HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 03, 2009, 06:49 PM
Joined Mar 2008
3,775 Posts
Discussion
Unique "mixer less" Bell Hiller Head design of the MSR plus Walkera 4#3 Mixer lesss

I found this Japanese website blog tackling the "mixer less" bell head design the of the MSR;

http://honeybee3ch.sakura.ne.jp/blog/177.html

If you notice, most bell hiller design uses mixing arms to mix the cyclic data of the swash and the flybar to the blade grip. In the case of the MSR, there are no mixing arms. Mixing is simply done by attaching the blade grip link somewhere between flybar's swash link and the the flybar rod. If its near the swash, mixing ratio is more favored to the swash. If its near the flybar rod, mixing ratio is more favored on the flybar. In the case of the walkera 4#3, the ratio is entirely favored to the flybar with 0 mix on the swash which makes it a hiller only design. Moving that blade grip link somwhere between the original mount and the swash link will automatically make it bell hiller. Kudos to the Japanese guy for that explanation.

EQMOD is offline Find More Posts by EQMOD
Last edited by EQMOD; Sep 05, 2009 at 03:51 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 03, 2009, 06:54 PM
Joined Mar 2008
3,775 Posts
showing a diagram of such mixing ratio;

Old Sep 03, 2009, 07:04 PM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
Hi Mon,
I attempted this. There is a "mixer". The flybar ring tilts instead of the mixer arm teeter-tottering. I didn't try flying it because the motion didn't look right to me, so I back-burnered the idea. It's an easy mod and would lend itself to the 45` flybar really well.

regards,
Bill
Air Vaca is offline Find More Posts by Air Vaca
Old Sep 03, 2009, 07:13 PM
Joined Mar 2008
3,775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Vaca
Hi Mon,
I attempted this. There is a "mixer". The flybar ring tilts instead of the mixer arm teeter-tottering. I didn't try flying it because the motion didn't look right to me, so I back-burnered the idea. It's an easy mod and would lend itself to the 45` flybar really well.

regards,
Bill
Hi Bill, for this mod to work on the 4#3, you need to swap the two servo's channel connections.

With the blade grip mix coming from the swash to flybar link , swash input to blade grip will be lagged by 90 degrees. To advance, just simply swap the two servo's connection to the 4-in-1
Old Sep 03, 2009, 08:53 PM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
Hi all,
The flybar ring tilts corner to corner. It didn't look good, that led me to the string link "variable length" link. I attached a piece of non-stretch fishing line from the screw that secures the flybar to the ring and the other end to the ball on the blade grip. The line winds/unwinds on the ring and "changes " length. The ring stopped the "funny" tilt I described and it operates very smoothly. The swash needs to be turned 45`or so to get the cyclic to work.
I haven't tried moving the servos and anti-rotation bracket. So, that part is untested.

regards,
Bill
Old Sep 03, 2009, 10:21 PM
Joined Mar 2008
3,775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Vaca
Hi all,
The flybar ring tilts corner to corner. It didn't look good, that led me to the string link "variable length" link. I attached a piece of non-stretch fishing line from the screw that secures the flybar to the ring and the other end to the ball on the blade grip. The line winds/unwinds on the ring and "changes " length. The ring stopped the "funny" tilt I described and it operates very smoothly. The swash needs to be turned 45`or so to get the cyclic to work.
I haven't tried moving the servos and anti-rotation bracket. So, that part is untested.

regards,
Bill

Will try to experiment on this over the weekend and initially start with the 90 degree flybar configuration.
Old Sep 04, 2009, 06:03 AM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
Hi Mon,
I was trying to get around excess linkage by getting cyclic data from the flybar ring in these experiments.
I posted photos some time back in one of the b/h threads or the Aussie thread. I'll have to look, but, I think I have the string link around. The photos are in my wife's computer and it's not home. She loaned it to her dad, who's discovering the net.
found the photo of moving the flybar link on the blade grip experiment post2229 March 23 2009 In the Aussie thread.
regards,
Bill
Last edited by Air Vaca; Sep 04, 2009 at 06:40 AM.
Old Sep 04, 2009, 08:41 AM
inventor of flames decals.
Hamburg, Germany
Joined Dec 2008
778 Posts
very nice find, mon! also notice how the paddles are actually pitched in the mSR design.
robZulu is offline Find More Posts by robZulu
Old Sep 04, 2009, 09:10 AM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
I found the photos of the string link experiment. UFO#8, 4#3b, 4g3 ...in Australia thread. page 169, post 2524. It sounds pretty silly. I didn't think moving the flybar link would work, either, and apparently it does.
sorry , I don't know how to post links. please excuse my ignorance.
regards,
Bill
Last edited by Air Vaca; Sep 04, 2009 at 09:22 AM.
Old Sep 04, 2009, 09:35 AM
inventor of flames decals.
Hamburg, Germany
Joined Dec 2008
778 Posts
heres the link
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...2#post11983902
robZulu is offline Find More Posts by robZulu
Old Sep 04, 2009, 10:49 AM
Toronto Canada
Joined Dec 2002
5,487 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robZulu
also notice how the paddles are actually pitched in the mSR design.
After reading your post, I took a look at mine. Mine don't have any pitch.

EDIT: After continuing on with this post I now realize that the word pitch is being used as a verb or adverb, not a noun or an adjective, which changes my interpretation of your original sentence.
Martyn McKinney is offline Find More Posts by Martyn McKinney
Last edited by Martyn McKinney; Sep 05, 2009 at 10:46 AM.
Old Sep 04, 2009, 11:10 AM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
Thanks Rob.
I think I see how to post the link, now.
I appreciate the help.
Bill
Old Sep 04, 2009, 11:50 AM
Coaxially Fixated
Rochester N.Y.
Joined Oct 2005
1,899 Posts
Hi EQMOD

thank you for posting this information , i had been seeing the mSR listed as bell hiller and looking at my machine , thinking this isn't bell hiller???? , your info clears this up for me , great design , thanks again
copperclad is offline Find More Posts by copperclad
Old Sep 05, 2009, 03:46 AM
Joined Mar 2008
3,775 Posts
ok, here is the result of the walkera 4#3 Mixer Less Bell Hiller mod experiment;

Linkages in action;

* Because i am using "unadjustable" fixed length ball links, there is an issue on blade tracking

Walkera 4#3 "Mixer-Less" Bell Hiller Mod Experiment - Link options (1 min 5 sec)

Test flight;

* The only issue here is there is a slight tbe after a hard cyclic input

Walkera 4#3 "Mixer-Less" Bell Hiller Mod Experiment - Flight Test (1 min 51 sec)

Head details;

Ball links at the corner of the flybar ring;

Ball link at the blade grip. I used a dremmel kit to drill a hole;

Final config

Old Sep 05, 2009, 05:36 AM
USA, CA, Cardiff-by-the-Sea
Joined Nov 2005
1,926 Posts
thats cool.
looks like its quick on the cyclic.
thats what i want.