HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 07, 2009, 07:00 PM
South Jersey
Joined Sep 2009
7 Posts
Help!
A good entry level electric off-roader.

Hi, I'm new to hobby level RCs and I'd like to know what a good first truck/buggy would be. I have my eye on a new Traxxas Slash, but I want to know if it is good. My budget tops out at $270. Also, I want it to be 1/10 size.
JKardisF is offline Find More Posts by JKardisF
Last edited by JKardisF; Sep 07, 2009 at 07:23 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2009, 07:03 PM
Joined Nov 2008
196 Posts
The slash would be a great choice for a first model.

I would recomend getting 2 batteries though, so while one charges, the other one is in the truck.

I like almost all the Traxxas modles because they have very nice after-market sopport.
Airplanedude is offline Find More Posts by Airplanedude
Old Sep 07, 2009, 07:07 PM
South Jersey
Joined Sep 2009
7 Posts
Yeah, I was looking into getting a second battery anyway, and I've heard that the Slash is super durable. I was on this one website that had brushless kits, but they are expensive. I may get a brushless if I get into the hobby. This is what I hope to get: http://www.rcplanet.com/Traxxas_Slas...ra5805com2.htm. Now for the saving part...
Last edited by JKardisF; Sep 07, 2009 at 07:33 PM.
Old Sep 07, 2009, 09:15 PM
Joined Nov 2008
196 Posts
That looks like a decent deal!

If you are interested in going brushless off the start, I would get something like a brushless Rustler for 250 some-odd dollars.

Both trucks would be great choices though.
Airplanedude is offline Find More Posts by Airplanedude
Old Sep 07, 2009, 10:06 PM
Joined Feb 2005
246 Posts
If you are considering brushless I'll second the Rustler VXL recommendation. It's getting into the top of your budget, but it's better long term than buring brushed now and then upgrading. The Slash is cool, but for general bashing around I feel like the Rustler would be more fun.
Silver Streak is offline Find More Posts by Silver Streak
Old Sep 08, 2009, 07:50 AM
South Jersey
Joined Sep 2009
7 Posts
Wait, should I get the Rustler VXL Brushless or the Stampede VXL Brushless?
Old Sep 08, 2009, 09:04 AM
Joined Aug 2009
5 Posts
Check out towers 3 easy pay option they have... I use it all the time. Tower has all the ones your looking at the Slash, Rustler VXL, Stampede VXL and lots more RTR. Looks like you get more with the Tower combos than the one you where looking at rcplanet.
RC8T-Racer is offline Find More Posts by RC8T-Racer
Old Sep 08, 2009, 09:26 AM
Joined Feb 2005
246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKardisF
Wait, should I get the Rustler VXL Brushless or the Stampede VXL Brushless?
For bashing around I would get the Rustler. My wife has a Nitro Stampede and all it does is wheelies, which gets old after about 15 minutes, and it doesn't turn very well. The electric one is even worse, but at least you might be able to move the battery forward to help it out some.
Silver Streak is offline Find More Posts by Silver Streak
Old Sep 08, 2009, 11:18 AM
Memphis
Joined Jun 2009
126 Posts
I think the stampede is better than the rustler IMO. The pede is better for bashing. As far as the wheely issue if you dont want them you can loosen your slipper clutch.
rustytraxx is offline Find More Posts by rustytraxx
Old Sep 08, 2009, 11:34 AM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
USA, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jul 2008
3,367 Posts
Get any of the 3, go with what looks good to you.

The VXL is going to push your $$$ limit especially if you don't have batteries and a charger.

Depending on what batteries and tires you do use wheelie might not be an issue or like my Rusty VXL on 3S lipo can be a big issue with no wheelie bar.
1320fastback is offline Find More Posts by 1320fastback
Old Sep 08, 2009, 01:37 PM
What tree?
Yucca Valley, California
Joined Aug 2005
2,769 Posts
I, personally, would stick with the Slash. It's just such a neat truck. It's plenty fast for a beginner with the brushed 12-turn, and the motor lasts long enough for you to save up for a VXL system. The Slash is tough as nails, especially with the wheels (and arms) protected behind the body..I've owned mine for a year, and it's been VXL-powered for 9 months, and I've only ever broken one piece--a rear hub carrier, which broke in a very odd way..Lol.

Brushless is nice, but for a beginner just breaking into the hobby, a stock Slash would be tons of fun. A Rustler VXL is a nice truck, but--no offense intended--may be more then some beginners can handle. The faster you go, the more stuff you break.

If I were you, I'd get your feet wet with a Slash! I've been in the hobby all my life and, beyond a doubt, the Slash is the most fun I've ever owned in the "grounded" part of the hobby.

Another thing with the Slash, if you keep it stock, you can find a track and go race it in the Spec class. A whole new kind of fun.
Rampage is online now Find More Posts by Rampage
Old Sep 08, 2009, 01:55 PM
Jim
North Alabama
Joined Mar 2004
1,866 Posts
Be sure to factor in the terrain you will be on for most of your running. While the Rustler is a great truck, my Pede's see more runtime because I run in my yard alot. Rusty gets hot quicker if the grass isn't REALLY short!

I have 2 Stampedes, Slash, Rustler(sold it), HPI Firestorm, Axial Crawler, E-Maxx, Losi 1/10 Desert Truck, 3 Associated RC18's, and a Duratrax Evader.

The Stampede's and the Firestorm get taken off the shelf more than all the others combined....FWIW....YMMV

Jim
Jim_W is offline Find More Posts by Jim_W
Old Sep 08, 2009, 01:58 PM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
USA, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jul 2008
3,367 Posts
No offense taken, my Rusty VXL is my first and only RC ground vehicle. I got it knowing that something powered by a 3S 4000Mah battery and advertised to go 70MPH is not for a beginner but with the training mode on the vehicle and the throttle adjust on the TX it is completely doable. I took about a week to get comfortable with the way it was and then went 70/30 on the throttle for another week. After that I set the ESC to full power and went back to 50/50 on the TX and finally am at Ludicrous speed.

Have I broken stuff....Absolutely but so far no of it has been because of the speed, more just me not checking all the bolts before heading out.

I do agree with you on the Slash though, every time I see one I want one
1320fastback is offline Find More Posts by 1320fastback
Old Sep 08, 2009, 06:08 PM
South Jersey
Joined Sep 2009
7 Posts
I think I"ll go for the Slash because of all of the accounts of wether the Stampede or Rustler is better; but do you think I could wait 2-2 1/2 months to buy the brushless kit for the slash? Or should I keep it Spec? Last question, If I were to enter the spec race, the only aluminum part you can have is the thing that keeps the oil in the shocks, right?

And yes, I did a lot of research 'bout the Slash.
Quote:
RC8T Racer Wrote:
Check out towers 3 easy pay option they have... I use it all the time. Tower has all the ones your looking at the Slash, Rustler VXL, Stampede VXL and lots more RTR. Looks like you get more with the Tower combos than the one you where looking at rcplanet.
I like to pay for something all at once If I can make it happen, and do they ship for free? If not, I'll stick with RC Planet.
Last edited by JKardisF; Sep 08, 2009 at 06:24 PM.
Old Sep 08, 2009, 07:01 PM
Joined Aug 2009
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKardisF
I like to pay for something all at once If I can make it happen, and do they ship for free? If not, I'll stick with RC Planet.

No frre shipping at the moment but they have a special $25.00 off $200.00 so total for the combo $260.00 or $89.00 month for 3 months you can check out the SLASH COMBO
RC8T-Racer is offline Find More Posts by RC8T-Racer