Discussion
I'm growing me some more stem cells!

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/09/04...ref=rss_health
Quote:
Study: Human fat yields multipurpose stem cellsStory Highlights
Human fat from liposuctions can be converted to induced pluripotent stem cells

By Elizabeth Landau
CNN

(CNN) -- You know that fat in your body you wish you didn't have? It turns out those cells could be used to create stem cells that one day may be able to cure disease.

Excess fat may one day be able to help cure disease and regenerate damaged tissue, scientists say.

Scientists at Stanford University School of Medicine have discovered that the millions of fat cells removed during liposuction can be easily and quickly turned into induced pluripotent stem cells, or iPS cells, more easily than the skin cells that researchers used when the first iPS cells were created in 2007.

These iPS cells, like stem cells derived from embryos, can be turned into many different kinds of cells, and researchers believe they eventually could be used to regenerate tissue for organs and repair damage.
It appears to me that the need for embryonic stem cell research is less neccessary every day, as one's own stem cells, an obvious first choice in therapy, are proving to be a viable alternative.
madsci_guy is offline Find More Posts by madsci_guy
Old Sep 08, 2009, 09:21 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,308 Posts
You mean they can stop killing all those little babies just to harvest their stem cells?

Oh, hang on, they weren't actually doing that anyway.
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Sep 08, 2009, 09:30 AM
Figure Nine Champ
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leccyflyer
You mean they can stop killing all those little babies just to harvest their stem cells?

Oh, hang on, they weren't actually doing that anyway.
Not in the US, a civilized country in this respect. Europe as you should know, does allow the barbaric practice. http://www.newscientist.com/article/...-research.html
Quote:
The European Parliament has backed the public funding of research on stem cells extracted from human embryos. The proposal would also allow medical research on human cells cloned using the same technique by which Dolly the cloned sheep was created.
Old Sep 08, 2009, 09:37 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,308 Posts
..but, as I said, they were not killed for that purpose, as implied is so many of these discussions. Instead the stem cells are a by-product of embryos that have been terminated, or in the case of IVF treatments, not used, for other reasons. If the stem cells were not taken the embyos would still be destroyed. At lease some use is made of the valuable tissue that may have benefits for others.

Anyway, the capaility to grow stem cells from human fat cells extracted in liposuction is a welcome development and I hope that they prove most useful in future research where stem cells have proved beneficial.
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Sep 08, 2009, 09:42 AM
Figure Nine Champ
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leccyflyer
..Anyway, the capaility to grow stem cells from human fat cells extracted in liposuction is a welcome development and I hope that they prove most useful in future research where stem cells have proved beneficial.
On that we agree.
Old Sep 08, 2009, 02:31 PM
Joined Aug 2005
2,657 Posts
I'm saving up for an oil change!

"So count on Green Earth Technologies to drum up as much publicity as possible in the wake of today's announcement that its biodegradable, fat-based motor oil, G-Oil SAE 5W-30, is the first bio-based motor oil to win the American Petroleum Institute's certification. In short, the product meets API's performance specifications for gasoline-engine oils.

G-Oil is manufactured from fat from American-bred livestock, the company says.

It has a molecular structure that is similar to traditional, petroleum-based products (Hey, some regular oil also comes from animals -- well, big lizards. They've just been dead a long, long time.)

The company boasts that "it takes three barrels of crude oil to make one barrel of motor oil, but it only takes one barrel of animal fat to produce one barrel of G-Oil." "

http://blogs.edmunds.com/greencaradv...vice-mark.html
DT56 is offline Find More Posts by DT56