SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 03, 2009, 03:29 PM
Joined Aug 2006
693 Posts
Help!
Slope Soaring Sites in Pembrokeshire

I know it's a long shot, but...does anyone know of any good slope sites in Pembrokeshire (South Wales)? I know there are a lot of military ranges around the coast there, so maybe model flying is restricted?

Ideally a site somewhere in the Pendine/Tenby/Lydstep/Broadhaven/Freshwater region.

If so, is there a specific club I would need to contact in order to fly as a 'guest'?

Thanks in advance.
DR_G is offline Find More Posts by DR_G
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 03, 2009, 03:36 PM
gettin back into the hobby
south coast almost
Joined Sep 2009
12 Posts
I used to holiday in Tenby, 15 years or so ago there used to be a model shop in Haverford West perhaps ask there.
slopenutter2 is offline Find More Posts by slopenutter2
Old Sep 03, 2009, 03:55 PM
I love living near the Bwlch!!
United Kingdom, Wales, Bridgend
Joined Aug 2009
175 Posts
I went for a drive one day from Bridgend to Aberystwyth along the Coast and back through the Valleys/Brecons. I saw heaps of places to fly but don't know of any official flying sites except for the SWSA sites which are a little bit away from you. Looking forward to seeing you at the Bwlch (near Treorchi and Nant y moel) one day!
Cheers
clayts75 is offline Find More Posts by clayts75
Old Sep 03, 2009, 05:46 PM
Great Orme
Joined Aug 2003
402 Posts
I have flown at Mwnt before but thats up near Cardigan. I have also flown form the coast path near newgale which was good. I have been climbing around the Lydstep area looks like loads of good cliff sites but I am not sure and as you say there are military ranges every where along that stretch.
Conwy-Soarer is offline Find More Posts by Conwy-Soarer
Old Sep 03, 2009, 07:26 PM
If it ain't broke...break it!
South Coast, UK
Joined Jun 2006
912 Posts
Went to the Gower with the girlfriend earlier this summer. Rhosili Down was beautiful, but I spent the entire time kicking myself for taking the coach and not being able to take a model 600 ft treeless coastal slopes facing into the prevailing wind off the Atlantic. Huge heather covered LZ. Easy access and perhaps sharing airspace with a couple of hangliders. Nice cream teas too
Hangtight is offline Find More Posts by Hangtight
Old Sep 04, 2009, 01:32 AM
If it can-it will!
Gower South Wales UK
Joined May 2007
2,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangtight
Went to the Gower with the girlfriend earlier this summer. Rhosili Down was beautiful, but I spent the entire time kicking myself for taking the coach and not being able to take a model.
I bet you did!! It's even better now the paragliders have all packed up and gone home.

There is slope forum member from Fishguard who could probably help, if only I could remember his name.....
cliffhanger is offline Find More Posts by cliffhanger
Old Sep 04, 2009, 01:46 AM
Great Orme
Joined Aug 2003
402 Posts
I agree with Cliff, Rhosilli is an awesome site especially now if the para gliders aren't there - not to far from you and an almost guaranteed prevailing wind and views second to none. Don't get me wrong I love flying on the orme (my home slope) but the gower is hard to beat.
Conwy-Soarer is offline Find More Posts by Conwy-Soarer
Old Sep 04, 2009, 03:06 AM
Joined Aug 2006
693 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys.

I know having been down to Lydstep quite a few times that the area looks like slope central, but I've never seen anyone flying.

There is always a good westerly breeze - presumably that's why Freshwater West is so popular with surfers?

Caldey or Skomer islands might also be good - all 360 degrees of them! If a Puffin can slope soar, I'm sure it would be a good site.

Cheers,
Old Sep 04, 2009, 03:30 AM
Joined Aug 2006
693 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJDemery
I agree with Cliff, Rhosilli is an awesome site especially now if the para gliders aren't there - not to far from you and an almost guaranteed prevailing wind and views second to none. Don't get me wrong I love flying on the orme (my home slope) but the gower is hard to beat.

Rhosilli is a bit far east for where we're based (Lydstep). Pendine is about as far east as I'd want to go (two year old gets bored in the car!). Can always pop in and see Babs in the museum there if its bad weather too!

Cheers,