SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 10, 2009, 04:14 AM
Cat Rack
Lyle, WA
Joined Dec 2000
1,478 Posts
Discussion
Finally, some sanity on Czars

I have little doubt this will be intensely fought and I have little more doubt who will oppose it. This is a basic, reasonable idea for the persons given so much power to be accountable to Congress.

Quote:
Rep. Patrick McHenry (R-N.C.) on Wednesday called for President Obama's "czars," or appointed high-level advisers, to testify before Congress about their "authority and responsibilities" in the executive branch.

The president's "czars" have become a point of controversy among his opponents because they do not have to be confirmed by the Senate as cabinet-level officials do.

McHenry wrote to committee chairman Edolphus Towns (D-N.Y.) and ranking member Darrell Issa (R-Calif.) asking the appointed officials to testify.

"If the czars have high-level, decision-making authority as their titles would indicate, then it is my concern that their appointment without Senate approval represents a circumvention of our Constitutionally-mandated confirmation process," McHenry, who is a member of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, said in his letter.

Czars were in the spotlight again after "green jobs" czar Van Jones' resigned this weekend. It was revealed that Jones made harsh comments about Republicans and signed a "truther" petition alleging that the government played a role in the 9/11 attacks.

"His ability to slip into a position of power without due Congressional diligence only further underscores the necessity for a confirmation process," the third-term Republican said of Jones.
No kidding. A communist and racist radical winds up a Czar without any approval, testimony, or even a statute based description of his powers and limitations.

The Czars should testify
MtnGoat is offline Find More Posts by MtnGoat
Old Sep 10, 2009, 05:07 AM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGoat
I have little doubt this will be intensely fought and I have little more doubt who will oppose it. This is a basic, reasonable idea for the persons given so much power to be accountable to Congress.

No kidding. A communist and racist radical winds up a Czar without any approval, testimony, or even a statute based description of his powers and limitations.

The Czars should testify
In that case, I would hope that Czar Karl Rove would adso be summoned for, e.g., his role in dismissing state attorneys on political grounds.
martin richards is online now Find More Posts by martin richards
Old Sep 10, 2009, 06:37 AM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,167 Posts
A nutter on that link responded:

Quote:
A takeover of the U.S. government will be attempted by the Obama administration at some point.
Yep, I think you missed it. January 20, he took over the US government as the executive in charge, we call him the President.
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop
Last edited by Treetop; Sep 10, 2009 at 06:58 AM.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 07:14 AM
St. Boondock
Joined Aug 2008
731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGoat

The Czars should testify
I knew the Jones Cabal would spark some sort of thinking on PBO&Co. Hill.
FL Knifemaker is offline Find More Posts by FL Knifemaker
Old Sep 10, 2009, 08:06 AM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,529 Posts
I think it's perfectly logical to require the czars to testify before congress on their progress. Of course, I don't want to see congress start running things.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Old Sep 10, 2009, 09:03 AM
Houston Intercont, Texas, United States
Joined Jun 2001
122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin richards
In that case, I would hope that Czar Karl Rove would adso be summoned for, e.g., his role in dismissing state attorneys on political grounds.
In that case, Czar Hillary Clinton should also be summoned for her role in firing the travel office so her friends could get the job. Or don't you remember that?
mikefast is offline Find More Posts by mikefast
Old Sep 10, 2009, 09:08 AM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefast
In that case, Czar Hillary Clinton should also be summoned for her role in firing the travel office so her friends could get the job. Or don't you remember that?
No, but you'll no doubt post a link. In any case, I thought Congress already had the right to summon a Secretary of State.
martin richards is online now Find More Posts by martin richards
Old Sep 10, 2009, 10:09 AM
And You're Not
Timbuktu, Mali (Happy?)
Joined Oct 2002
6,514 Posts
Quote:
No, but you'll no doubt post a link. In any case, I thought Congress already had the right to summon a Secretary of State.
Hint: She did it when her husband was President, not while she was Secretary of State.
Jeffery is offline Find More Posts by Jeffery
Old Sep 10, 2009, 02:15 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2000
8,535 Posts
Quote:
Um, he never held the title 'czar'... but don't let reality get in the way of trying to derail a thread...
Arbo is offline Find More Posts by Arbo
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)