R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,255 Posts
Discussion
Day 1 Of Modding - Mcx S300- Project Mini Kick Yo Co-axial

DAY 1 OF MODDING - MCX S300- PROJECT MINI KICK YO CO-AXIAL

Okay, now that everyone has laughed at the title of this thread we can begin :P

I decided over a month ago that I wanted to give my S300 a little more kick in the forward flight department. After researching possible mods, my research lead me to http://cuskerrc.webs.com. This company offers a relatively simple solution to the lack of speed in the mini MCX series coaxial. Basically, the mod is manufactured out of aluminium and does not weight much. I will list weights later in this thread. This mod will give the swash more throw, thus giving the rotors more pitch allowing for faster forward flight. At least this is my under standing of the modification technique. They offer a 16mm, and a 19mm which is special order, upon request. I ordered the 19mm to try out, as I figured it would provide the fastest forward flight. With the MCX S300, a little fuselage trim is required to accommodate the 19 mm mod. Pics are shown below!

From what I have read on this mod, a shorter Flybar is also necessary if the heli is to not have blades strikes, and or, add more precision flying. I have purchased a shorter paddle Flybar kit from http://www.flyrcrivesud.com . The kit comes with 2 paddlle ends, weights ect. I have not assembled this yet, as I am trying the Cusker mod with the stock flybar for now. I wish to see what the heli handles like without the paddle shorter Flybar first, then I will add it later. There is a pic below of the kit. I also purchased some Tenergy 130 batteries from this company as well.

The first thing I did was to weight some items. The weights are as follows.

From www.flyrcrivesud.com (weight in Grams/Ounces)
- (<1) Refers to less than 1 gram, but will be added as .75 grams in this case.

1. Kit Contents ( 2 paddles, screws, weights) .75 grams
2. Tenergy 130 Mah battery (individually) 4 Ounces

From http://cuskerrc.webs.com (weight in Grams/Ounces)
- “Cusker 19 mm kit”
- (<1) Refers to less than 1 gram, but will be added as .75 grams in this case.

1. Kit Contents (collar assembly, anti-rotation arm assembly, swash anti-rotation arm .75 grams

Stock Parts. (Weight in Grams/Ounces)
(<1) Refers to less than 1 gram, but will be added as .5 grams in this case.

1. Stock Swash Assembly without linkage .5 grams
2. Stock Flybar 1 gram

As listed above, the findings show that the Cusker 19mm mod is not that much extra weight in comparison to the stock swash. Also, the shorter Flybar will probably weight, I would guess the same as stock, if not a little extra. Those findings I will post when I complete that mod.

I finished and installed the Cusker Mod without problems, save for the fact the S300 is hard to work on, due to tiny parts, but if one takes their time it is quite easily accomplished. My first flights proved successful, I did have to adjust trims, as my swash is not quite level, but I will level that out later. The heli waves up in down in forward flight currently with an unlevel swash and stick Flybar. Mind out it was not out of control, and is manageable. I am not quite sure what is causing this, besides the possibility of not having the shorter Flybar installed yet. I will try and eliminate any possible adjustements that are causing this before installing the short Flybar. Please see pics/descriptions below. I will try and post vids soon, and also later the short paddle Flybar mod as well. Thanks for viewing
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Last edited by Razors edge 29; Sep 06, 2009 at 01:03 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2009, 09:49 AM
Toronto Canada
Joined Dec 2002
5,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29
They offer a 16mm, and a 19mm which is special order, upon request. I ordered the 19mm to try out, as I figured it would provide the fastest forward flight.
I assume that the 19mm length refers to the length of the arm protruding from the swash that connects to the servo.

Or does it mean the length of the arms that connect to the blades?

If it is the length of the arms which connect to the servos, wouldn't the longer 19mm arm give less throw and slower forward flight?
Martyn McKinney is offline Find More Posts by Martyn McKinney
Last edited by Martyn McKinney; Sep 06, 2009 at 09:59 AM.
Old Sep 06, 2009, 11:16 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,255 Posts
the arm coming off the aluminum ring on top of the swash
Old Sep 06, 2009, 11:25 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,255 Posts
Be VERY CAREFUL when taking the servo arms off of the swash plate. The balls on the swash arms are very weak and break easily. I already broke one and I was using needle nose pliers and being careful, but not enough I guess. I sense a mod coming on to fix this issue.
Old Sep 07, 2009, 10:10 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,255 Posts
Here isa video that shows how fast, and yet, uncontrollable this mod is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPPj6gw-SiU
Old Sep 07, 2009, 10:28 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,255 Posts
Here are some pics of what I have done as far as detailing the lower white blades and the fuselage, plus adding the short paddle flybar. I have also added the pen spring mod, which is basically a pen spring cut short, and its placed between the lower rotor head, and swash plate on the outside shaft
Old Sep 07, 2009, 10:32 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,255 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCa0ApEfWNo

vid of my S300
Old Sep 07, 2009, 11:57 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,255 Posts
Update. The paddle flybar has not worked out soo good. The one paddle keeps flying off for some reason (might try CA), and I can't seem to find the right pitch the paddles should be on. The flybar seems to throw the heli off balance quite bad in hover and in FFF. It does scoot a long well but not stable at all. I am currently working on that issue. oo for now I am flying it with a stick flybar, the cusker mod, and the pen spring mod. It hovers much better now (still need to trim out TX) but its very managable now, where as before it was not. I might try to make my own short, (non paddle flybar) from space parts. I was flying this thing outside tonight (calm conditions) and its a hoot, still get blade strikes in FFF when you try to turn fast, or when doing banked yaw turns, but all in all, my little guy is back - I missed it big time, this heli is soo much fun!
Old Sep 09, 2009, 11:29 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,255 Posts
Update Sept 9 2009, I re-added the flyrcrivesud paddle flybar and added CA inside the brass weights to help the paddles stay on. I corrected the pitch of the paddles thanks to Sonny, Stumblebee and Crushalot. They are flat or horizontal to the ground now. There is a little TBE at times, but I am experimenting with the tightness of the upper head screw that holds the flybar into position in upper head. I can't wait to get my new MCX Mods from http://www.xtremecx2.com/servlet/the...mCX/Categories

Blade grips/blade sets plys alum swash with shorter arms. I hope this works well, having the alum swash will be nice, cause anyone who has an mcx knows how fragile the swash arms are, I have a pile of CA on mine to provie it; it works, but looks messy and break loose all the even it lightest of crashes. New mods should be good, off will come the cusker mod (which served its purpose) and one goes the new swash. I hope it has good speed and agility like Xtreme claims it does. And not too much extra weight. Till then
Old Sep 10, 2009, 07:39 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,255 Posts
Xtreme weights are in grams

Blades 1 each
swash 2.3
pair of grips .06

So it looks like it will weigh a little more than stock
Old Sep 10, 2009, 09:17 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,717 Posts
I don't know how you would get it done after that many postings, but this is a coax you're building and this should be in the multi-rotor forum if it's going to get to the right audience.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Sep 10, 2009, 10:11 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,255 Posts
I thought it was....I will transfer over later. Is this not the microhelis section? The mcx is a microheli. Ps. I am not done I just got told the weights from the manufacteur.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 12:09 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,717 Posts
The micro heli section is for FP and CP heli's. The multi rotor heli's have their own forum.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Sep 10, 2009, 12:18 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,255 Posts
K okay is there a way to transfer this thread ?