to form hinge. Remove the card and the blade should drop freely down to close flush with the wing. The servo is modified as shown with the arm extension & then adjust with the servo travel adjustment to hold closed without stalling the servo . some play where the arm rest in the shut position helps. It can be done just takes a bit of patience.
Essex BOF is online now Find More Posts by Essex BOF
Old Jan 02, 2013, 04:25 AM
Joined Sep 2009
373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_P View Post
Nice build Michael, looks good. I've quietly followed your Watts Up build with interest amazing that this is your first aeroplane that you have ever built! Brilliant

Phil.
Yes I concurr with that as it is an astounding effort for a first build model aeroplane and in not the most easy situation. Don't think I would build a model in an awning whilst effectively being on an extended holiday. Well done.
I know of one guy who started the build and gave up as he could not understand the plan
Old Jan 02, 2013, 05:36 AM
United Kingdom, Hythe
Joined Aug 2011
132 Posts
What e-glider building plans have you for me next winter Brian?
Old Jan 03, 2013, 06:13 PM
United Kingdom, England, Lancs
Joined Jan 2013
10 Posts
Watts-Up (new to thread)

Hi all, just joined this thread today. Started building Watts-Up about a month ago (scratch building from plan) and have been following thread for hints/tips etc.

Tail + elevator is built but not covered, and centre section of wing is built.

I am about to start building the outer wing/tip sections, but I have one question, which I have not seen mentioned, and that is. Are the outer wing sections secured in any way to the centre wing section other than the carbon rod. I have visions of the two wing panels slowly seperating whilst in flight. My thoughts were perhaps to fit a 5mm diameter magnet into the outer wing ribs to hold both sections together ? Have I perhaps missed somthing on the plan ?, I have not built a glider of this size before and all my previous wings are one piece.
Many thanks for any advice.
llamedos142 is offline Find More Posts by llamedos142
Old Jan 03, 2013, 06:40 PM
Fresno CA
Joined Jul 2006
1,745 Posts
Welcome to RCGroups!

I to have been quietly watching this thread! Awesome! How do the tip panels stay on? Thats a good question for those who don't know! It's simple. If you look closely at the last posted picture ,on the underside of the wings there appears to be tape , most guys use tape. It does 2 things, 1 holds the wing together and 2 prevents air from spilling through the wing. Some say that you only need to tape the first part of the wing. I still think that a whole chord wise tape is better!

I really like the 2 meter version, because it is kind of low A/R!

Blue Skies...............................Tim
RWCLOUD is offline Find More Posts by RWCLOUD
Old Jan 04, 2013, 10:53 AM
United Kingdom, Hythe
Joined Aug 2011
132 Posts
I agree with tape. I am using tape.

I am just starting the fast wing. This time there is no laser cut parts. I also have to locate material locally. I went to local hobby shop who did not have the quantities I need. I have ordered the material and should have by the end of next week. They did have the balsa for the ribs so I have started by copying the plan and pasteing on to 5mm and 3mm balsa. BA sent the drawing out from the U K and the campsite have a copier. I have ordered some carbon from the U.K. I will see how I get on before ordering the servo's from the U.K. Delivery from U K is approx 7 days. Material ordering gives me plenty of time to finish off all the ribs and take my time doing it. The drawing has a description on how to proceed so I am not working in the dark. As usual the design is well thought. I paid for the drawing by using Paypal gift option. The seller gets 100% of the value. That's new to me.

We are going flying tomorrow with WattsUp. I have made a few adjustments to the mixes and hope this irons out the spoiler / elevator problem. I am sure it will. It is most important that attention is paid to the rudder and elevator horn fixing. My rudder came partially loose which was scary to say the least. I had used paxoline as the drawing but the balsa broke away on the grain. I now have a plastic one with scews all the way through. The elevator looked really strong but I have fitted a ball connector as I felt the servo was under pressure on the top bearing. I believe the possible problem is fixed.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 11:47 AM
St. Neots, England
Joined Sep 2002
149 Posts
Quote:
I am about to start building the outer wing/tip sections, but I have one question, which I have not seen mentioned, and that is. Are the outer wing sections secured in any way to the centre wing section other than the carbon rod.
I too use tape, if it's good enough for full size gliders it's good enough for me, besides it covers up the awful gap from my lousy building!

Phil
Phil_P is offline Find More Posts by Phil_P
Old Jan 04, 2013, 12:25 PM
Joined Sep 2009
373 Posts
Yes tape is the way to go, in holding the tip panels onto the centre panel. This stops the tip panel sliding off the joiner. I also place a strip of Diamond Tape either side of the wing joint, on each panel, for the tape to adhere too. I use this on Moulded models as well, so as not to remove the top layer of gel coat, when removing the tape.

Surprised as to the rudder horn coming loose by breaking the balsa support in the rudder. Was the grain on the balsa the right way i.e. Was the grain vertical to the hinge line? Was the horn made to go right across the full width of the rudder so as it had the maximum glued area to retain it?
Never happened on my one even when it broke a servo arm in an indecent arrival at a comp

In regards to the low aspect ratio, it is the only way to go to get wing area on a 2 metre model and seems to work fine. Strange to say that the whole setup work well from 2 right thru to 3.1 metre spans.

Bear in mind that spoiler equpped models need UP elevator compensation with spoiler applied, whereas aileron/flap models need DOWN compensation, note oposite setup
Last edited by Essex BOF; Jan 07, 2013 at 06:06 AM.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 09:04 AM
Gnd/Heli Interface Tester
Essex UK
Joined Jul 2005
360 Posts
Congrats on the build Mike, looks great and a nice way to pass the UK winter

You did far better than I did when I tried to build it, I ended up giving it to the Mrs brother to finish and fly.

Look forward to seeing it at the Bartletts comps
jiberjaber is offline Find More Posts by jiberjaber