HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 03, 2009, 12:03 PM
"Heli-Pimp"
McHenry, IL
Joined Mar 2003
2,943 Posts
Discussion
F3C Align T-rex 250, my build, what would you change??? If anything...

Here's the next project ready for electronics install and first flights...

Thank you again Keith for the nice digital servos...

I added 205 Carbon Fiber Mains, Carbon Fiber Boom, KDE aluminum frame base, aluminum main shaft bearing blocks, aluminum tail boom mount, New style main gear, "special washer set..."

Stock motor, Align DS410 Digital servos on cyclic, Futaba S3154 Digital doing tail duty with Futaba GY401 gyro... Spektrum AR6110E RX and DX6i radio all powered by OutrageXP 30C 3S1P-860 lipos

I am not positive I want to run the Align ESC(or motor), in fact I've been wondering if a Jeti Spin 11 is up to the task??? (I really only do sport flying)... Does AXI make a motor for the T-Rex 250???

I love the Jeti Spin controllers, but I think the Spin 22 is way overkill for this small bird...

Anyhoo, here's where I am now, getting ready to install the servos...

Ken
kdill2160 is offline Find More Posts by kdill2160
Last edited by kdill2160; Sep 08, 2009 at 10:43 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 03, 2009, 12:09 PM
Excellence is Expected
Aurora, Colorado
Joined Nov 2005
3,736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdill2160
Here's the next project ready for electronics install and first flights...

Thank you again Keith for the nice digital servos...

I added 205 Carbon Fiber Mains, Carbon Fiber Boom, KDE aluminum frame base, aluminum main shaft bearing blocks, aluminum tail boom mount, New style main gear, "special washer set..."

Stock motor, Align DS410 Digital servos on cyclic, Futaba S3154 Digital doing tail duty with Futaba GY401 gyro... Spektrum AR6110E RX and DX6i radio all powered by OutrageXP 30C 3S1P-860 lipos

I am not positive I want to run the Align ESC(or motor), in fact I've been wondering if a Jeti Spin 11 is up to the task??? (I really only do sport flying)... Does AXI make a motor for the T-Rex 250???

I love the Jeti Spin controllers, but I think the Spin 22 is way overkill for this small bird...

Anyhoo, here's where I am now, getting ready to install the servos...

Ken

I would replace all the hardware with the hardware from the clones.
MakMov is offline Find More Posts by MakMov
Old Sep 03, 2009, 12:13 PM
"Heli-Pimp"
McHenry, IL
Joined Mar 2003
2,943 Posts
Agree about hardware, I really don't like these tiny .9mm screws, they should have used 1mm w/torx heads, those would be sweet, and less prone to stripping the tiny wrench...

All in all though I think this is one sweet piece of engineering...

JMO, Ken
Old Sep 03, 2009, 12:21 PM
Joined Jun 2009
192 Posts
aint nothing wrong with what you got there. very nice. only thing I consider switching out is the gyro. get the align gp750 over the the gy401. there's a weight, and performance difference between the two.

the trex250 is an amazing micro heli. I sure love mine.
DrDoom is offline Find More Posts by DrDoom
Old Sep 03, 2009, 12:27 PM
"Heli-Pimp"
McHenry, IL
Joined Mar 2003
2,943 Posts
Honestly, I fly in rate mode most of the time, I was considering running a G190 I have here, I also have a GY240 or MS Composits HH Gyro(pretty small)...

I'm really curious to know how many AMPs I would really push this heli to draw...???

I want to run my Jeti Spin 11 on this heli... Would love some motor alternatives too...

Ken
Old Sep 03, 2009, 12:35 PM
Joined Jun 2009
192 Posts
the max watt on the stock motor is 180w. that's why there's an 15a esc in there. you wont reach that high but in general you need some head room. the stock esc is doing just fine in my bird. in fact i love it. really nice soft start, doesnt get hot, pretty reliable so far. the only negative is the governer mode is not good. but I've never tried it. been running 100% flat throttle curve in stunt.

trex 250 at The Park (5 min 30 sec)
DrDoom is offline Find More Posts by DrDoom
Last edited by DrDoom; Sep 03, 2009 at 12:42 PM.
Old Sep 03, 2009, 12:57 PM
Excellence is Expected
Aurora, Colorado
Joined Nov 2005
3,736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom
aint nothing wrong with what you got there. very nice. only thing I consider switching out is the gyro. get the align gp750 over the the gy401. there's a weight, and performance difference between the two.

the trex250 is an amazing micro heli. I sure love mine.

I agree, the GP750 is stellar. The 2100T is also a very good gyro on this heli
Old Sep 03, 2009, 01:24 PM
dze
Joined Jan 2008
5,917 Posts
my experience with different motors on other birds is the lipo will make more of a difference than anything and you say all you do is sport flying i would think your going to have more than enough with the stock motor and that outrage. Ive found if i want a degree more punch a scorpion motor can bring it, havent heard to many comments on the scorpion made for 3S on this size heli but thats probably what i will eventually try on mine. Im also planning on using a bec, maybe a castle. I'll probably start with the combo esc but if it gives me any lip at all in any way i'll order a cc25. I think the 401 is a great gyro but alittle physically large for the application but i sure wouldnt buy another gyro if thats what you got. The 3154 may be great in a digital capable gyro and ive seen people use them with seemingly great results but i dont think its the fastest servo out there although im a big fan of the quality and reliability of futaba, again if thats what i had i would use it. If i couldnt dial out a tail kick all the way i might transplant somthing else in.
dze is offline Find More Posts by dze
Old Sep 03, 2009, 05:17 PM
Too dumb to upload an avatar.
On the LIRR somewhere
Joined Jan 2007
2,405 Posts
I love your photo shoot layout. Was my 250 the only one that came with carbon blades and 1.3 mm hex head hardware for everything? My landing gear is also the beefier looking white ones. I guess I acidentally got slipped a 250 SE or something.
chrise2 is offline Find More Posts by chrise2
Old Sep 03, 2009, 05:21 PM
Excellence is Expected
Aurora, Colorado
Joined Nov 2005
3,736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrise2
I love your photo shoot layout. Was my 250 the only one that came with carbon blades and 1.3 mm hex head hardware for everything? My landing gear is also the beefier looking white ones. I guess I acidentally got slipped a 250 SE or something.

Nah, you just got a V2 with 1.3 hardaware and heavier frame.
Old Sep 08, 2009, 10:56 AM
"Heli-Pimp"
McHenry, IL
Joined Mar 2003
2,943 Posts
So...

After watching The "Hashimoto" F3C flight from last year a billion times, I am convinced that is the type of flying I'd love to do and set up my heli for...

I love the precision of these machines and love the precision of F3C Flying...

So, I have decided to turn my T-Rex 250 into the baddest F3C micro I can...

I have ordered the red Align F3C fuselage and should have it this week, now I am thinking I want to put a Futaba Gy520 on this animal... Thoughts???

Next to pick a proper tail servo, suggestions please for F3C tail control...???

And finally the drive train; I am not sure I want to run the stock motor and ESC, instead I'd rather run the best motor suited for this type of flying and the additional load of the fuselage...

Motor and ESC combinations suitable for the Align T-Rex 250 F3C fuselage/setup are also needed, I cannot seem to find a whole lot about motor options...

Any help is appreciated...
Old Sep 08, 2009, 11:05 AM
On the LIRR somewhere
Joined Jan 2007
2,405 Posts
I think for F3C flying, you want the heli as tame as possible. I think the stock motor is probably fine as long as the fuse isn't too heavy. Probably want to increase expo and decrease servo travel. I've heard F3C fliers use heavier blades and paddles for added stability. You may also want to try flying the heli in rate mode as that can make for smoother looking flight as the tail will follow the heli in ff.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 09:04 AM
"Heli-Pimp"
McHenry, IL
Joined Mar 2003
2,943 Posts
Update... (not that anyone's following this...)

So I ordered up the new hardware kit(1.3mm hex), The metal tail control links, and the updated tail blade grips(weighted)... The final bits me thinks...

My F3C Fuselage arrived in pristine condition, all parts accounted for, it really has a beautiful finish on it...

BUT... I also ordered the Hughs 500E fuselage with the Breitling paint scheme, I'm going to cut the lettering and logos to duplicate the original, I may sand and repaint the entire 500E fuselage to be as scale looking as possible, adding small trim details etc...

I still have not decided on a tail servo for this heli...
Last edited by kdill2160; Sep 12, 2009 at 09:14 AM.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 09:12 AM
"Heli-Pimp"
McHenry, IL
Joined Mar 2003
2,943 Posts
More photos...

The fuselage front section is held in place with two pins and four rare earth magnets, a very slick setup...
Old Sep 12, 2009, 09:15 AM
On the LIRR somewhere
Joined Jan 2007
2,405 Posts
Cool. I would never fly it. Too pretty!