Old Sep 09, 2009, 08:41 PM
Thermal seeker
Brunswick, Ohio
Joined Jul 2005
566 Posts
Discussion
LED Strips (Like UH LED Strips) Dim with Throttle

Hey all,

Anyone know why my LED Strips are dimming when I apply throttle to the plane? I have 3 different "circuits" which all are spliced into the battery connector on the ESC on the appropriate polarities. See diagram please.

I understand the motor is taking power and therefore dimming the lights, but I have this same wiring on my heli which does not display this dimming behaviour.

I can not night fly with this plane because when I power up the lights go out! Well, the blue and green do - the red stays somewhat visible.

Any advice?

Thank you,

-Mike
Bohh33 is offline Find More Posts by Bohh33
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2009, 05:35 PM
Bonnie Scotland
Joined Jun 2004
847 Posts
I suspect the problem lies with the capacity of the battery. As you draw more current to supply the motor, the battery voltage is dropping below the point at which the LEDs can operate. From your wiring diagram you appear to be using the flexible strips which can be cut into groups of three. These are supposed to operate at around 12V so you are nearly a volt down, at 11.1, straight away. If you have a voltmeter you could check my suggestion. If correct you might try using a higher C battery, say 25C instead of 15C. You don't give battery details in your post.
electrotor is offline Find More Posts by electrotor
Last edited by electrotor; Sep 10, 2009 at 05:40 PM.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 08:59 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,417 Posts
'''
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Last edited by Mark Wood; Nov 04, 2009 at 08:25 AM. Reason: wrong answer
Old Oct 29, 2009, 05:29 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,331 Posts
Get this:
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Dial to 12V output and connect between battery and LED strips.
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez
Old Nov 01, 2009, 09:35 PM
characters welcome!
Joined Feb 2000
26,417 Posts
Got the light strips installed on the Superfly and I have learned something and that is the HC strip lights don't really care for 2s operation. The voltage sags too much for all colors but red which stays fairly bright. Run your planes on 3s and the strips are absolutely terrific.

I put the 'Fly in the air this evening and shook the neighborhood up a bit. All the rest of my night planes are pretty silent (SlowStik, Duskstik, etc) so this moaning mid-motor setup got attention quickly.
Pics eventually.

mw
Old Nov 01, 2009, 10:07 PM
Nova Scotia
Joined Mar 2002
753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wood View Post
Got the light strips installed on the Superfly and I have learned something and that is the HC strip lights don't really care for 2s operation. The voltage sags too much for all colors but red which stays fairly bright. Run your planes on 3s and the strips are absolutely terrific.

I put the 'Fly in the air this evening and shook the neighborhood up a bit. All the rest of my night planes are pretty silent (SlowStik, Duskstik, etc) so this moaning mid-motor setup got attention quickly.
Pics eventually.

mw
Mark, what size 3s do you run in the Superfly? Did you enlarge the space for the battery? My 2s 1200's are a tight fit. I'm having the same problem as Bohh33 with xerogear strips. For a quick fix I piggybacked a 9v alkaline but would rather be using power from the main batt.
Bolter
Bolter is offline Find More Posts by Bolter
Old Nov 02, 2009, 08:32 AM
characters welcome!
Joined Feb 2000
26,417 Posts
I just ordered some Tenergy 1520 for it but it was running just fine on a 3s Innov8tive 1650 and some no-name 1300 (I think) that's about the same size as the Turnigy.

I did quite a lot of canopy shaping. I'll get some pics and post tonight if I'm not out flying.

mw
Old Nov 02, 2009, 07:16 PM
Nova Scotia
Joined Mar 2002
753 Posts
Great Mark, would appreciate it, thanks.
Bolter
Old Nov 02, 2009, 10:53 PM
characters welcome!
Joined Feb 2000
26,417 Posts
Mmmkay. First two taken at the park this evening. Neighbor also had a lighted SlowStik there too.
The rest of the pics show the canopy trim and RE magnets. The red dot center rear is a blinking red beacon mounted inside the foam with a window visible top and bottom. The lights are controlled via electronic switch from the transmitter and fed via auxiliary plug on battery connector.

You do NOT want to be looking at this thing at close range when you are out in the dark. Your night vision goes away for a good thirty seconds. Got some video this evening too. Lemme get that figured out tomorrow.

mw
Last edited by Mark Wood; Nov 02, 2009 at 11:01 PM.
Old Nov 03, 2009, 05:40 PM
Nova Scotia
Joined Mar 2002
753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wood View Post
Mmmkay. First two taken at the park this evening. Neighbor also had a lighted SlowStik there too.
The rest of the pics show the canopy trim and RE magnets. The red dot center rear is a blinking red beacon mounted inside the foam with a window visible top and bottom. The lights are controlled via electronic switch from the transmitter and fed via auxiliary plug on battery connector.

You do NOT want to be looking at this thing at close range when you are out in the dark. Your night vision goes away for a good thirty seconds. Got some video this evening too. Lemme get that figured out tomorrow.

mw
Thanks Mark! couple more questions, do you velcro the batt to plane and what kind of tape did you use over the lights? None of the packing tapes I had would stick to that foam.
Cheers!
Bolter
Old Nov 03, 2009, 07:11 PM
characters welcome!
Joined Feb 2000
26,417 Posts
The battery is velcro'd to the plane. Before affixing the velcro to the foam I hit it with a layer of thin CA and kicker. It gives the adhesive something to stick to. The battery "seat belt" is hot glued in.
The tape is BlenDerm surgical tape. I get it at SureFlite and it works great. There is a layer of clear packing tape over the Blenderm on the leading edge. Now for the video.

Ingredients:
- One Superfly, regrettably out of production.
- Add 114 led strip lights and a single red beacon led.
- 3s battery power via auxiliary connector to a Turnigy electronic switch plugged
into receiver and slaved to transmitter switch of choice.
- Head to the park the first evening of Pacific Standard Time.
- Throttle up and get the neighborhood's attention. Quick.

MCAS Miramar providing sound effects.

Apologies to Mike for hijacking his thread.
I think we solved his problem though.

mw

Superfly at night (3 min 52 sec)
Last edited by Mark Wood; Nov 04, 2009 at 08:34 AM. Reason: I keep thinking of stuff to add
Old Jan 02, 2010, 06:51 AM
Nuke em and lets fly...
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2007
326 Posts
I have a Firefly that I fly at night with a 3S and like the fact that dim over time. This is a great way to let me know when I need to come in and land for a battery change. I get 5 good min before they even start to dim. My 2 cents...
BladeMan is offline Find More Posts by BladeMan
Old Aug 21, 2010, 05:46 PM
Joined Nov 2009
719 Posts
im using HC strip on my tricopter ,problem is thay r very bright and having problem focusing on the tri ,is there a way to make them dimmer
mastmalang70 is offline Find More Posts by mastmalang70
Old Aug 22, 2010, 11:07 PM
Ky
Joined Feb 2003
1,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastmalang70 View Post
im using HC strip on my tricopter ,problem is thay r very bright and having problem focusing on the tri ,is there a way to make them dimmer
Lower voltage, try hooking them up to a 2 cell lipo.
Dave Barrow is offline Find More Posts by Dave Barrow