SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 15, 2011, 03:09 PM
St. Neots, England
Joined Sep 2002
149 Posts
At last, almost exactly a year after purchasing the wood pack I have finished and successfully flown my Watts Up! I actualy finished building my model in July but I had a range problem with a range check first time out. The weather and holidays prevented the maiden flight until yesterday. Everything thing went very well, 2 beeps of right rudder and 4 beeps of down and she was flying straight and level. I just need to mix some up elevator in with the spoilers and everything should be perfect.

Thanks to Essex BOF for sharing your design, I'm very happy with my Watts Up!

Phil.
Phil_P is offline Find More Posts by Phil_P
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2011, 07:26 AM
Joined Jan 2008
7 Posts
Please do give some thought to providing plans for 2m version. SAE or small payment. Original been flying for quite a while with no problems.
keefy is offline Find More Posts by keefy
Old Aug 24, 2011, 03:10 PM
Joined Sep 2009
371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keefy View Post
Please do give some thought to providing plans for 2m version. SAE or small payment. Original been flying for quite a while with no problems.
What version are you referring to the early one using the inboard tip panels & existing centre panel or the one with the complete new wing and thinnersection(MH30)?
Essex BOF is offline Find More Posts by Essex BOF
Old Aug 24, 2011, 03:29 PM
Joined Sep 2009
371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermal Rider View Post
Many thanks Brian,

I had got the Watts Up confused with the Alacrity. Thankyou for clarity on the situation.

I shall reconsider my thoughts on the servo layout, after your advice.

Just to remind you that the Turnigy 540L V-Spec 810kv Inrunner Motor (www.hobbyking.com) is one of the cheapest options for this model, and therefore there may be a lot of people having the same speed controller problem.

Summer Wind? If only the weather was like that!

Cheers
Came across this picture of the Summer Wind circa 1976 that was mentioned in the mail before this one, while writing memoirs of the past 60 years modelling, have attached picture for nostalgia bufs. Had a swept forward wing planform.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 02:49 AM
Joined Sep 2009
371 Posts
It was nice to meet up with two prospective builders of the WU, from Scotland at the Silent Flight Nats at Cottesmore. I don't know there names but we had an informative chat, between frenetic activity.

One thing that strikes me is that no sane person would fly models in the conditions that prevailed over the weekend, especially on the Sunday for the 2 metre event, where the wind was gusting over 25mph, which led to the event being condensed into 5 rounds from the 7 intended.
But that is what comp flying is about, so on we went, the insane that is, as quite afew elected not to fly.

Funny that the same conditions have prevailed over the last 4 years to my knowledge, which tells you that the time of year is not the best to hold them in. Big bonus was the use of Cottesmore, over Spitalgate which is a dump IMHO.
It was these sort of conditions that led to the new wing being built with the MH30 section with flaps & ailerons to aid landing. These are a bonus for flying as well, in aiding penetration & a little for thermaling.
Ended up in 2nd place after leading for the first three rounds. Not sure what the final scores were as yet.
In the last slot of the event, where the wind had got up even more, had it all lined up for a good landing bonus, when the aplication of the crow breaking caused it to flip over onto the port wing, causing the damage shown in pictures, crushed top sheeting/ no damage on the bottom/ sheared off wing rear alighnment nylon bolt. All repaired now & shows it is a tough old bird, as the fuselage is still the original.
Highlight of the weekend was the display of the last flying Vulcan over Cottesmore, what more could an aviation buff want.( There is a bit of Video on this taken by Peter Mitchell on his Iphone,on my Facebook)
Old Sep 13, 2011, 06:37 AM
Joined Jan 2008
7 Posts
Plans for New Version

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essex BOF View Post
What version are you referring to the early one using the inboard tip panels & existing centre panel or the one with the complete new wing and thinnersection(MH30)?
Sorry did not make it clear - the complete new wing and thinner section.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 10:36 AM
Joined Sep 2009
371 Posts
Have attached cad drawing of the wing, with dimensions as a guide to anyone who has a desire to build one, I am short of time at the moment as I want to start a new project for next year, whilst putting another model together.

Had a problem after the Nationals when the Multplex motor gave up the ghost with the GB parting company from the motor. Not really wanting to buy another motor, modified the nose to accomadate a Kontronik 480 with 5.2 GB .

This involved opening out the nose former to 26mm dia for the mounting to bolt onto a new motor mount that had different bolt holes. New plate screws onto wood front with 4 csk screws, then motor cam be screwed onto plate as shown. Plate is from scrap fibreglass PC board.
Last edited by Essex BOF; Sep 14, 2011 at 10:10 AM.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 02:50 AM
Joined Sep 2009
371 Posts
If you go to page 17 of this thread, you will see that the wing being all sheet covered, does not really need a plan, as it can be marked out onto the sheets.
The hole for the wing mount will have to align up to the existing one in the fuselage if using that. Flaps/ailerons are from good C grain balsa, so no build up on them.

Wing sections can be supplied if required, or you can plot them yourself from a plotting program such as Profili or Tracfoil
Old Sep 16, 2011, 12:19 PM
Joined Jan 2008
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essex BOF View Post
Have attached cad drawing of the wing, with dimensions as a guide to anyone who has a desire to build one, I am short of time at the moment as I want to start a new project for next year, whilst putting another model together.
Would be grateful if wing sections available. Downloaded software but a little beyond my expertise.

Thanks
Old Oct 05, 2011, 11:37 AM
From The Lab
Beverly, MA 01915 USA
Joined May 2001
154 Posts
Can anyone assist me in getting the attention of Cheshire Fishing to purchase a pair of booms? I have emailed them twice - with no response.
Are there any alternative sources? I am in the USA - other side of the pond.

thanks!
skranish is offline Find More Posts by skranish
Old Oct 05, 2011, 01:02 PM
St. Neots, England
Joined Sep 2002
149 Posts
Quote:
Can anyone assist me in getting the attention of Cheshire Fishing to purchase a pair of booms? I have emailed them twice - with no response.
Are there any alternative sources? I am in the USA - other side of the pond
Hi Skranish

I got mine from ebay, I can't remember the name of the seller but if you search for "Middy Impact" you should find a few poles on offer. Not sure if you will find them on your local ebay though, if not you should find a UK dealer willing to post to you.

Phil.
Phil_P is offline Find More Posts by Phil_P
Old Oct 07, 2011, 08:44 AM
Joined Sep 2009
371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skranish View Post

thanks!
Found this on your side of the pond, need to check out sizes on the diameter, need approx 18mm (3/4") at the rear end to suit.

http://www.mudhole.com/Shop-Our-Cata...Rod-Blank-Sale
Old Oct 07, 2011, 01:56 PM
Joined Sep 2009
371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skranish View Post

thanks!
Found this on Amazon, say they have 4 in stock

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Middy-Impact.../dp/B004LSBZW4
Old Oct 24, 2011, 11:28 AM
Joined Sep 2009
371 Posts
Just an update at the end of the season for encouragement to others in that the 2 Metre "Watts Up" finished 1st in the Bartletts League plus a 2nd at the British Nationals in 2 metre class. Having the two wings is a bonus as to the weather conditions at any given time.

The standard WU suits the 100S RES class if there were one

Picture of how not to land was taken at the Tombridge comp by Jason Burns. Proved a blessing in disguise as the had wind got up, so the change of wing due to the damage of the ground loop, led to topping the 2 metre class
Old Nov 16, 2011, 04:31 AM
Joined Sep 2009
371 Posts
Received following correspondence from a builder of the Watts Up in Norfolk

Hello Brian

Enclosed a few “pics” of my Watts Up.

Maiden flight on a grey, grotty 5th November. Watts Up appeared to know it was bonfire night as it went up like a rocket.
It really exceeded its authority and stayed aloft far longer than it should have done, in the prevailing conditions.
I gave it a severe reprimand when it did eventually come down, but I fear I might have been talking to deaf wings. Subsequent flights have been just as wilful, with it staying aloft more than it should.
Thanks for a great model. I hope to instil some discipline by the time the proper soaring conditions arrive.

Trevor