SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 03, 2009, 05:23 PM
Phoenix, Arizona
Joined Jan 2009
1,421 Posts
Discussion
I need help building a quadcopter or hexacopter

Im moving this thread from the school and competion section to here, I think it makes more sense here.

I want to build a quadcopter for my school year project. My school will grant me $5000 in order to complete the project. I know how to build the quadcopter but im confused about all the control board options. I know there is the arduino board, the new board that was made by a member here, and the mikrocopter board. I am also considering building a hexacopter. Does the arduino board support a hexacopter? I know the mikrocopter does. Are there any other board options? What is the best board? I want it to have gps position hold, altitude hold, ect. I have also heard of the wolfgang board but I dont know exactly what features it supports.
lazer155 is offline Find More Posts by lazer155
Last edited by lazer155; Sep 03, 2009 at 09:07 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2009, 07:50 AM
Phoenix, Arizona
Joined Jan 2009
1,421 Posts
Any thoughts? I really need to hurry up and find out which control board I need to get.
Old Sep 04, 2009, 08:16 AM
Navarre, FL
Joined Mar 2002
3,839 Posts
If you're allowed to use a commercially made board, then the Mikrokopter is the way to go. You'll need all the options (navi-ctrl, compass, GPS) for GPS support, but it's worth it. The MK really doesn't have any competition in this price range.

BTW, what is the actual project? Most school projects seem to be designing the board electronics and software, but since you are allowed to buy a board, perhaps your project is the actual frame design?

Rusty
13brv3 is offline Find More Posts by 13brv3
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 04, 2009, 08:35 AM
Phoenix, Arizona
Joined Jan 2009
1,421 Posts
We just have to research and design something that could help the community. I plan on trying to design a frame with some really efficient motors to have the longest flight time possible. It will help the community by going over construction sites and taking pictures which the construction company could then use to promote itself or show its progress. That way the construction company or any company really would not have to hire a real manned helicopter to fly over their construction site.
Old Sep 04, 2009, 11:38 AM
Phoenix, Arizona
Joined Jan 2009
1,421 Posts
How does the wolfgang board compare to the mikrocopter board?
Old Sep 04, 2009, 12:27 PM
Navarre, FL
Joined Mar 2002
3,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazer155
How does the wolfgang board compare to the mikrocopter board?
If you're talking about the UAVP it doesn't compare. There's a new version of software in beta testing, but it will have a long way to go to catch up to the MK.

The UAVP-NG (Next Generation) has been under development for an eternity, but to my knowledge, it still isn't available.

Rusty
13brv3 is offline Find More Posts by 13brv3
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 04, 2009, 12:28 PM
Joined Oct 2008
330 Posts
Mikrocoptor and Ascending Tech are the most sophisticated and mature control platforms out there. (Well, at least that you can buy separately. Microdrone and the newer Draganflys are probably the best.)

The UAVP and UAVP-NG projects have promise, but I don't consider them as mature.

It will be interesting to see what kinds of flight times you can get. The longest that I have heard of for a quadrotor were by one of the Microdrones, with a flight time of something along the lines of 80 minutes.
Fredjikrang is offline Find More Posts by Fredjikrang
Old Sep 04, 2009, 01:04 PM
Phoenix, Arizona
Joined Jan 2009
1,421 Posts
Ascending tech? Ive never heard of them. Ill have to look them up, how doe sthe ascending tech board compare to the mikrocopter board? I also heard that one of the forum members here has a control board he designed. Is his board any good? It looked promising.

So far it looks like ill be getting the mikrocopter board though.
Old Sep 04, 2009, 01:05 PM
Phoenix, Arizona
Joined Jan 2009
1,421 Posts
I cant find ascending tech's website. Anyone got a link?
Old Sep 04, 2009, 03:04 PM
Joined Oct 2008
330 Posts
http://www.asctec.de/main/index.php?...=&lang=en&cat=
Old Sep 04, 2009, 03:21 PM
Wow That's Cool!
Bay Area, CA
Joined Nov 2004
2,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazer155
Ascending tech? Ive never heard of them. Ill have to look them up, how doe sthe ascending tech board compare to the mikrocopter board? I also heard that one of the forum members here has a control board he designed. Is his board any good? It looked promising.

So far it looks like ill be getting the mikrocopter board though.
They are the X-3D-BL folks ... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=950768

--Eric--
tend2it is offline Find More Posts by tend2it
Old Sep 04, 2009, 03:33 PM
Phoenix, Arizona
Joined Jan 2009
1,421 Posts
Ohhh.. so its the x-3d board, thanks. So which would be a better choice the asendtech board or the mikrocopter board? I cant find any pricing on the x-3d board on their website.
Old Sep 04, 2009, 03:49 PM
Joined Oct 2008
330 Posts
I'm guessing the asctech board is more expensive, but it is more powerful as well, as it has two ARM 60Mhz procs on it, one of which is open for user code.

It really depends on how much you want to do with software, and how much with hardware. If you want to do mostly hardware work, then I would probably go with the Mikrocoptor. If you want to play around with the software too, I would contact asctech and find out some more about their board.
Old Sep 04, 2009, 04:01 PM
Phoenix, Arizona
Joined Jan 2009
1,421 Posts
Ok I went ahead and sent asctech a message. Id like to be able to make software changes and experiment with it along with the hardware. Can the x-3d board support a hexacopter?
Old Sep 04, 2009, 04:30 PM
Joined Oct 2008
330 Posts
First of all, I don't think that you want the x-3D board. You would want the AutoPilot (http://www.asctec.de/main/index.php?...ang=en&cat=pro) or ResearchPilot (http://www.asctec.de/main/index.php?...ang=en&cat=pro) board. And considering that they have a hexrotor on their site (http://www.asctec.de/main/index.php?...ang=en&cat=pro) I would have to say yes, it supports a hexrotor.