SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 24, 2011, 08:38 PM
From The Lab
Beverly, MA 01915 USA
Joined May 2001
154 Posts
Hi - I am back to seriously searching for the parts to complete a Watts Up - before I get started. I tried to contact numerous people selling the Middy Impact poles in the UK, asking about shipping to the USA.. and finally got one answer. Then I heard from the lone Middy dealer in Canada. Once I explained what I was doing and what I needed, he offered to sell the replacement sections alone.. although I will still spend more on postage than the booms!

I would prefer to simply buy something that is known to work, rather than spending hours searching tackle shops and hoping I will find something. So.. I need to make SURE I know what I am looking for. If I remember correctly, this is the SECOND largest section of a Middy Impact pole. Is this correct? Am I likely to find any practical use for the other sections?

regards

Steve
skranish is offline Find More Posts by skranish
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2011, 12:07 PM
Joined Sep 2009
371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skranish View Post
Hi - I am back to seriously searching for the parts to complete a Watts Up - before I get started. I tried to contact numerous people selling the Middy Impact poles in the UK, asking about shipping to the USA.. and finally got one answer. Then I heard from the lone Middy dealer in Canada. Once I explained what I was doing and what I needed, he offered to sell the replacement sections alone.. although I will still spend more on postage than the booms!

I would prefer to simply buy something that is known to work, rather than spending hours searching tackle shops and hoping I will find something. So.. I need to make SURE I know what I am looking for. If I remember correctly, this is the SECOND largest section of a Middy Impact pole. Is this correct? Am I likely to find any practical use for the other sections?

regards

Steve
Sorry to hear of the problem sourcing a boom for the Watts Up. I did not think it would be such a problem as it has turned out to be. The Middy Impact is so i understand made here in the UK, which surprised me as it is very cheap but perfect for the job,( the price looked as though it came from China) my one has been in use some 4 years now. It is not cast in stone to use this one if you can find something nearer to it that is available close to where you are based.
If I remember from this link if you trace it back, it is the second joint from the base that is used, the rear diameter needs to be 18-19mm (3/4") so any tube that is light and fits that criterea will do.
As to practical uses for the other sections,I never found any so gave them to a fishing friend.

How much are they quoting you from Canada? as it is £12.99 over here.
Essex BOF is offline Find More Posts by Essex BOF
Old Nov 26, 2011, 02:06 PM
From The Lab
Beverly, MA 01915 USA
Joined May 2001
154 Posts
I think they want about US$5 for a replacement section, but the postage from CA to USA is likely to be US$20 to US$30 because of the size of the box. That is still much better than shipping from the UK to here.

It sounds to me like the Middy Impact is used for a style of fishing that is popular in the UK, but not in the US. It probably does not involve the use of mammoth SUVs, electronic fish finders, or ATVs.

Steve
Old Jan 11, 2012, 11:10 AM
Joined Sep 2009
371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skranish View Post
I think they want about US$5 for a replacement section, but the postage from CA to USA is likely to be US$20 to US$30 because of the size of the box. That is still much better than shipping from the UK to here.

It sounds to me like the Middy Impact is used for a style of fishing that is popular in the UK, but not in the US. It probably does not involve the use of mammoth SUVs, electronic fish finders, or ATVs.

Steve
Sorry to hear of the problems in locating a suitable boom for this model in countries overseas. It would be a great help to those building it in foriegn shores, if flyers in those countries could point them in the right direction in regard to sourcing the equivelent to suit. UK is not a problem.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 11:23 AM
From The Lab
Beverly, MA 01915 USA
Joined May 2001
154 Posts
I was able to make contact with Middy's Canadian retailer, New World Carp (info at newworldcarp.com)

I presently have on order one complete pole plus three "4th section, which is the second from last and tapers from 19mm to 16mm" at US$6.99 each.

Postage to me for the whole pile was US$35.

Good deal? I don't know; I would just prefer to get the recommended pole rather than search through whatever the local big box store feels like stocking.

They should be here somewhere around the end of the month, and then I will look at getting started.

I would be interested in plans for the 2M wing.

Steve
Old Jan 17, 2012, 12:57 AM
Joined Aug 2006
3 Posts
I have completed the wing and tail sections of my Watts Up and am just now moving to the fuselage.
Living in Thailand I cannot source the Middy Impact easily but I have managed to find fishing rod sections that, at least dimensionally, meet the bill.
Basically I have two to choose from. The first is quite substantial and can be easily drilled and cut. However it weighs 110 gms and I worry about that much weight aft of the C of G.
The second weighs only 62 gms but it is thin and will need great care in the fabrication.
Would appreciate any advice. Does anyone happen to know what the Middy Impact section happens to weigh when cut down to the 28-1/2 inch length?

I was reading some of the earlier comments in this thread about the tendency of the Watts Up to loop over at the beginning of the climb out. I have even seen a video clip showing the effect up close!
Has anyone built in a (say) 5 degree downthrust for the motor? And maybe a little right thrust as well to ease the early stages of any flight?
Dale Boston is offline Find More Posts by Dale Boston
Old Jan 17, 2012, 04:17 PM
Derby, UK
Joined Nov 2004
213 Posts
For anyone else searching for a carbon boom, I bought a Lineaffe 4m carbon whip off eBay a few weeks ago, slightly cheaper than the Middy Impact, for a glider project. It is an Italian make which there may be a chance is more available internationally - it should give an alternative to search for, anyway.

2nd largest section measures 45" (115cm) x .785" - .625" OD, .715" - .575" ID.
weight is 67g for its full length so probably ~42g for 28.5"

I also have a fairly old 4m phenolic (paper) whip in the shed which measures and weighs the same. Slightly stiffer if anything but presumably considerably weaker?

Hope that helps someone.
Nigel
Daddymonkey is offline Find More Posts by Daddymonkey
Old Jan 18, 2012, 03:46 AM
Joined Sep 2009
371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Boston View Post
I have completed the wing and tail sections of my Watts Up and am just now moving to the fuselage.
Living in Thailand I cannot source the Middy Impact easily but I have managed to find fishing rod sections that, at least dimensionally, meet the bill.
Basically I have two to choose from. The first is quite substantial and can be easily drilled and cut. However it weighs 110 gms and I worry about that much weight aft of the C of G.
The second weighs only 62 gms but it is thin and will need great care in the fabrication.
Would appreciate any advice. Does anyone happen to know what the Middy Impact section happens to weigh when cut down to the 28-1/2 inch length?

I was reading some of the earlier comments in this thread about the tendency of the Watts Up to loop over at the beginning of the climb out. I have even seen a video clip showing the effect up close!
Has anyone built in a (say) 5 degree downthrust for the motor? And maybe a little right thrust as well to ease the early stages of any flight?
Not sure on the Middy sections weight, but I have a boom approx the same sizes but a bit longer that weighs in at 40grams with the section thickness being .6mm. How does this compare to the lighter one you quote above?

In regards to the looping tendency that you are worried about, all electric powered gliders will do this for the simple reason that on the power phase, the wing is lifting more due to the increased speed of the climb. It is no different than when you dive a glider or any model with a lifting section, when you neutralise the elevator the model climbs untill the speed decays.
This of course does not happen when the motor is running, the speed of climb wants to carry the model over into a loop.
It is not something to make a big deal of providing you allow either some down elevator in the climb out, or down elevator programmed into the motor control, which neutralises when the throttle/motor is shut off.
The amount of power also will dictate how much down you will need to compensate. You can as you say use downthrust but with modern computor radios would not think that to be neccessary.

Side thrust is not needed in my view as the torque effect with electric motors is not the same as with IC engines.

When setup correctly, my Watts Up will climb hands off, or if anything I can ease in a little up elevator to maintain the angle of climb at about 45 degrees.
This applies to all the versions I have flown from 2-3.1 metre span.

PS I should add that it is important that the model is built true as any warps in the wing or misalignment of the fin/rudder will cause any turn to be become serious under power with increased speed. Follow the instructions that were in the magazine article, or if you do not have them, e mail me & I will attach a set for your use.
Last edited by Essex BOF; Jan 19, 2012 at 03:03 AM.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 08:48 PM
Joined Aug 2006
3 Posts
[QUOTE=Essex BOF;20459211]Not sure on the Middy sections weight, but I have a boom approx the same sizes but a bit longer that weighs in at 40grams with the section thickness being .6mm. How does this compare to the lighter one you quote above?

Many thanks for the feedback. Obviously I need to find another use for my ‘substantial’ 110 gm option.
The lighter boom (60 gm) I see is part of a ‘Puyu Pole’. No idea what that is except that it is black and comes from a fishing shop. Unfortunately it seems to lack the strength and integrity expected in a serious fishing rod and is very difficult to work. Specifically it tends to split longitudinally. The thickness is 1.2 mm at the small end and 0.7 mm at the large end. Counter intuitive but that is how it is.
Looks like I need to go to another fishing rod shop. Fortunately I have spent very little so far and, thanks to you, I now know much better what I am looking for.
Dale Boston is offline Find More Posts by Dale Boston
Old Feb 07, 2012, 03:28 PM
Joined Sep 2009
371 Posts
Hi Brian,
Just a quick feed back on the initial flights of the extended wing Watts Up.
First impressions really nice, handling is quite forgiving and climbs fast on the MVVS 460 840 on a 14x6 prop on 3s. the weight came out as you said 1500gms or a bit under so it dosent need a lot of oomf to get up there, pulls about 28 amps on full power.
I couldnt try a long flight as the cloud was down to about300ft at East Worldam, about 15secs climb or so but it still wanted to stay up.
By the way that spoiler is very powerful and needs alot more up mixed in than I had, but its comforting to know it will come down when required.
Its a nice ship, I like it.
Thanks again
John.
Old Mar 04, 2012, 12:24 PM
United Kingdom, Hythe
Joined Aug 2011
128 Posts
Watts Up

Hi All

Can anyone advise where to get the drawings for 3.1 meter version?

Mike
CONNELLMJ is offline Find More Posts by CONNELLMJ
Old Mar 12, 2012, 04:00 AM
Joined Sep 2009
371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CONNELLMJ View Post
Hi All

Can anyone advise where to get the drawings for 3.1 meter version?

Mike
I can supply wing profiles for the 3.1 wing plus details on how to lay out the tip panels. Pm me for details.

As an extra bit of detail on motors to fit I would suggest the Hyperion GS2218-10 looks to be a good bet, priced at approx £50 in UK
Old Apr 02, 2012, 02:26 AM
Joined Sep 2009
371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essex BOF View Post
Flew the 2 metre version in Bartletts Comp 20th June. Placed 4th overall & won the 2 metre class. See full results on E Soaring site.

http://www.esoaring.net/forum/viewto...&sd=a&start=10

Some flying shots curtesy of Peter Hindle
The Watts Up 2 metre (as shown) came top of the shop yesterday at the first Bartletts leaque event of 2012 and this against a lot of hot ships like the Stork, Shadow etc
Have re motored it now due to the MPX motor expiring. Now has Kontonik 480-27 with 5.2 GB and I used a Rhino 1065 3 cell Lipo 40C to lighten it down.
Overkill on the motor stakes,but it was free at the time. Battery needs charging after every flight
Old Apr 02, 2012, 04:44 AM
New Zealand, Auckland, Waitakere
Joined Jan 2012
55 Posts
Well done Brian! Great model, even better pilot ehh!! Out of curiosity what is the heaviest you have flown Watts up? And what is it weighing in at now with the Rhino 1065 3s Lipo in it? Is there anyone else in New Zealand flying a Watts Up?
HughesBrothers is offline Find More Posts by HughesBrothers
Old Apr 03, 2012, 10:39 AM
Joined Sep 2009
371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HughesBrothers View Post
Well done Brian! Great model, even better pilot ehh!! Out of curiosity what is the heaviest you have flown Watts up? And what is it weighing in at now with the Rhino 1065 3s Lipo in it? Is there anyone else in New Zealand flying a Watts Up?
Weighs in at 1190 grams, in this set up. There has been other ones built in NZ & Australia, but have not seen any feed back on them.

I could not give an accurate answer as to the heaviest I have flown it. Better to make it more efficient if you can, that is why I did the new wing, using MH30 section, on the 2 metre for windy conditions. This worked well at the Nationals last year, when the wind was gusting in excess of 25 knots and it went forward like a train in negative flap setting, but would thermal well in neutral or flap at positive when required. All this with no ballast added.
I forgot to add that using this new wing has resulted in a model that I haved tried to have for some years, in that it will soar but is fully aerobatic as well. Reckon it would preform well on a slope as well.
Last edited by Essex BOF; Apr 04, 2012 at 02:20 AM. Reason: Addition