Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 05, 2009, 08:29 PM
United States, NY, Endicott
Joined Jun 2006
162 Posts
Discussion
Any tips for my first flight with a low wing plane?

Well, after getting a number of flights under my belt with my Easy Sport 40, I think that I'm ready to move on to a low wing plane. I have a Hangar 9 Pulse XT 40 in my basement that's ready to go, so I want to get it out there and give it a try. Hangar 9 says that this is a very easy plane to fly and that it can be used as a next step after a trainer. Still, it's a low wing plane and there must be some significant differences in how it will handle as compared to a high wing trainer or mid-wing model. Do any of you have any suggestions as to things the I should be aware of when starting to fly a low wing plane? Any help will be greatly appreciated...!!!

Bob
Warthog_Fan is offline Find More Posts by Warthog_Fan
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2009, 09:20 PM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
there's not really that much difference just due to high wing vs low wing. Other aspects of the design have more effect.

You can make a low wing just as stable as a high wing by adjusting the dihedral.
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771
Old Sep 05, 2009, 10:13 PM
What goes up, will come down
ATL, GA
Joined Jul 2009
251 Posts
What FHH said, Just remember most trainers have a tendancy to correct themselves due to the dihedral, if your low wing doesnt have much then if you put it in a turn, it will stay in that turn until you tell it to do something else...same with the other controls. Depends how your low wing is made. I've gone from a trainer (Superstar) to two sticks, and I love them. I think I definately skipped a few steps but it wasnt that bad once I toned the throws down lol...now all I do is fly with high rates
Mulciber126 is offline Find More Posts by Mulciber126
Old Sep 05, 2009, 10:35 PM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
From the Superstar 40 to a GP .40 size stick (like pictured in your avitar) is not a big jump. For some beginners who have instruction by buddy box the classic Stick is a fine choice as thier first airplane.

The Ultra Sticks on the other hand... need some "taming" to be useful for almost anyone as a first trainer due to thier huge control surfaces.
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771
Old Sep 06, 2009, 07:53 AM
United Kingdom, Wales
Joined Jul 2009
310 Posts
low wing first flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhhuber506771
From the Superstar 40 to a GP .40 size stick (like pictured in your avitar) is not a big jump. For some beginners who have instruction by buddy box the classic Stick is a fine choice as thier first airplane.

The Ultra Sticks on the other hand... need some "taming" to be useful for almost anyone as a first trainer due to thier huge control surfaces.
Hi, first flights with any plane,reduce throws (rate switch) and fly 3mistakes high until you get the feel of the model.Cheers Fly Boy3
Fly Boy3 is offline Find More Posts by Fly Boy3