SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 05, 2009, 09:50 PM
Glenwood Iowa
Joined Sep 2008
170 Posts
Discussion
Air field under construction

I would like to introduce myself. My name is Larry and I live in Glenwood Iowa. I only have a slow stick and a park zone J3 cub so far and I am also setting up a air field which is non club orientated so all can fly there at the straightaway on the road course just on the east side of the drag strip.
You can see the facility at midamericamotorplex.com
Not having a lot of flight time or experience I would like to get some ideas that you the experienced Pilots have on what should be at a world class flight facility.
I know this sounds like a plea for money but it is not I need to get a lot of different views and suggestions so I can make this a reality by next spring.
I would like to thank you in advance for any info.
Gofer 303 is offline Find More Posts by Gofer 303
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2009, 05:55 AM
Warbirds Lover
South of France
Joined Jan 2008
1,560 Posts
Well... the first thing, i think, is to build a runway that have the same direction as the prevailing winds.

If you want to host big R/C models you will need a long runway (the bigger will be the models, the longer will be the runway).

Keep some huge green grass area around the runway, if some pilots wants to belly land some foamies on the grass

Might be you will need a clearance from the F.A.A. ? (in France we don't have right to fly anywhere we want - we are allowed to fly our models only on a federal approved R/C airfield and, since late 2008, we also need a french air force clearance when our r/c airfields are located in military air bases ranges (i.e. 80% of our territory) and it's not allowed to climb above 150 ft - i.e. no r/c gliders or big models anymore on most of our r/cairfields.... sad but true.... funny in the historical country of the human rights isn't it ?
Dreamcatcher is offline Find More Posts by Dreamcatcher
Old Sep 06, 2009, 09:25 AM
Joined Aug 2007
709 Posts
You may want to take a look at the following links (if, you haven't done so already).

AMA Recommended RC Flying Site Specifications

http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/706.pdf

AMA Documents

http://www.modelaircraft.org/documents.aspx

I fully agree with Dreamcatcher's "huge green grass area" recommendation due to the fact that several of the fields I've flown at had very limited space for "belly" and or "never going to make it to the strip" dead stick landings.

Good luck on your project.
FMB42 is offline Find More Posts by FMB42
Old Sep 07, 2009, 08:32 PM
Glenwood Iowa
Joined Sep 2008
170 Posts
I think there will be no problem with anything to do with space on asphalt or grass! The straightaway I am using r=for the run way is 3/4 of a mile long and 2 1/2 car widths. I am wanting to get a set up that will be world class!
go to the web site www.midamericamotorplex.com and see some arial photos of the facility!
Gofer 303 is offline Find More Posts by Gofer 303