HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 04, 2012, 11:52 AM
United Kingdom, Hythe
Joined Aug 2011
137 Posts
Watts Up

I am currently constructing the center wing section. I have found it a complex build.
The angle on the ends will be 4 degrees dihedral. I looked through previous notes to get this information. I am building a 2 metre for competition. I am short of some light ply so will get some from the local hobby shop in Chiclana. I should have this piece finsihed this week and then the tips. I am not complaining too much as I seem to have brought most of the materials from England. I have decided to fit Multiplex MULTllock wing retainer system. I bought over the internet and they were posted out.

The wood laser kit has some wing joiners. I cannot see how they fit this build. Any one know what they are for?
CONNELLMJ is offline Find More Posts by CONNELLMJ
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2012, 01:02 PM
Joined Sep 2009
380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CONNELLMJ View Post
I have rounded as far as I think is safe without going through fuse wall. I think it looks better than the photographs. I filed through the fire wall and corner of fuse. I had to repair. I cannot put bigger longerons on as the motor will not fit. I am happy with the outcome. It would not be difficult to take more off as I could patch the fibreglass. It's very light matt.
There should be enough wood to allow a fair bit of rounding off. The back end where the pod meets the boom should fare into the diameter of the boom. whilst the front fares into the 42mm dia spinner. This also removes some weight of the airframe. Just my observation, you are at liberty to go where you feel comfortable with. My original has taken a fair bit of abuse over the 5 years that I have been flying it mainly in comps in 2 metre events, where the landings can be more of an arrival at times
Essex BOF is offline Find More Posts by Essex BOF
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:34 AM
United Kingdom, Hythe
Joined Aug 2011
137 Posts
The final construction is almost complete. I just have to install some carbon sheet to finish the tips and center wing. I will then be able to finish off each part ready for flight. There is still a lot of work to do but the end is in sight, This is a useful tip passed on by BA so that the tips are equal size. Cover the drawing with a light oil. Olive in this case and the lines show through. Then turn the drawing upside down.It worked very well. I am short of carbon sheet but the order should be here from the U K in a couple of days.
Last edited by CONNELLMJ; Dec 14, 2012 at 03:32 AM.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:44 AM
From The Lab
Beverly, MA 01915 USA
Joined May 2001
154 Posts
Looks great. Is your workshop in a tent?
skranish is offline Find More Posts by skranish
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:08 AM
United Kingdom, Hythe
Joined Aug 2011
137 Posts
Thanks.

I am in Spain in a motor home (recreational vehicle) On the side is a awning (tent). On winter vacation from U K.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 07:45 AM
United Kingdom, Hythe
Joined Aug 2011
137 Posts
I am just finishing the construction off. I have to fit one winglet and then any small indentations have to be filled. I am also going to cover the wing tip ribs with carbon. I have done the centre panel ribs which look quite effective. IMHO. I will be covering next week. I am just sorting the colours out.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 10:21 AM
United Kingdom, Hythe
Joined Aug 2011
137 Posts
Today I fitted the wing to the fuse. To get the hole in the correct position took a long time and a lot of different measurements. After some time and a bit of fiddling it all came out correctly. Tomorrow I will get on and make the cockpit. Then its installing the electrics and covering. Quite a bit of work but the end is nearer then the beginning. I do not have my incidence meter with me, but measuring off the drawing the glider it seems about right.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 12:20 PM
United Kingdom, Hythe
Joined Aug 2011
137 Posts
I have completed the cockpit cover today. There are no laser cut pieces for the this, so it's trace and make patterns. It seemd to come out quite well. I fixed with a magnet catch rather than wire. I have decided to paint the pod yellow, boom black, and cock pit cover black. Tomorrow I will fit the tailplane and rudder servo's. I will make the loom up as I go. I have brought all the kit with me. Then it's the covering to finish. The spinner is a 40mm I already had. I think 42mm will be too big. The front of the pod looks a bit like a Mallard locomotive. There is not much I can do about this. It looks good to me.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:46 AM
United Kingdom, Hythe
Joined Aug 2011
137 Posts
The fuse has been painted and the links to the rudder and tailplane fitted. I am not happy with the tailplane connection as I think it may put a strain on the servo. I have ordered a 2mm ball joint clevis. The electrics have been fitted and the motor runs the correct way. In the next 3 days I will cover the wings and tips. A test flight will happen next week, weather allowing.

I received the drawing for the high wind wing today thanks to BA and construction will start next week.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:07 AM
Joined Sep 2009
380 Posts
Be interesting to see how it goes Michael as I think you are the only person to build it the same as my one, in the 2 Metre version. Best in winds upto about 14-15 mph, after that the fast wing takes over.
Essex BOF is offline Find More Posts by Essex BOF
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:11 PM
United Kingdom, Hythe
Joined Aug 2011
137 Posts
The tips have been covered and the center section has the red covering on. I should finish the center section tomorrow and the fit the spoiler. I was worried about the coveing. I always get a crease in the corners. I have been studying training video's on U Tube and it seems to have done the trick. The covering looks good
, IMHO, and the wifes. The weather as far as wind is concerned is not looking good at this moment. It looks as if test flying will be delayed for a while. My wife thinks I should forget the flying and just hang it up at home. My flying partner Dennis cannot wait to launch it. I have always been of the opinion 'he who dares wins'. It will be tested in Spain. Probably not flown a lot after that. I will be keeping it for Bartlett league events. For the first event it has to look good. After that anything could happen knowing me.

I do have to decide whether to put stripes on the underside of the wing. If I do should they be yellow or chequer. They are the colours I have in stock. I should be able to put up a finished photograph in the next couple of days.

I will then do the material take off for the fast wing.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:46 PM
Spearheading an Alliance
United States, CO, Aspen
Joined Oct 2010
794 Posts
looks fantastic

The covering looks fantastic! Red and yellow because you are in Spain or just a coincidence?

BG
BravoGolf is offline Find More Posts by BravoGolf
Old Dec 29, 2012, 03:34 AM
United Kingdom, Hythe
Joined Aug 2011
137 Posts
The colour of red and yellow I thought looked good. I just searched through the local model shops stock. I brought the red with me. You are correct the red and yellow is the Spanish flag colours. I am very happy to be associated with the Spanish flag colours. The locals are very friendly and hospitable. Thanks for your view on the covering. I have had some nightmares in the past.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 01:02 PM
United Kingdom, Hythe
Joined Aug 2011
137 Posts
WattsUp is finished. I just have to check CG and then pencil in a test flight. The wind strength is a bit high at the moment so probably a week before I can report. There is a slight problem which I will take up with BA. The spoiler does not close completely. I think the tape holds it slightly open. I tried tape top and bottom but that was even worse. I am sure there is an easy solution. Watch this space.

Conclusion.
I know from the results BA gets that the bird is really a very good e-glider. The laser parts pack is well worth the money if you are a novice like me. The drawing and design detail is excellent. BA really thought this design through. I am sure he is rightly proud of it.

I will continue with the fast wing in due course. I have to catch up on my flying practise. I do not want to be holding everyone up in the league this year.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 01:20 PM
Belgium, Flemish Region, Oosterzele
Joined Dec 2001
5,499 Posts
That looks the part... I'd use a couple small magnets to keep the spoiler closed...
WimH is offline Find More Posts by WimH
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: That elusive thermal...