HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 03, 2009, 03:49 AM
Joined Sep 2009
1 Posts
Discussion
How to make your RC Monster Truck wireless?

Hi all,

I just bought the Ford Explorer Monster Truck from Max Tech Toys

This is like the first RC I have ever bought and I have already fallen in love with this thing

However now I would like to go ahead and set it up to do a few things:

1. How do I set up a webcam (long-range) which can obviously be accessed on laptop? Where can I find a good deal for such a webcam?

2. Is there any way I can extend the range of my remote control or on the wilder side is there any way I can operate it via laptop?

Thanks in advance!
jury134 is offline Find More Posts by jury134
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 03, 2009, 11:50 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,281 Posts
Where there is a will there is always a way. But at what cost.

As for the WEBCAM or any sort of video camera it has nothing to do with the truck or RC itself, you need to get a camera system that will transmit video.

As for extending the range, making sure the antennas transmitter and truck are fully extended is the best way to ensure proper range BUT there is no sure way of extending the range beyond what it is design for.

If you're RC truck is of HOBBY grade meaning that it has servos and receiver, esc & motor then you could swap the receiver and transmitter for better performing radio system such as 2.4ghz radios that basicaly is limited by you're own EYE sight.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Sep 06, 2009, 08:52 AM
Joined Sep 2009
1 Posts
There are off-the-shelf IP cameras with a wireless interface(access from notebook), but they're not exactly cheap, also the resolution & refresh rate aren't very car-usable, or you could use one of those 2.4GHz analog systems(e-bay & others) with a TV-card for the PC...
anyways you'd still be limited to several hundred metres in open space, much much less in urban environment, that is of course using the standart antenas, with a huge(<2m) parabolic antenna for the wifi, it could be several miles in line of sight)...

also, check http://www.jbprojects.net/projects/wifirobot/ - a very nice way of remote control & video feed, but rather expensive & complicated...
AKA the A is offline Find More Posts by AKA the A