HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 04, 2009, 02:30 PM
San Diego
Joined Nov 2002
606 Posts
Build Log
Wild Hawk / Supper Lightning Eagle Tree FPV Build.

DAY1:

Received Mr PiB's pre built pan/tilt fpv pod. These things are amazingly well crafted. Should be renamed to RTFPV

Went to Hobby People and picked up a new fuselage since my original one shriveled up and warped in the back of my 200degree car. Cut some holes and BAM, an FPV Wild Hawk is born... Its going to be nose heavy so I need to do somthing about getting more weight in the rear. The bodies of the Wild Hawks are narrow and you cant open them up like you can an Easy Star.
SoMoney is offline Find More Posts by SoMoney
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2009, 08:55 PM
San Diego
Joined Nov 2002
606 Posts
DAY2:
Removed the sticky tape, pressed it together, and used Threaded Scotch "Extreme Tape" on the bottom to help reinforce the belly while also giving me a way to secure the battery hatch.

Wild Hawk CG - SIDE VIEW:

Here is the CG with Flight Battery Installed but FPV battery not.+/- 2-3mm (size of water bottle cap) I actually find this CG quite acceptable. I was expecting a nose heavy bird. I think adding the FPV battery will pring it up another 1-2mm.

Wild Hawk TOP VIEW:

The paint scheme was to make it hard to see from the ground or the sky but for the purpose of testing I painted some Yellow Targets on the wings to keep visibility high at the moment.

Wild Hawk FRONT VIEW:

To test I threw the plane across my lawn a couple times... The plane tracks well but needs a good clip of speed to glide! Going to take her out for a quick non FPV test flight with all gear aboard to get a feel for her...

Back in an hour......
Last edited by SoMoney; Sep 04, 2009 at 09:12 PM.
Old Sep 04, 2009, 11:09 PM
San Diego
Joined Nov 2002
606 Posts
She Flys! A bit underpowered with the AXI 2212/26 I had on her. When I turned into the wind I needed quite a bit of down elevator to keep her from nosing up into the sky.. what I expected on this tail heavy bird (2500MAH 11.1v Lipo.)

I have a Cheap 2600kv brushless motor outrunner I'll slap on her for now since she obviously needs more speed with the added weight to be happy. Its going to get hot and only give me 15-30m run times ubtill I can get a motor in the 1700-200kv range.

PS. While I was tossing her on my greenbelt out back, DOINK! A gust of wind flipped her and she fell nose in and up side down from 4-5ft. The servos that come with the Pod are Turngy TG9's. The Tilt Servo stripped its gears so I replaced it with an HS55.

Maybe I should put a servo saver on the tilt cam while Im still getting everything tuned....

All Up Weight = 852grams
Last edited by SoMoney; Sep 05, 2009 at 02:15 AM.
Old Sep 06, 2009, 01:03 AM
San Diego
Joined Nov 2002
606 Posts
Eagle Tree OSD UP and Running.

Sun Set Over Temecula in an RC Plane (3 min 47 sec)

I stripped another tilt servo gear on the landing... again....
I'll look into a compatible Servo Saver that will fit on this pod.
Next Flight Goggles ON.
Last edited by SoMoney; Sep 24, 2009 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Replaced Video with a better encode.
Old Sep 07, 2009, 12:14 AM
San Diego
Joined Nov 2002
606 Posts
Goggles On, Very Nice....

Here is My portable 900Mhz Receiving station. Everything fits in My Lopro Camera bag with room to spare.

Here is My portable 900Mhz Receiving station. Everything fits in My Lopro Camera bag with room to spare.

Cheap camera phone shot of my base station...

Ill have better ones up in a couple days..
Going Tuna Fishing
Old Sep 07, 2009, 01:40 PM
Gravity Tester
Central Michigan
Joined May 2003
1,133 Posts
I'm very satisfied with my FPV Wild Hawk. It makes a great platform. I haven't put my pan/tilt module on yet but I will after I get a bit more experience with what I have.. Have fun!
KnimRod is offline Find More Posts by KnimRod
Old Sep 08, 2009, 11:51 PM
San Diego
Joined Nov 2002
606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnimRod
I'm very satisfied with my FPV Wild Hawk. It makes a great platform. I haven't put my pan/tilt module on yet but I will after I get a bit more experience with what I have.. Have fun!
Yep, I had a chance to put in some FPV flight time yesterday for my Wild Hawk and she is doing much better with the 2600kv motor on her. I bit lighter so evens her out in flight greatly. However the 2600kv motor but Draws way to many amps (30Amp spikes) so I have a 2200kv on order.

I like your base station very much! Whats the AUW (All Up Weight) of your Wild Hawk and do you have a build thread for your plane and/or receiving station?
Old Sep 09, 2009, 09:54 AM
Gravity Tester
Central Michigan
Joined May 2003
1,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoMoney
Yep, I had a chance to put in some FPV flight time yesterday for my Wild Hawk and she is doing much better with the 2600kv motor on her. I bit lighter so evens her out in flight greatly. However the 2600kv motor but Draws way to many amps (30Amp spikes) so I have a 2200kv on order.

I like your base station very much! Whats the AUW (All Up Weight) of your Wild Hawk and do you have a build thread for your plane and/or receiving station?
AUW of my Wild Hawk is about 30 oz. No build thread on the plane but I did provide some pictures to Mr.Pibb about adapting the Easy Pod to the Wild Hawk. My ground station is mostly made from stuff I had around the house; Scrap aluminum and an old camera tripod.. The monitor is a 10" HDTV set bought on sale at a local department store and the whole thing is powered by a 12V power pack from Harbor Freight. I've tried a couple of different DVRs now and am not happy with either. Still looking for the right one. Let me know if you would like any additional pictures or info...
Old Sep 10, 2009, 05:04 PM
San Diego
Joined Nov 2002
606 Posts
Wild Hawk CRASH!

Sorry no video recording of kids stealing my lost Wild Hawk this time .

I was up about 300 feet over empty housing lots making a righ bank turn and suddenly my Wild Hawk started to violently nose dive and twist! I cut all power took my glasses off and looked up and out 1/4mile away to see something which I guessed to be my vertical stabilizer had sheered off and was floating next to my Wild Hawk as it was doing a flat spin at its cg point (Glad I ironed that out last week). The wild Hawk proceeded to spin like a top at its CG point and there is absolutely nothing you can do to land an rc plane that has lost its vertical fin!

I kept my eyes wide so that I could get an approximate idea of where it was going to crash. Jumped in my car and drove out as close as I could and then started the search. Luckily the video camera ws still transmitting! When I got in the vicinity I turned my FPV on and saw grass and twigs! Unfortunately the whole lot is nothing but grass and twigs

Holding the receiver antenna to my chest I was able to turn my body to find the best signal. If I lost signal my body was blocking it. Not very directional but this at lease gave me a 180degree directional swath to walk in. I also used the tip of the antenna as a pointer, when the signal cut out I knew I must be pointing to it. That trick gave my about a 90degree wedge to walk in. within minutes I was right on top of her.

Yep, The vertical stabilizer was missing and the wild hawk was sitting in some dried out reeds on her belly like some one set her there. I picked up the Wild Hawk, and feeling the wind on my face I turned around and started walking with the wind. about 100-200feet later I found the vertical fin.

Kind of disappointing and fun at the same time searching for it. Without FPV I'd probably still be out there !

Nothing appears damaged at all... Easily repairable by gluing the vertical stabilizer back on.
Last edited by SoMoney; Sep 10, 2009 at 06:14 PM.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 05:12 PM
Gravity Tester
Central Michigan
Joined May 2003
1,133 Posts
The idea of using double-sided tape to hold the tail together wasn't the best I think. I got rid of the tape and used epoxy to hold the tail on the fuselage. I also added a couple of small carbon fiber rods as bracing from the horiz. stab to the vertical stab and that greatly improved the "wagging" I was getting after a turn..
Old Jul 03, 2010, 09:15 AM
United States, WI, Holmen
Joined Aug 2003
130 Posts
CG on Wild Hawk/Super Lightning

I recently purchased the Super Lightning "non-electric" kit from Hobby People and it did not include build instructions... From your experience how far back from the wing LE is the ideal CG point?

Thanks for the help,

Bernie
BGauweiler is offline Find More Posts by BGauweiler
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 03, 2010, 09:51 AM
AoM Furballer
USA, MS, Enid
Joined Jan 2010
324 Posts
Did you just have it taped on ?
Flench is offline Find More Posts by Flench
Last edited by Flench; Jul 03, 2010 at 01:56 PM.