A picture of the centre panel. Tips have been done as well
Fen Tiger is offline Find More Posts by Fen Tiger
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2009, 12:30 PM
Mobile, AL
Joined Jul 2008
168 Posts
Wing loading

What is the wing loading? Square inches of wing?
lloyd3521 is offline Find More Posts by lloyd3521
Old Oct 15, 2009, 04:22 AM
Joined Sep 2009
380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patmcc
Hi Essex BOF, nice looking model. I haven't read the RCMW so this might be addressed in the article - It used to be considered necessary to position spoilers outboard of the tail span but I've noticed one or two modern gliders with them inboard as the Watts Up. Have you experienced any lack of elevator control or "funny" effects when the spoilers are deployed ?
This system came about from the Bubble Dancer by Mark Drela, which broke away from the system of seperate spoilers on each wing panel. I must admit to thinking as you did, that there would be an adverse effect on the tail surfaces, but can assure you that there is no adverse effect at all.
The only thing I would suggest, is to increase the length of the spoiler on the larger wing span if building this version, to increase the spoiler effect. The standard 100" wing is fine.
Essex BOF is online now Find More Posts by Essex BOF
Old Oct 15, 2009, 04:29 AM
Joined Sep 2009
380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyd3521
What is the wing loading? Square inches of wing?
Wing loading on 100" version is 7.6 ounces square foot

Wing loading on 124" version is 6.44 ounces square foot
Last edited by Essex BOF; Oct 19, 2009 at 05:28 AM.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 03:41 PM
Mobile, AL
Joined Jul 2008
168 Posts
Plans

Are there any .pdf plans available for one to review prior to purchasing the full size set??

Thanks,
Lloyd
lloyd3521 is offline Find More Posts by lloyd3521
Old Nov 05, 2009, 11:23 AM
Lincolnshire, UK
Joined Jul 2001
89 Posts
Another picture of the progress from last week. This is taken more time than first thought as I am busy again at work

The wing is complete, tail group attached to boom and boom attached to fuselage. All was done as per the build instructions.

Last night I put the planking on the fuz and filled in some gaps so it will have a final sand tonight and be ready for radio installation and covering.
Old Nov 15, 2009, 02:15 PM
Joined Sep 2009
380 Posts
I thought this below, may prove useful if any one is looking for the boom for the "Watts Up" or any other model for that matter.

purchased a couple of Middy Impact Poles and have subsequently ordered two replacement sections from Cheshire Fishing to use for this model.
The diam's of the sections are as follows:-
Bottom section tapers 21.2mm - 24.8 and if used you would have to remove the printing.
Bottom but one section tapers 16.3 - 19.6 and is the one that I have ordered.
Bottom section but two tapers 8.4 - 14.6
Top section tapers 4.4 - 6.5.

The cost of the replacement section was quoted to me at 2.99 each so I ordered two to save on future postage costs.
I might go fishing with the two complete poles that I have if I can't fly as well as I think I can.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 12:10 PM
Joined Jun 2009
4 Posts
Thanks, Essex_BOF - was going to post this advice on here as well but got sidetracked and it slipped my mind then.

One thing , however, - I ordered my replacement sections some weeks ago and they haven't arrived yet. This doesn't concern me at the moment because I have two other models to finish before I start on my Watts Up. A phone call to Cheshire Fishing the other day confirmed that they haven't had them in yet from Middy but I haven't been forgotten. So if someone is in a hurry it might be in their interest to actually order the complete Middy Impact Pole if they are in stock rather than wait.
Leslie_A is offline Find More Posts by Leslie_A
Old Nov 20, 2009, 01:55 PM
Joined Mar 2009
10 Posts
Thank Essex_BOF! Have tried an awful lot of places to source the boom - just met with blank (pardon the pun) looks most of the time.

This plan is a step forward for me in the construction methods but am looking forward to a challenge!

Andy
Wobblehead is offline Find More Posts by Wobblehead
Old Nov 21, 2009, 10:32 AM
Joined Sep 2009
380 Posts
Here is the link to the boom supplier in UK:-

http://www.cheshirefishing.co.uk/shop/middypoles.htm

As a rough guide to constructing the Watts Up, I would start with the tailplane, then the fin & rudder, assembly, then the platform for the tailplane> build fin & assemble fin onto boom. then add tailplane platform using the fin stern post to maintain squareness of tailplaine to fin at 90 degrees. This will give you a sub assembly to join to the main fuselage.
Whilst you doing this you can be thinking about how your going to construct the rest. Saves sitting for hours pouring over the drawing wondering how to do it.
I was taught this years ago as an apprentice toolmaker, to start on the bits you can get your head round, whilst running over the bits you do not quite understand
Last edited by Essex BOF; Nov 21, 2009 at 03:26 PM.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 02:43 PM
jeff fisher
Joined Feb 2005
1 Posts
If Cheshire have sold out there are several people selling them on ebay. Just search for Middy Impact. Complete poles only.
jeff fisher is offline Find More Posts by jeff fisher
Old Nov 22, 2009, 11:17 PM
Joined Feb 2009
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s14slide View Post
Looks like a nice bird. I'll be watching this. Especially knowing that there is a lasercut kit for it too!
As in they are selling just the DXF? That would be awesome, been looking for dxf plans, and as it turns out, people don't like sharing these
tlow is offline Find More Posts by tlow
Old Nov 23, 2009, 07:40 AM
Lincolnshire, UK
Joined Jul 2001
89 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow View Post
As in they are selling just the DXF? That would be awesome, been looking for dxf plans, and as it turns out, people don't like sharing these
Sadly there is no .dxf or electronic format for this. You have to order the plans and lazer cut kits from the magazine.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 10:32 PM
Thornleigh - 20k N of Sydney,N.S.W.,AUSTRALIA
Joined Aug 2001
746 Posts
Is it possible to buy the plan of this aircraft, or possibly give me Brian Austins contact and I'll contact him direct? Or maybe even contact RCMW and see if they've added the plan to their list. I only get Q&EFI from Traplet in the UK so missed this one.

Daffy.
Little Black Duck is offline Find More Posts by Little Black Duck
Old Nov 25, 2009, 06:50 AM
Central UK
Joined May 2003
187 Posts
Here you go Daffy,

https://shop.traplet.com/product.aspx?c=2772

Dave.
DACH is offline Find More Posts by DACH