HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 04, 2009, 09:27 AM
Watt me worry?
Florida
Joined Mar 2006
3,867 Posts
Discussion
JD Enterprises F-8 Crusader /Stumax fan E-conversion

I meant for this thread to be a BUILD thread but it came out as a discussion thread.

This thread will be concerned with the JD Enterprises F-8 Crusader.
http://www.jdenterprise.net/F8J/F8J.htm

The JDE F-8 was built for the gas DF but this model was built by JDE for E-power and setup for the Stumax 110 fan , 1915-1Y Neu motor, CC 110HV controller and XPS 12s lipos. This is the link to the Stumax fan:
http://www.stumaxaircraft.com/pages/SM110.htm?t=739147

I haven't made up my mind on which servos I will use but I do know they will be JRs(suggestions welcome). The LG also is up in the air but I am leaning to using the Lardo electric Actuators if I can make them work with JDE struts...if not I will use Robart struts.
http://www.lado-tech.net/proddetail.php?prod=R630T-RF

This plane will be built in a "concept" paint......in other words there was never a full sized F-8 which was painted like my F-8 will be done....sort of a "Black Ops" gunfighter look. Here is a drawing of pretty much what the plane will look like except for some red marking under the wing so my old eyes can see the plane in flight. I will be using vinyl marking which will be custom cut for my plane by Bad Brad Graphics: http://badbradgraphics.com/
Madmax1965 is offline Find More Posts by Madmax1965
Last edited by Madmax1965; Sep 04, 2009 at 09:49 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2009, 09:56 AM
KingtechUSA
Tampa FL
Joined Apr 2009
2,835 Posts
Sweet max! you finally got her! I am looking forward to your build and that paint scheme looks killer bro
gunradd is offline Find More Posts by gunradd
Old Sep 04, 2009, 10:11 AM
Watt me worry?
Florida
Joined Mar 2006
3,867 Posts
Finally got here and just had a little hanger rash on the wings.....JDE packed the plane very well. I haven't weighted the plane dry yet but will do so soon. I was surprised the kit didn't come with a parts package but that is fine as I usually can those included parts and use my own. Looks like an easy build. I will need to convert the canopy from screws to the BVM latches so I can change out lipos easier.

I can't see anyway I can install intake ducting. The intake is very small and the nose gear would also be in the way. SO.......I will probably cut out the louvers in the top of the fuselage/wing for more air to the Stumax. I should build up an intake lip for the fan( wish Stu had one available for sale).

I haven't made up my mind if I should do the plane in a dull Black,Gray, silver or a shiney Black, Gray, silver......leaning toward a dull paint.

The plane should be light enough for the Stumax on 12s to haul butt. I am looking forward to the first flight.
Old Sep 04, 2009, 10:20 AM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax1965
I can't see anyway I can install intake ducting. The intake is very small and the nose gear would also be in the way. SO.......I will probably cut out the louvers in the top of the fuselage/wing for more air to the Stumax. I should build up an intake lip for the fan( wish Stu had one available for sale). ......
JDE is an hrs deriving distance from me. Good to see someone doing one up E powered!

No ducting? How did the GDF breath? Cheater holes?
GregG is offline Find More Posts by GregG
Old Sep 04, 2009, 10:38 AM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Fontana, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
27,299 Posts
Nice Max, I'll be watching this one
rvincent is offline Find More Posts by rvincent
Old Sep 04, 2009, 10:43 AM
KingtechUSA
Tampa FL
Joined Apr 2009
2,835 Posts
Try and post some pics of the guts so people can try and get different ideas of the intake ducting issue. Looks like a big fuse. Man your flight times will go up a ton if you can find a way to squeez ducting in somehow.
gunradd is offline Find More Posts by gunradd
Old Sep 04, 2009, 11:03 AM
Molde, Norway
Joined Jan 2001
2,451 Posts
I agree that there looks to be more than enough intake size on that plane, judging by the pic posted. It would need to snake up a bit to make some room for the nose gear, or you can do as JHH does on the A-7, and make a hump in the duct where the gear sits. Even if it's only 80-90% FSA it would be much better than no ducting and lots of cheater holes.
Arngeir Blakseth is offline Find More Posts by Arngeir Blakseth
Old Sep 04, 2009, 11:49 AM
EDF Jet Jam May 2014
United States, KY, Crestview Hills
Joined Dec 2000
6,424 Posts
Could you post the weight of the components and some photos too.
JD has some interesting models.
Robert Belluomini is offline Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini
Old Sep 04, 2009, 11:57 AM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,212 Posts
Very cool project! I like the paint scheme too. Shame it didn't come with a parts kit. What are your plans for the canopy? Did they include molded clear panels?
techspy is offline Find More Posts by techspy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Esprit Saga
Old Sep 04, 2009, 12:22 PM
smug in granny panties
NorCal Silicon Valley
Joined Aug 2002
11,778 Posts
No greg there an hour from me! lol My buddy has one of these from way back, FSA is not a prob. The prob is actually like an F-16 in that the opening does determine FSA or path but the grea former(not even the wheel was in the way) is what dictates what can pass back. For Stumax you wont have a prob though, if it was 120 then you would be fighting for FSA from 4 inches in the inlet and back. Love that Paint!!! Nice project.

Barry
monkamarm2000 is offline Find More Posts by monkamarm2000
Old Sep 04, 2009, 01:53 PM
Jets fly goooood!
Italy, Lazio, Ariccia
Joined May 2004
569 Posts
Hi Madmax,

I just realize now that you started this already!
I will follow with interest since looks like this is a big model for the Stumax and also because my F-15 will have similar powerplant.
As others has stated before I think the FSA will not be a problem, the stumax works well at just 100% and it is a small fan after all.
I don't know if the full size F-8 had 90 rotating nose gear like the F-16, but this could be a solution to minimize the interference between the gear and the air duct if any!

Gianluca
felix72 is offline Find More Posts by felix72
Old Sep 04, 2009, 02:41 PM
smug in granny panties
NorCal Silicon Valley
Joined Aug 2002
11,778 Posts
Well from most planes like this the wheel is never the problem cause its well enough back, but usually the 3/4 inch or so tall gear block and a former in the same height range is right inside the intake opening. so its not just there size but there size so close to opening. The JHH A-7 was like this, the wheel itself was just not a prob, but the much lower yet far forward bulkhead was more in the way. But still not nearly as in the way as just about every F-16 I've seen or done. The gear itself was nowhere near a problem, but the former and front edge of retract is just mere inches inside lip in an area that cannot run uphill yet.
monkamarm2000 is offline Find More Posts by monkamarm2000
Old Sep 04, 2009, 03:06 PM
Molde, Norway
Joined Jan 2001
2,451 Posts
One can always use the BVM mechanical nose gear unit, that one is low profile and should make life easier getting it all to fit.
Arngeir Blakseth is offline Find More Posts by Arngeir Blakseth
Old Sep 04, 2009, 04:32 PM
Watt me worry?
Florida
Joined Mar 2006
3,867 Posts
Since I have not begun any building yet I can't answer the question on if the front ducting will work. The opening is about 60mm x 104mm (this is approximately the measurement) because the nose cone takes some of the space. The big problem would be the nose wheel taking up space and making the intake less than a straight shot. If you look at the parts layout in my photo above you will see the cover which goes over the wing and top of the fuselage. This piece has louvers (as the real F-8 had)and these can be cut out to allow air to the fan....you can call the louvers cheater holes if you want but the full sized plane had the louvers. I have PMed Stu(as in Stumax) asking his advice on the fan install.
There is no former in the way between the front intake and the fan and the nosewheel is attached to a block setup in the bottom of the fuselage. If I can somehow find a nosegear setup which will not block the intake I will of course install one.

I am not new to E-power planes but am new to EDFs. That said I have no experience with FSA. Do you guys believe that the area of 104mm x 60mm would be enought for the Stumax fan?

Blakseth:
One can always use the BVM mechanical nose gear unit

Thanks Blakseth on the advice concerning the BVM nose gear unit....I will check it out.