HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 26, 2010, 10:32 AM
Joined Mar 2010
18 Posts
Hi Brian,

Here are a few photos
Thermal Rider is offline Find More Posts by Thermal Rider
Last edited by Thermal Rider; Nov 28, 2010 at 08:52 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2010, 10:00 AM
Joined Sep 2009
383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermal Rider View Post
Hi Brian and all,

I thought I would relay my own experience of Watts Up.

I changed the wing (LE is more swept back and inner/outer chord and tip chord increased. Also, the panel lengths are different, centre being 32", inner 18" and outer 16"). I like to experiment and aimed for a sports flying version with less chance of tip stalling and increased roll stability. That's my theory anyway and at least I tried something different. Also, I shortened the fuselage at the rear to emphasize the sleekness of the carbon tail boom. Note also, that I only used carbon for the wing hold-down plate (cloth), the stern post (cloth) and the fuselage boom. All other carbon was replaced with 1/32" plywood, as I quickly developed an aversion to carbon dust!

The model took 6 months to build whilst I have been ill and it was finished the day before I had a major operation. It has taken me 8 weeks to recover enough and yesterday the weather and I were ready for the maiden flight!

After initial trimming and a hand launch which resulted in an estimated 100 yard flight, the model was then launched with power on and flown for about 5 minutes. The model needs a few more tweaks, but is already floating very nicely.

I have already started on an 80" span, 8" main chord version of Watts Up with a shorter fuselage and most probably a V-tail. Interestingly, the wing area calculates at only about 2/3 of the original, so it will not perform like Brian's 2M wing, but the model will be for sport flying only and not for performance.

Thanks again to Brian for producing a capable model design, which can be easily modified.

Looking at the photo's, there is not a lot of difference to be seen so if you had not detailed what you had done it would have been difficult to tell, apart from the change in the taper on the LE.
Both the original versions that I made with the 2.54 & 3.1 metre wings, did not exhibit any tip stalling tendency's, due i think to keeping the tips light & having the straight LE with swept forward TE, gives sweep forward on the max camber point on the wing section.
I also chose this configuration to avoid people saying that the model was a crib of the AVA/Bubbledancer, which it is nothing like if you study the construction of the two.

I knew at the time that some flyers would choose to alter the design to their liking which is fine by me, especially if it improves the model's performance, that was why I did the larger wing version. The 2 metre version was done to compete in 2 metre events, without spending a fortune on a 2 metre model.

I agree on the carbon sheet handling problems, but get over that by using a vac to get rid of the dust, whilst working with it. But ply is fine, but does not have the same strength as carbon.

Anyway, well done & let us see some more & reports from yourself & others, on how you get on flying them.

I am about to start on a completely new 2 metre wing for windy conditions, so as I can take some of the ballast, that I had to use this year when the wind speed rose to over 15 mph plus

If you build a V tail version, beware of the handling when deploying spoiler or flaps, without having ailerons, to control the turn. V tails are notorius in this configuration, in having poor turning authority when using these controls on landing. That is why I added ailerons to the original Alacrity, so as to have full control on the landing phase.

On a different note a picture of the latest creation, not a glider though.
Essex BOF is offline Find More Posts by Essex BOF
Last edited by Essex BOF; Nov 28, 2010 at 05:59 AM.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 02:01 PM
Surrey, UK
Joined Sep 2006
7 Posts
All done now, not had it's maiden yet as my cobbled together motor/esc didn't have the guts. admitted defeat on saving cash and ordered a new motor. looking forward to flying as this has been a nice project to build.
Matt2383 is offline Find More Posts by Matt2383
Old Nov 28, 2010, 08:56 AM
Joined Mar 2010
18 Posts
Watts Up 80" span, 8" main wing chord version is now being built. I will post some photos soon.
Thermal Rider is offline Find More Posts by Thermal Rider
Last edited by Thermal Rider; Dec 01, 2010 at 10:14 AM.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 11:43 AM
Joined Sep 2009
383 Posts
I also chose this configuration to avoid people saying that the model was a crib of the AVA/Bubbledancer, which it is nothing like if you study the construction of the two.

View this link for a bonus, on the tailplane & servo arrangement, over the one in the AVA

AVA launch crash (0 min 16 sec)
Last edited by Essex BOF; Dec 01, 2010 at 03:56 AM.
Old Dec 01, 2010, 12:02 PM
Gnd/Heli Interface Tester
Essex UK
Joined Jul 2005
360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt2383 View Post
All done now, not had it's maiden yet as my cobbled together motor/esc didn't have the guts. admitted defeat on saving cash and ordered a new motor. looking forward to flying as this has been a nice project to build.
Good stuff Matt.... looking forward to seeing it maidened Will you have it kitted for Xmass ? If so, I'll bring something to fly other than a slope model and we can fly Croydon airport?
jiberjaber is offline Find More Posts by jiberjaber
Old Dec 06, 2010, 10:02 AM
Surrey, UK
Joined Sep 2006
7 Posts
yeah should be finished, assuming the snow doesn't stop the post till then. Bring something along to croydon.
Matt2383 is offline Find More Posts by Matt2383
Old Dec 16, 2010, 06:09 AM
Joined Sep 2009
383 Posts
Have started a build on a new 2 metre wing, for windy conditions plus better looking to answer some of the coments on the looks. The original performed so well, in the 2 metre version that i wanted to make it, my model of choice, in this class. This version will have flaps/ailerons for crow breaking & camber change
To this end the the wing is now tapered on the centre panel, 10 inches down to 9 inches & the tip panels from 9 down to 6 inches at the tips & maintaining the tips as on the original 2 metre.
Wing section is now MH30 for greater speed & less drag, hopefully

Pictures of start of build on center panel. Will post others as I go along.
Last edited by Essex BOF; Dec 16, 2010 at 02:37 PM.
Old Jan 01, 2011, 06:41 AM
Joined Sep 2009
383 Posts
Update on wing construction. Bit slow due to Christmas festivities.
No carbon used this time around tubes as on original, saves a bit of time & being 2 metres don't think it needs it,
Used carbon on hold down block for wing bolt
Old Jan 19, 2011, 07:01 AM
Joined Sep 2009
383 Posts
Latest pictures of the wing build on 2 metre
Old Mar 11, 2011, 10:45 AM
Joined Sep 2009
383 Posts
Well at last I have finished the wings & flown the model. Took a bit of sorting out in as much as coupled ailerons and rudder are a bit uneccessary as it turns fine on ailerons only. Indeed it is very aerobatic now being capable of upward rolls cuban 8's etc. Penetration is very good with no ballast, but there is room if you need it. landings are now a cinch with the crow braking
The fuselage & tailplane are as on the original plan, wing redesign looks a bit better with the increased taper.

Think it will be very capable will fly it in the league this year which will reveal all no doubt,
Last edited by Essex BOF; Mar 27, 2011 at 10:52 AM.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 02:56 PM
St. Neots, England
Joined Sep 2002
149 Posts
Hi Brian

Your 2 metre Watts Up looks great. I like the flaps and ailerons it should give the model a new dimension.

Good luck in the league.

My Watts Up is coming along slowly, I'm hoping to fly it this spring. The wings are built, fin and tailplane are built, I'm just finisihing off the tailplane pylon then on to the fuselage. Then the covering and 101 little jobs that will need doing and she should fly.

Phil.
Phil_P is offline Find More Posts by Phil_P
Old Mar 12, 2011, 09:12 AM
Joined Sep 2009
383 Posts
If any one who is building a Watts Up, might be interested in the tip panels for the 2.5 & 3.1 metre versions I am willing to part with them as I have more than enough models to see me out. Need the centre panel, so that would need to be made. Price negotiable. Will be at OW Swapmeet next Sunday.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 11:55 AM
Joined Sep 2009
383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_P View Post
Hi Brian

Your 2 metre Watts Up looks great. I like the flaps and ailerons it should give the model a new dimension.

Phil.
You are right, just for a bit of fun I tried throwing it about at the weekend and it was on a par with an XPerience Pro that I have in that it is aerobatic but still capable of soaring when required. Make gliding that bit more interesting, to have that ability.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 04:04 PM
Joined Sep 2009
383 Posts
Some pictures here showing off what the new wing can do. As I was saying in the last post, it has transformed the model into an all round model, happy to thermal with the best or fly aerobatics. Glides well inverted, with negative camber even thermals and turns equally well on ailerons or rudder on there own.

Might do plans for the new wing if there is enough interest.
Last edited by Essex BOF; Mar 29, 2011 at 02:32 AM.