HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 29, 2010, 04:58 AM
Joined Sep 2009
380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_P View Post
At long last I've made a start on my Watts Up! I've built the first stage of the centre panel and port inner tip panel. A couple of questions if somebody could help please. The vertical part of the spoiler box that is inset into the wing ribs, is this cut from 10mm x 2mm balsa? I cannnot find a reference to this on plan. The next part I'm unsure of, is there a brace between the two wing tip panels?

Thanks

Phil.
Phil
Trouble is when I design models, bits like you refer to get forgotten or shall we say taken for granted. This part for the front & back, for that matter is from stiff 1/16th sheet balsa, it is not load bearing.

There are no braces where the tips join the inner tip panel, as the load again is not high, plus if you do have an accident, they can be glued back on, with the minimum of problems. Used this for years, so now standardise on this for outer tips.
Essex BOF is online now Find More Posts by Essex BOF
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2010, 07:06 AM
St. Neots, England
Joined Sep 2002
149 Posts
Thanks Brian, I just thought I would check before messing up my wing.

Phil.
Phil_P is offline Find More Posts by Phil_P
Old Oct 12, 2010, 05:55 AM
Surrey, UK
Joined Sep 2006
7 Posts
Thought I'd drop in and say that I seem to have inherited Jiberjaber's Watts up. Wings are mostly built and started on the pod. I'll get some pictures up here when I remember to take the camera to the build.
Matt2383 is offline Find More Posts by Matt2383
Old Oct 12, 2010, 03:34 PM
Gnd/Heli Interface Tester
Essex UK
Joined Jul 2005
360 Posts
Glad to see you found the thread Matt... get it built and you can join us at Bartletts for the thermal comps
jiberjaber is online now Find More Posts by jiberjaber
Old Oct 22, 2010, 05:25 AM
Joined Sep 2009
380 Posts
The much maligned 2 Metre Watts Up managed to win the 2 Metre Bartletts League, even though it flew in only 5 of the 7 listed comps, & this against more sophisticated models such as Sprite etc.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 08:54 AM
St. Neots, England
Joined Sep 2002
149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essex BOF View Post
The much maligned 2 Metre Watts Up managed to win the 2 Metre Bartletts League, even though it flew in only 5 of the 7 listed comps, & this against more sophisticated models such as Sprite etc.
Congratulations on another win, but who maligned the 2 Metre Watts Up????

Phil.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 04:15 AM
Joined Sep 2009
380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_P View Post
Congratulations on another win, but who maligned the 2 Metre Watts Up????

Phil.
Have a look at this page

http://www.esoaring.net/forum/viewto...&sd=a&start=40
Old Oct 24, 2010, 05:17 AM
St. Neots, England
Joined Sep 2002
149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essex BOF View Post
Ah, I see what you mean. Life is full of "experts" These people will tell you "that won't work" without even trying it for themselves.
I admire people like yourself who carry on and try something to see if it will work, and as you demonstrated, it does

My standard size Watts Up wing is coming along slowly, should be ready for the spring, no hope of finishing it this season.

Phil.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 04:40 PM
Surrey, UK
Joined Sep 2006
7 Posts
People love to tell us what won't work, it somehow makes them feel better I guess....
Anyhow as promised got the camera to the build, got the LE shaped since this was taken. Dog decided to be in the shot no matter what I tried.
Matt2383 is offline Find More Posts by Matt2383
Old Oct 27, 2010, 04:44 PM
Gnd/Heli Interface Tester
Essex UK
Joined Jul 2005
360 Posts
Great stuff Matt, looks like it wont be short off a maiden I'll look forward to seeing in the flesh at the weekend.

(Wind looks good for Colley Hill this Sat if you fancy some Sat morning flying?)
jiberjaber is online now Find More Posts by jiberjaber
Old Nov 13, 2010, 12:30 PM
Sheffield-UK
Joined Aug 2008
30 Posts
How effective is the spoiler ?

Can anyone describe how effective is the pop up spoiler when used on a 3.1 mtr version? What sort of descent rate can you get and what sort of nose down landing approach angle is possible?
phil9x9 is offline Find More Posts by phil9x9
Old Nov 16, 2010, 10:04 AM
Joined Sep 2009
380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil9x9 View Post
Can anyone describe how effective is the pop up spoiler when used on a 3.1 mtr version? What sort of descent rate can you get and what sort of nose down landing approach angle is possible?
This type of spoiler give's a very steep nose down descent & will require approx 25% UP elevator to compensate for this. Try about 70 degrees spoiler angle to start with, then alter to suit.
I would not reccomend using a switch for the spoiler, use a throttle stick or slider control, so as it is not all, or nothing, but adjustable in flight.

You should find that with adjustment, a fairly level approach can be made, but a slight nose down attitude is advisable, so as to have some forward speed to maintain control.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 02:35 PM
Sheffield-UK
Joined Aug 2008
30 Posts
Sounds good.
Thanks for tips.

Phil

PS.
Wings & all tail assy complete,
Just fuzz to build.
Great design, simple but very elegant.
phil9x9 is offline Find More Posts by phil9x9
Old Nov 25, 2010, 08:32 AM
Joined Mar 2010
18 Posts
Finished and flown

Hi Brian and all,

I thought I would relay my own experience of Watts Up.

I changed the wing (LE is more swept back and inner/outer chord and tip chord increased. Also, the panel lengths are different, centre being 32", inner 18" and outer 16"). I like to experiment and aimed for a sports flying version with less chance of tip stalling and increased roll stability. That's my theory anyway and at least I tried something different. Also, I shortened the fuselage at the rear to emphasize the sleekness of the carbon tail boom. Note also, that I only used carbon for the wing hold-down plate (cloth), the stern post (cloth) and the fuselage boom. All other carbon was replaced with 1/32" plywood, as I quickly developed an aversion to carbon dust!

The model took 6 months to build whilst I have been ill and it was finished the day before I had a major operation. It has taken me 8 weeks to recover enough and yesterday the weather and I were ready for the maiden flight!

After initial trimming and a hand launch which resulted in an estimated 100 yard flight, the model was then launched with power on and flown for about 5 minutes. The model needs a few more tweaks, but is already floating very nicely.

I have already started on an 80" span, 8" main chord version of Watts Up with a shorter fuselage and most probably a V-tail. Interestingly, the wing area calculates at only about 2/3 of the original, so it will not perform like Brian's 2M wing, but the model will be for sport flying only and not for performance.

Thanks again to Brian for producing a capable model design, which can be easily modified.
Thermal Rider is offline Find More Posts by Thermal Rider
Old Nov 26, 2010, 08:06 AM
Joined Sep 2009
380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermal Rider View Post
Hi Brian and all,

I thought I would relay my own experience of Watts Up.

I changed the wing (LE is more swept back and inner/outer chord and tip chord increased. Also, the panel lengths are different, centre being 32", inner 18" and outer 16"). I like to experiment and aimed for a sports flying version with less chance of tip stalling and increased roll stability. That's my theory anyway and at least I tried something different. Also, I shortened the fuselage at the rear to emphasize the sleekness of the carbon tail boom. Note also, that I only used carbon for the wing hold-down plate (cloth), the stern post (cloth) and the fuselage boom. All other carbon was replaced with 1/32" plywood, as I quickly developed an aversion to carbon dust!

The model took 6 months to build whilst I have been ill and it was finished the day before I had a major operation. It has taken me 8 weeks to recover enough and yesterday the weather and I were ready for the maiden flight!

After initial trimming and a hand launch which resulted in an estimated 100 yard flight, the model was then launched with power on and flown for about 5 minutes. The model needs a few more tweaks, but is already floating very nicely.

I have already started on an 80" span, 8" main chord version of Watts Up with a shorter fuselage and most probably a V-tail. Interestingly, the wing area calculates at only about 2/3 of the original, so it will not perform like Brian's 2M wing, but the model will be for sport flying only and not for performance.

Thanks again to Brian for producing a capable model design, which can be easily modified.
How about some pictures to see what it looks like with the changes?