Old Sep 09, 2009, 12:57 PM
Doing it in the Lateral Axis
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
New Product
E-Flite Celectra 4 port charger mods

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Search/Defa...4+port+charger

Ok, Just got one of these with the MSR and I'm totally impressed with it. It came with the plug in power supply I will be modding this charger for...

Parallel JST charge ports.
Switchable charge rate. (dual rates)
modfly is offline Find More Posts by modfly
Last edited by modfly; Sep 10, 2009 at 01:59 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2009, 01:21 PM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Apr 2009
1,978 Posts
Modfly,

looking forward to your 4port charger mod, switchable rates would be really cool. I'll be following in your footsteps if you post pics definitely.

So, is the MSR worth the cashola? I've been holding off on it (money is tight, had to choose between PZ-P51 and PZ-MSR, this month). Is it "that" much better then the mcx was, what your impressions?
elvill is offline Find More Posts by elvill
Old Sep 09, 2009, 01:35 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvill
Modfly,

looking forward to your 4port charger mod, switchable rates would be really cool. I'll be following in your footsteps if you post pics definitely.

So, is the MSR worth the cashola? I've been holding off on it (money is tight, had to choose between PZ-P51 and PZ-MSR, this month). Is it "that" much better then the mcx was, what your impressions?
Well, there are 3 new products available this month, The MSR, Micro P-51, and the P-40. The BNF MSR was in stock at the LHS for 129 so I went for it. I gotta admit that the 4 port Celectra was the kicker for me. So I may have to wait until next month to get the other 2 new planes.

I have flown the MSR 10 times now and I think its great I fly a Blade CP Pro and a Trex 450 as well and the MCX and even the 3 channel TT. The MSR is a revolutionary Heli as far as I can see. It can be controlled in a small area like the MCX and is as easy to control in that respect, however, open the MSR up in an open area and it can really fly fast and can get out of control fast unless your paying close attention. Its very addictive so beware! Some people have not been happy with it but I think they may be Heli newbies. Its not for a Heli newb IMO.

Is it worth the money? IMO, Yes.

Actually, the MSR is a great companion flier for the MCX. They compliment each other. When I fly Helli's, I like to fly one, then another, then back to the first. This way the Heli gets a rest and cool down between lipos. Never fly a small Heli like this back to back flights as that wears the motors out quick.

edit, Better mention this, the flight time for the MSR with the stock lipo is 5.5 minutes MAX IMO. It will go to 6 minutes but may hit LVC. Hitting LVC repeatedly is bad for the lipo and may shorten its life. I have the timer on my dx6i set for 5 minutes for the MSR and MCX. I can tell you that five minutes goes by very fast with the MSR.
Last edited by modfly; Sep 09, 2009 at 02:33 PM.
Old Sep 09, 2009, 07:34 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Checking the stock charge current.

This thing does indeed charge at 300ma.
Old Sep 09, 2009, 09:01 PM
Bay Area California
Joined Apr 2007
2,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by modfly
This thing does indeed charge at 300ma.
That's great news. Easily charge the 240mah hyperions...
sketchaholic is offline Find More Posts by sketchaholic
Old Sep 09, 2009, 10:54 PM
4000 posts?!
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2005
4,038 Posts
Hey Modfly, is the charge rate independent for each port, or is it one rate for all four?

Thanks,
Nick
micro_builder is offline Find More Posts by micro_builder
Old Sep 10, 2009, 12:53 AM
KC
Registered Loiterer.
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Sep 2006
3,870 Posts
Quote:
Key Features

Four independently functioning charging circuits to reliably charge your single-cell Li-Po batteries
AC to 6VDC power supply compatible
All 4 ports can be used simultaneously or one at a time
No need to use batteries while at home near a power source. Use our optional E-flite 6V power supply (EFLC1005)
High capacity D-size batteries provide many charges and mazimum portability
Charges E-fliteŽ and ParkZoneŽ single-cell Li-Po batteries.
http://www.e-fliterc.com/Search/Defa...4+port+charger

Parallel charge 3 X 110 mAh lipos per port (~1C) for 12 total lipo's charging at the same time. NICE!

KC
KC is offline Find More Posts by KC
Old Sep 10, 2009, 01:23 AM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by micro_builder
Hey Modfly, is the charge rate independent for each port, or is it one rate for all four?

Thanks,
Nick
Each port is independent of the other and has its own charge rate set by a POT on each port.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 06:24 AM
Slowflier
Palo Alto, CA
Joined Nov 2001
200 Posts
Are you sure that the pot controls the charge rate and not the top voltage?
adar is offline Find More Posts by adar
Old Sep 10, 2009, 11:05 AM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adar
Are you sure that the pot controls the charge rate and not the top voltage?
Why? have you taken one apart and checked it? Its possible that the pot controls the charge voltage set-point and if it does then no problem as I will find the resistor that sets the charge rate and mod that.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 11:55 AM
Slowflier
Palo Alto, CA
Joined Nov 2001
200 Posts
I have not opened one to be able to determine which way it goes. It just seems logical to me that an electrical engineer designing this charger would make the endpoint voltage adjustable, as it is absolutely critical with LIPO chemistry. On the other hand, if the charging current is anywhere between 200mah and 350mah probably nobody outside this forum would notice or care too much.

It may be the case that someone changed the position of the pot and saw a reduction in the output current, but that may be an artifact of the change in end voltage.

By the way, thanks for all the research you have done with the plane, power systems and now the charger. I've not participated much in the discussion but have certainly been following it and the information you have posted is very much appreciated.
adar is offline Find More Posts by adar
Old Sep 10, 2009, 12:07 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
I'm betting that this charger uses the POT to set the current charge rate. If they had a POT in there that changed the charge voltage set-point, that would be dangerous as any over charge of a lipo is bad news and I seriously would not recommended tampering with a charge voltage set-point unless you really know what your doing.
Last edited by modfly; Oct 24, 2009 at 12:01 PM.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 12:38 PM
Happy fly begin
Joined Aug 2004
681 Posts
After turning the pots fully counterclockwise, It would appear to me that it is now charging at closer to a 1c charge rate. Same flight time as the 3c charge, but over an hour now to charge, and the batteries are at the same voltage when fully charged. I will never think it is a good idea on any of Horizon's chargers to go over 1c, but they apparently don't think so. It will shorten battery life, as well as being a potential fire hazard charging at the stock 3c rate. Good for their battery sales though when your batteries don't last long due to current draw and 3c charging. My 120's come out of the MSR fairly warm to the touch, nothing like the mcx, which never seemed to get too warm...
JimH is offline Find More Posts by JimH
Old Sep 10, 2009, 12:53 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimH
After turning the pots fully counterclockwise, It would appear to me that it is now charging at closer to a 1c charge rate. Same flight time as the 3c charge, but over an hour now to charge, and the batteries are at the same voltage when fully charged. I will never think it is a good idea on any of Horizon's chargers to go over 1c, but they apparently don't think so. It will shorten battery life, as well as being a potential fire hazard charging at the stock 3c rate. Good for their battery sales though when your batteries don't last long due to current draw and 3c charging. My 120's come out of the MSR fairly warm to the touch, nothing like the mcx, which never seemed to get too warm...
Interesting, thanks Jim for that info. That verifies that the POT controls the charge rate just as I suspected it would. It would be a mistake to have an adjustable voltage set-point IMO. Horizon says these lipos tolerate higher than 1c charging well. They say the real killer is over discharge. In my experience, 1c charging does promote longer lipo life.

With all the talk about the MSR in other forums, I have not seen a current draw measurement so here it is..the MSR draws WOT 1.3-1.5 amps. Thats why the lipo gets warm. The MCX draws 850-900ma WOT (static).
Old Sep 10, 2009, 03:25 PM
Florida
Joined Dec 2004
93 Posts
Here is a charger mod I posted for the one port charger. It lets you charge up to 5 Ultra micro batteries off the one port. It could be easily done to the 4 port charger to let let you charge up to 25 batteries at once. This has the added benefit of reducing the total charge current to each cell so they last much longer than being slammed at 3C ! You could easily just make a JST adapter and do it without opening the unit.

Check it out.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1095523
tmenet is offline Find More Posts by tmenet