HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 04, 2009, 06:22 AM
*It Ain't Lookin Good*
Evansville IN
Joined Aug 2004
1,135 Posts
Discussion
*New H9 Taylorcraft 20cc*

I just recieved the new Taylorcraft from Horizon Hobbies. This plane is very well built and the fuse is massive. The plane is still a little smaller than I was expecting but it looks great. Except for a little damage to the fuse near the firewall everything looks and fits fine. I'll be using the new DLE 30cc gasser on the business end as soon as I can get my hands on one. The full size pilot that comes with the plane looks ok if your in to Barbbi dolls .
olezippi is offline Find More Posts by olezippi
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2009, 09:32 AM
Honey, I got more planes!
USA, AL, Athens
Joined Jun 2003
4,274 Posts
Looking forward to seeing it come together and fly!
ghee-grose is offline Find More Posts by ghee-grose
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2009, 06:48 PM
It's Prime Time for Slime Time
Joined May 2004
1,723 Posts
Wait'll you take his helmet off...
b7gwap is offline Find More Posts by b7gwap
Old Oct 07, 2009, 08:03 PM
*It Ain't Lookin Good*
Evansville IN
Joined Aug 2004
1,135 Posts
I got my DLE 30 gasser mounted with a XOAR 18X8 prop. I had the engine modified to a single bolt prop hub. I'm also running a B&B header.
Old Oct 07, 2009, 08:59 PM
Joined May 2004
1,723 Posts
looking good man! I also have this kit, just breaking in the FG 20 I got for it. It's a nice kit, isn't it? A little on the heavy side though I think.
Old Oct 08, 2009, 06:15 AM
*It Ain't Lookin Good*
Evansville IN
Joined Aug 2004
1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by b7gwap
looking good man! I also have this kit, just breaking in the FG 20 I got for it. It's a nice kit, isn't it? A little on the heavy side though I think.
b7gwap,

It is a little on the heavy side and that's why I went with a little bigger gasser. The throttle linkage looks like it might be a pain to hook up.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 03:28 AM
Joined May 2004
1,723 Posts
I agree. the throttle linkage was the only part of the kit which was not well thought out. But, it is hidden under the floor and the designers surely knew that users were going to be mounting all kinds of engines in all kinds of positions, so they just sort of leave it up to you. The other thing I didn't like is that the instrument panel is already glued in, which makes it a real pain to place the blind nuts and fuel tank retaining rubber bands. Other than that, it's a great kit. Looks fantastic.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 07:01 AM
*It Ain't Lookin Good*
Evansville IN
Joined Aug 2004
1,135 Posts
Quote:
I agree. the throttle linkage was the only part of the kit which was not well thought out. But, it is hidden under the floor and the designers surely knew that users were going to be mounting all kinds of engines in all kinds of positions, so they just sort of leave it up to you. The other thing I didn't like is that the instrument panel is already glued in, which makes it a real pain to place the blind nuts and fuel tank retaining rubber bands. Other than that, it's a great kit. Looks fantastic.
b7gwap,

The blind nuts were pretty easy. I tried using a small piece of double sided tape on my finger but it didn't work out to good. I then put a small drop of CA on my finger and glued the blind nut to my finger. Then it was just a matter of adding a little epoxy and running your finger through the hole in the firewall and pop them in the hole. I used the stand off and some washers to lock the blind nut down. I didn't rotate my carb and have worked out a pretty good setup. I'll post pics later.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 01:16 PM
Joined May 2004
1,723 Posts
yeah I'm pretty sure the reason mine was such a pain was the angle I mounted the engine at, about 50 degrees to the right and down.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 08:59 PM
Suspended Account
holmes county ohio
Joined Apr 2007
113 Posts
tcraft

stick built from hostetlers plans.....coming along.......
edmoor is offline Find More Posts by edmoor
Old Oct 12, 2009, 01:55 AM
Joined May 2004
1,723 Posts
Hey, that's a sweet bird! What's the span? Planned powerplant? Weight? Full length wing, I assume?
Old Oct 15, 2009, 10:38 AM
Suspended Account
holmes county ohio
Joined Apr 2007
113 Posts
tcraft

this a hostetler plans model.....112" ws....zg26 gas.....15 lbs......not clipped. i have only found one other person on the forums building this....we are kinda helping each other through the rough spots..... he is duplicating a full scale air taxi.....im going unconventional with my colors etc.
edmoor is offline Find More Posts by edmoor
Last edited by edmoor; Oct 15, 2009 at 12:45 PM.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 08:13 AM
In NY's beautifull hills
Binghamton Broome Cty, New York, United States
Joined Jun 2004
1,126 Posts
landing gear integrity

Just curious about the integrity of the newer H9 TC landing gear.
I have the older version elec powered & had to add a spreader re-inforcement as the exisitng alum plt wanted to splay out w/ even the softest of landings.
A few pics of mine w/ more info in my blog
staggerwing is offline Find More Posts by staggerwing
Old Oct 16, 2009, 12:17 PM
Joined May 2004
1,723 Posts
For what it's worth, the new landing gear seems very solid, and has two faux springs which are just metal rods bolted from leg to base, which should further stiffen the structure. From the flying videos I've seen, it seems almost TOO stiff. I would have liked to see some actual shocks instead of fake ones.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 01:38 PM
In NY's beautifull hills
Binghamton Broome Cty, New York, United States
Joined Jun 2004
1,126 Posts
Quote:
For what it's worth, the new landing gear seems very solid, and has two faux springs which are just metal rods bolted from leg to base, which should further stiffen the structure. From the flying videos I've seen, it seems almost TOO stiff. I would have liked to see some actual shocks instead of fake ones.
Seems having a ridgid upper center attachment would transfer all flex/bend to the short area between the axle attach & the lower spreader rod attach points --(ouch)
What I have is a pretty simple widely used spring compliant design which does not attach to fuse. I would do a pic to this post if any interest.
staggerwing is offline Find More Posts by staggerwing