HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 08, 2009, 05:48 PM
USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,306 Posts
Question
39 inch Katana

Anyone seen this plane other than on ebay? It is a Sebart look alike but is smaller than the 30e version - 39 inch wing span.
Iflyrc_vic is online now Find More Posts by Iflyrc_vic
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2010, 08:50 PM
Loving Life!!!
United States, MO, St Louis
Joined Jan 2010
327 Posts
I would also like to know a bit more about the plane to.... Anyone flying this bird? If so, what motor, esc, servos, etc would you recommend?
jwilson32 is offline Find More Posts by jwilson32
Old Mar 20, 2010, 01:32 PM
United States, TX, Palacios
Joined Feb 2009
1,602 Posts
I got one coming and am putting an Omega 72g 1100kv motor with an Airboss 45 Elite ESC and Hitec HS-65's in it will let you know in a couple weeks how this combo flys...this will be replacing my Mini Showtime and am already apprehensive on the flight characteristics.

FWIW my brother had the 49" 260 from ebay and it flew pretty good but I would recommend reinforcing the stabs with carbon fiber rods. His fluttered REAL bad at high speed but low speed flew OK. He had just put the carbon rods on it and was getting used to it when he got too confident and tried a short take off to fly at the house but misjudged it and hung it in the fence totaling it...He already has another on the way.
SportFlyer2 is offline Find More Posts by SportFlyer2
Last edited by SportFlyer2; Mar 20, 2010 at 01:41 PM.
Old May 04, 2010, 06:47 PM
United States, FL, Port Charlotte
Joined Jan 2008
913 Posts
Any updates on this plane? I just won one for $41 on the bay and plan on trying a nice lightweight setup on it using stuff I have (Axi 2212-20, APC 11x4.7 SF, HS55's in wings and 81's in tail). I figure for the price, it will make a hell of a beater plane .
kwiktsi is online now Find More Posts by kwiktsi
Old May 05, 2010, 09:47 AM
United States, TX, Palacios
Joined Feb 2009
1,602 Posts
Had mine put together but not finished. Let my brother [B]try[B] to finish it and he crumpled the motorbox and then glued the pieces back together. I should have reinforced it but didn't and took it out to fly it and on full throttle the motorbox disintergrated before takeoff...

Didn't feel like repairing it right now and got a NIB 42" AJ Slick from a friend and got it ready to put radio gear into it in two hours...hope to finish it and get it setup tonight...

Sad to about the Katana...I was really hoping to see how it flew...
SportFlyer2 is offline Find More Posts by SportFlyer2
Last edited by SportFlyer2; May 05, 2010 at 05:43 PM.
Old May 09, 2010, 02:19 PM
Joined Jan 2008
913 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportFlyer2 View Post
Had mine put together but not finished. Let my brother [B]try[B] to finish it and he crumpled the motorbox and then glued the pieces back together. I should have reinforced it but didn't and took it out to fly it and on full throttle the motorbox disintergrated before takeoff...

Didn't feel like repairing it right now and got a NIB 42" AJ Slick from a friend and got it ready to put radio gear into it in two hours...hope to finish it and get it setup tonight...

Sad to about the Katana...I was really hoping to see how it flew...
I got the plane the other day. Not *too* bad, but nowhere near the plane that my 3DHS 40" edge is! For what I paid, I can't complain though . Right off the bat, I had to add a piece of CF behind the top of the firewall to reinforce it- it flexed horribly and would let the whole motor box move around a bunch. I also ordered a CF wing spar, CF landing gear, wheels and axles for the 3DHS Edge 40" for it to replace the heavy aluminum stuff with. Should cut the weight down about an ounce. The ebay ad said 25oz AUW, but the airframe alone was 19.4 unassembled, so it's going to be tough to hit that claimed target weight.

Overall, not a bad plane, but I would hands down take the 40" Edge over this plane at retail price. I think my old Fliton Mini Extra 330 was nicer overall as well.

I'll report more on it after the maiden.
Old May 09, 2010, 05:48 PM
Passion
Joined Sep 2009
322 Posts
Since it is posted in the "Scale Electric Planes" forum, here is a link to the real T30 Katana. Look under "Projects".

http://www.pietroterzi.com/hm/
Swen is offline Find More Posts by Swen
Old May 16, 2010, 10:23 AM
Joined Jan 2008
913 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swen View Post
Since it is posted in the "Scale Electric Planes" forum, here is a link to the real T30 Katana. Look under "Projects".

http://www.pietroterzi.com/hm/
Heh, I didn't start the thread, it just came up under a search for this particular plane, so I added to it.