Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 12, 2010, 04:51 AM
Joined Sep 2009
363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWalker View Post
I have just ordered the plan and wood pack and have been told it will be about two weeks before it arrives here in Queensland, so I will have time to sort out a few things.

Would a Jeti Phasor 30/3 with a 10/6 folder be suitable as I have one spare at the moment. Failing that I have a couple of 4.4 to 1 gear boxes I could use, I would just have to source a suitable motor. ESC's and batteries are not an issue as I have most sizes available.

So I guess it is a case of waiting waiting...

I will post build photos as I go along.
Hi Dave

I put in the spec you were giving in the quote above into what I use to find things out http://brantuas.com/ezcalc/dma1.asp

This came up with 65 ounces thrust, using the Phasor 30/3/ 10X6 folder/45 amp esc & 2100 3 cell Lipo on direct drive. This should be more than enough to give a very good climb out

Will be interesting to follow how you get on in Australia with the model.
Essex BOF is online now Find More Posts by Essex BOF
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 13, 2010, 01:03 AM
Suncoaster
Australia, QLD, Cooloola Cove
Joined Jan 2006
143 Posts
Servo choice

What do you think of these servos for the rudder and elevator.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=7026

Dave
DavidWalker is online now Find More Posts by DavidWalker
Old Jun 13, 2010, 04:26 AM
Joined Sep 2009
363 Posts
Quote:
What do you think of these servos for the rudder and elevator.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=7026

Dave
They look very good on the spec & feedback supports that view.
Just bare in mind that buying the best is important as the rudder/elevator are your prime controls, spoilers are not so important, obviously.
Still I am tempted, if I had a use for them
Old Jun 13, 2010, 05:10 AM
Suncoaster
Joined Jan 2006
143 Posts
Thanks Brian, I have used these servos before, on ailerons, on a couple of smaller models and they have performed very well, so I will give them a try. I will watch them carefully as I am aware that they will be operating the primary flight controls. I will let you know how they perform.

Dave
Old Jun 13, 2010, 09:20 AM
Joined Sep 2009
363 Posts
Well, I have now flown the 2 metre version & quite honestly I am surprised as to how well it performs. There is always a doubht in your mind when resizing an existing design, as to how it will fly, compared to the existing one.
Well if anything I reckon it is very good & now give's me a model to fly in the 2 metre class of my own. Moved the Lipo back to the former under wing, to get the CG back, as the elevator was a bit sluggish with it in the position for the 100s & 3.1 metre version. CG now at 3.2 inches back from LE. Nothing else was altered.
Also note that the original model is as it was apart from the change of wing tips.
Very easy to fly, with good penetration & lift characteristics.
Will download a log on it when I get a minute.
So if you build the original from the plan/pack, do a copy of the inner tip panel, ribs, before glueing them in, so as to make this version if required.
Have attached some pictures taken today by Peter Mitchell.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 07:46 AM
Joined May 2007
1 Posts
Could you just clarify for me - to build the 2m wing it has the same centre section as the original with tips using the rib pattern from the inner panel of the original (Centre section to Inner/outer tip section)

Just started build - it looks very impressive - thanks for a great build thread makes life much easier. For motor I will use 4Max PPI 3652-1500
RStonham is offline Find More Posts by RStonham
Old Jun 14, 2010, 10:27 AM
Joined Sep 2009
363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RStonham View Post
Could you just clarify for me - to build the 2m wing it has the same centre section as the original with tips using the rib pattern from the inner panel of the original (Centre section to Inner/outer tip section)

Just started build - it looks very impressive - thanks for a great build thread makes life much easier. For motor I will use 4Max PPI 3652-1500
I obviously never made that clear as I thought.
Yes the model is exactly as shown on the first page pictures of this thread, in it's original 100S configuration & also with the larger wing tips to make it up to 3.1 metre's. Note the original centre section/fuselage/tailplane colouring, to confirm. So you need to construct two new Inner Tip Panels
& add the tips as shown from 3/32 sheet 1.6 inches wide (41mm), with soft sheet/block reinforcement, as shown on the build thread fo 2 metre.
They are glued along the bottom of the airfoil & angled up at 16 degrees.The object is to give any cofiguration,by simply changing the tip panels & moving the battery back to adjust for the different CG position, due to the increased mean wing chord of the 2 metre version.
I do not say it is attractive as the original. but to do that you would have to scale it down to 78% of the original. This would require a whole new set of parts & plan, although there are print shops that will do that for you.

But as I said previously, it has surprised me with it's flying qualities.
If it had been a dog, it would have disappeared without trace

Cannot comment on the motor you want to use as I have not heard of it, sorry.
Last edited by Essex BOF; Jun 15, 2010 at 03:09 AM.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 10:42 AM
Joined Sep 2009
363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RStonham View Post

I obviously never made that clear as I thought.
Yes the model is exactly as shown on the first page pictures of this thread, in it's original 100S configuration & also with the larger wing tips to make it up to 3.1 metre's. Note the original centre section/fuselage/tailplane colouring, to confirm. You need to build 2 new INNER TIP PANELS, add3/32 sheet X1.6 inches (41mm) wide,then shaped in plan view to give shape shown, glued at an angle of 16 degrees UP, then add soft block/sheet reinforcement, at front & back as shown on the build thread.

The object is to give any cofiguration,by simply changing the tip panels & moving battery back to adjust for the different CG position, due to he increased mean wing chord of the 2 metre version.
I do not say it is attractive as the original. but to do that you would have to scale it down to 78% of the original. This would require a whole new set of parts & plan, although there are print shops that will do that for you.

But as I said previously, it has surprised me with it's flying qualities.
If it had been a dog, it would have disappeared without trace

Cannot comment on the motor you want to use as I have not heard of it, sorry.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 02:46 AM
Joined Sep 2009
363 Posts
Flew the 2 metre version in Bartletts Comp 20th June. Placed 4th overall & won the 2 metre class. See full results on E Soaring site.

http://www.esoaring.net/forum/viewto...&sd=a&start=10

Some flying shots curtesy of Peter Hindle
Last edited by Essex BOF; Jun 23, 2010 at 02:15 AM.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 09:09 AM
St. Neots, England
Joined Sep 2002
149 Posts
Quote:
Flew the 2 metre version in Bartletts Comp 20th June. Placed 4th overall & won the 2 metre class. See full results on E Soaring site.
Good stuff, you won the 2M class first time out It proves to be a great design flown by a great pilot.

I must get started on mine.

Phil.
Phil_P is offline Find More Posts by Phil_P
Old Jun 25, 2010, 05:55 AM
Joined Sep 2009
363 Posts
Some picture's of a fellow club member, Derek Weeks, with his very nicely built & finished Watts Up. The carbon/kevlar effect on the wing & hatch is done with Profilm. Caught me out as well
Old Jul 07, 2010, 05:10 AM
Joined Sep 2009
363 Posts
Have had a problem with the height limiter unit which proved to be a servo fault on the spoiler servo. Fitted a new servo & took the model out (2 metre version) for a test. Recorded the flights shown at 1600-1700pm on Tuesday
6th July at Bartletts Farm, Essex.
Believe me a 2 metre model is hard to see at 500 metre, so if the eyesight is not great, stick to the bigger versions.
Old Jul 09, 2010, 09:25 PM
Suncoaster
Joined Jan 2006
143 Posts
Build about to start

Well my plan and wood pack arrived yesterday, so build will start after I get my 1/6 scale cub off the bench and into the air. My only problem to date has been trying to source the boom, most of the fishing supply shops don't have blanks so have had to try further afield. I assume so long as it is 18mm wide at the rear thew front diameter does not matter as much.

Will post pictures once I get started.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 05:11 AM
Joined Sep 2009
363 Posts
Quote:
Well my plan and wood pack arrived yesterday, so build will start after I get my 1/6 scale cub off the bench and into the air. My only problem to date has been trying to source the boom, most of the fishing supply shops don't have blanks so have had to try further afield. I assume so long as it is 18mm wide at the rear thew front diameter does not matter as much.

Will post pictures once I get started.
Cannot help much with sourcing the boom in Australia, I am afraid.
This is the link to the one I used http://www.cheshirefishing.co.uk/shop/middypoles.htm
which is the 4 metre mddi pole priced at 12.99 here in UK. Use the second joint up from base.
Pretty sure this is available world wide as it is to cheap to be made here.

As long as the rear end is 18mm dia, the rest as you say does not matter.

PS Don't forget if you want to make the 2 metre wing tips, to copy the inner tip panel ribs onto sheet so as you have them for later use if required.
Last edited by Essex BOF; Jul 11, 2010 at 03:43 AM.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 02:09 AM
Joined Mar 2010
18 Posts
This is the link to the one I used http://www.cheshirefishing.co.uk/shop/middypoles.htm
which is the 4 metre mddi pole priced at 12.99 here in UK. Use the second joint up from base.
Pretty sure this is available world wide as it is to cheap to be made here.

Hi Brian

FYI: The Middy Impact poles are made by Middy Tackle International in Heanor, Derbyshire, UK (www.middytackle.com). They do not sell direct to the public, though.

Cheers
Thermal Rider is offline Find More Posts by Thermal Rider