HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Capgun_Slim, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 03, 2009, 01:36 AM
Reno Cannon, Nevada, United States
Joined Jul 2003
836 Posts
Discussion
Materialistic goods, that are worth their weight in gold, and then some...

Hey everyone. I have been taking a break from RC for about the last 11 months for several reasons I don't want to get into. But something hit me today, that may benefit all of us who are on, and enjoy this board.

As I've been growing older, and into the flying hobby since 03', this board being the reason for the how to's of it, along with tons of great advice, I thought I, as well as many others may want to help in this thread, that has nothing to do with RC, but can if you like.

I would love to hear about products, of any kind, that have really stuck in your head throughout your life as being incredible, or indespensable in their quality, workmanship, and reliability. Things we can pass on to others that truly do, what is asked of them, and then some. Like a Timex watch, takes a licking, and keeps on ticking, but for real.

You must have personal, hands on knowledge of this product, and have put it through the test of time, and possibly have bought more of the same, due to the fact of how incredible, long lasting, job performance, etc. that the said product has performed. I think think you get it, at this point. I'll start off.

Rigid Wet Dry Vacuum - The $99.95 one at Home Depot. The one that converts from vacuum to blower, with several attachments. It's still $99.95 to this day. I bought one when I started an auto detailing business in 1998. I used it on a daily basis for hours upon hours at a time. Left the business for 3 years since that time to persue other things, but have been back into the detailing business the last year, and it's still going strong. I remove and clean the washable filter less than often, not nearly as much as I should, and it has never missed a beat. 11 years of commercial service, and it's never let me down once. Probably the best 100 bucks I've ever spent.

Toyota 4X4 or 4X2 pickups model years 81-85 - I've owned a 81', 84,' and an 85'. All 4X4's, and a 4X2 that was for lowering purposes. I literally put my 4x4's through hell, and back, starved them from even an oil change most times, and again like the vacuum above, never let me down. In fact, both my 81' and 85', I installed a 7" Skyjacker suspension lift, with 3" body lift along with 2" shackles, and 39.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Belted tires on, with stock gears, as well as the stock 22R, and the trucks entire drivetrain acted like it was saying, "What else you got?" Things are grenade proof.

So, I started it, you keep it alive guys. I will be checking back often, and if I can think of anything else in my life that has been "Better than advertised" I'll let you know. As well as, bumping it, if it needs it.

This can help all of us out. Like an extended time Consumer Reports of such, but with actual end users who have been around said product for a long time.
Capgun_Slim is offline Find More Posts by Capgun_Slim
Last edited by Capgun_Slim; Sep 06, 2009 at 06:03 AM.
Old Sep 03, 2009, 04:45 AM
Debary, Fl.
Joined Oct 2007
2,312 Posts
So far the only thing worth mentioning in our house hold is our Dyson vacuum. Only had it for 5 years now but is awesome. I like the newer models but this one will do.
Pudknocker71 is offline Find More Posts by Pudknocker71
Old Sep 03, 2009, 05:19 PM
Joined Jul 2003
836 Posts
That's an official start then. Dyson Vacuums. I have often wondered if they were worth the money, since they are a bit expensive, compared to the standard Bissel, Hoover, and other assorted vacuums in the 100-150 dollar category at the local Walmart. So 5 years and still going with heavy use I'm assuming, great, thank you.

As I think I stated above, this can be AYTHING you personally have spent a lot of time with.
Old Sep 03, 2009, 09:04 PM
United States, PA, Butler
Joined Jun 2006
1,000 Posts
Hardwood floors throughout FTW with vaccums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capgun_Slim
Rigid Wet Dry Vacuum - The $99.95 one at Home Depot. The one that converts from vacuum to blower, with several attachments. It's still $99.95 to this day.
I bought mine for $79. We use this exact one at work and it's all we will buy now. The Rigid Vac lasts us about 2 years of extremely heavy use (we make foam bead and plastic pellets about 2mm x 1mm and they get sucked up through the seams in filters all the time.) Any other vac we've had would last about 2 months until my coworker and I (only 2 of us in the department) bought the Rigid. Now the Expansion department has one, Molding has one, 2 maintenance departments each have one and the extrusion department has a total of 6, one on each of their production lines. The 6 in the extrusion department runs nearly 24/7. Awesome vac.

People ask me after my wife started working at Lowes, "what's the first thing you bought with your discount?" I bought a Home Depot shopvac, LOL.

Quote:
Toyota 4X4 or 4X2 pickups model years 81-85 - I've owned a 81', 84,' and an 85'. All 4X4's, and a 4X2 that was for lowering purposes. I literally put my 4x4's through hell, and back, starved them from even an oil change most times, and again like the vacuum above, never let me down.
Ditto on the Toyota 4x4, if it has the 22R or 22RE motor in it. I started with an 89 truck with 89k and ended up wrecking it at 139k. It ran better than any brand new vehicle I have driven. Paid $7000, drove it 2 years, insurance co. totalled it and gave me $8800 for it with a book value of $7000. I received 3 page list of "extra clean" items that added $1800 worth of value. Best part is, I was a heavy 4wheeler at the time and 3 days before, you couldn't tell what color the truck was from the mud caked on. I was a clean freak with my vehicle back then and scrubbed it to new condition after every 4wheel trip.

Had a 94 4Runner after that for a short time. Cost too much and I wasn't fond of the "luxury" and the V6. Went back to the 22RE in an 88 4Runner complete with vinyl flooring. Drove that from 105k to 189k before I sold it. That was in 2002 and last I knew, 3 years ago it was still running around Oil City, PA.

The 88 was abused, horrendously. I totalled it twice (deer), but didn't carry insurance on the truck (liability only) and put it back together. It NEVER had antifreeze in it. I would check it, fill it, and check after driving a short time and the radiator would be empty. It didn't burn it, leak it past the head gasket and I couldn't find a leak anywhere. I don't know what would happen to it so I gave up. Drove it for years and years, never bothered with antifreeze. This particular truck also, and this is the honest truth, ran with maybe 1 or 2 oil changes for the life I had it. I never added oil and never changed it. It ran phenomenal. The only thing I put money into except for brakes was a new clutch at 150k. Maintenance on these things are fantastic. Front brake pads every 50k almost on the nose, of which is merely pull 2 pins, pull the pads, put the new pads in, and replace the pins. No tools needed. Rear shoes every 150k, nearly on the nose and replace the clutch at 150k on the nose.

Sold it simply because I bought a house and wanted to haul stuff to work on the house. Sold it for a Tacoma, the infamous rusted framed Tacoma. This was the first time I had a problem with Toyota and I ended up getting rid of it when the frame rusted the year before the Tacoma buyback from Toyota. I paid $12,500 for it and got $7700 out of it. Had it been a year later (4 years into ownership) Toyota would have bought it back from me for $13,500, more than I paid for it.

After the Tacoma, bought the wife a *cough*Ford*cough* in the skin of a Mazda Tribute (same as the Ford Escape.) It isn't an 1/8th of what a Toyota is, but it was also $18k compared to $35k for the "comparable" Toyota. I ended up with the wife's hand-me-down Nissan Altima with a girlamatic transmission as a work-runner and I'm hating every minute I spend in the thing (the Altima is great, it's the girlamatic trans. I can't handle driving....)

Sorry I can't add anything to it. Capgun_Slim already mentioned my entry with Toyota 4x4s and I had to agree with the Rigid shopvac as well.
mrodgers is offline Find More Posts by mrodgers
Old Sep 03, 2009, 11:44 PM
Flying is an addiction
NE Georgia
Joined Aug 2008
347 Posts
Marvel Mystery Oil

started using it at 7 years old when I got my first dirt bike and have used it ever since. I'm currently 33 years old. I just acquired an 83 Honda V45 Sabre for $60 clean title, looks all most new. I heard a lot about how great sea foam was and decided to try it since the carbs needed some love, at first there was no change then it started to get a little better, about 60 miles later it was a LOT worse than it was originally. got it home and drained the tank (again), rinsed with a ton of clean water, dried added 2 gallons of gas a bottle of iso alchohol in case of remaining water and about 8 oz of MMO. ran like crap for a few minutes, 5 minutes latter i was able to ride it about 20 miles by the time I returned it was running like the carbs had been rebuilt, let it cool down for about an hour and rode it again, still a large improvement over the previous ride, so much so that going from 4th to 5th at 10500 all most blew the clutch.

it's also been used for god knows how long as an after run oil for rc engines

any one that can live with out a dremel tool I have to question their quality of life.

another thing that has never let me down is my 7.3L International Harvester (aka Powerstroke), best thing since sliced bread.

the 2nd amendment, allowed me to prevent my self from being car jacked in Columbia SC
commrad is offline Find More Posts by commrad
Old Sep 04, 2009, 01:13 AM
Joined Jul 2003
836 Posts
Yeah Rogers, I'm sorry. I should've added up the years 80'-88', right before the Tacoma series took over. But if the tacoma had the 22RE in it, it was terrific. I know you feel the same when I say, after buying a used one, which was the case in all of mine, they just feel, drive, and sound like new. Even after all the stuff I did to them, and just before I re-sold them, they all felt, and sounded, like new. Nary a squeak could be heard. Never a tighter vehicle have I ever had the pleasure of owning since then.

I too was not a fan of the 3.0 V6. It seems they kinda lost something there. A bit more power yes, but the motors wouldn't hold a candle to the reliability and toughness of the 22R/RE. Plus the V6 had the problem of running hot, for the first 4-5 years after it was introduced. Lots of blown headgaskets, followed with the unfortunate bending of the valves.

I'm also glad to see, you had the good fortune to run into the Rigid Vacuum series. Just a little tidbit I should've added before. I had 2 Sears Wet/Dry Vac's prior to trying the Rigid, and both literally caught fire after around 1 month of use, each. Not bagging on Sears Craftsman products, as they did exchange it free, and the 2nd time around gave me a refund.

Alrighty, great testimonials so far, lets hear more! Remember, this can be anything from guns to a particular brand of bed sheets. So don't be shy, share. Please be specific though on what brand and type/model and your stories about them.
Old Sep 04, 2009, 01:27 AM
Joined Jul 2003
836 Posts
So "Sea Foam" is the product your mentioning? What is it, and are there any other applications you've used it for? I just want to make sure we stay specific, so there is no confusion when people might be considering a product mentioned.

Dremel Tool was clear.

7.3 International harvester I happened to Google, and I have a few questions. Again, this is just so people know specifics. It seems the motor was produced from 88'-94', it was a IDI or (Indirect Injection) powerplant, and as you stated, a "Powerstroke". Can you tell us some stories of it's toughness? Mileage?
Old Sep 04, 2009, 04:01 AM
Flying is an addiction
NE Georgia
Joined Aug 2008
347 Posts
Quote:
So "Sea Foam" is the product your mentioning? What is it, and are there any other applications you've used it for? I just want to make sure we stay specific, so there is no confusion when people might be considering a product mentioned.

Dremel Tool was clear.

7.3 International harvester I happened to Google, and I have a few questions. Again, this is just so people know specifics. It seems the motor was produced from 88'-94', it was a IDI or (Indirect Injection) powerplant, and as you stated, a "Powerstroke". Can you tell us some stories of it's toughness? Mileage?

Sorry, no the sea foam was not a good experience, Marvel Mystery Oil saved the day. I've used it to clean carbs, keeps the inside of engines clean I've used it to free frozen chevy engines the list would be 20 pages if it was complete, I love MMO and it has never once failed me, well once, I accidentally turned a bottle over and it did not clean it's self up but I don't count that.

I doubt your gona find much about the 7.3 being built by IH, I spent 10 years as a QA/QM in an OEM supplier for Ford, GM, Saturn Bombardier, Jeep the list goes on and on they will tell you they built the exhaust system, nope not true, built by 1 of 2 companies in the US, Walker or Bosal, I worked at the later of the 2. the 7.3 was built by IH on the same line that built the blue bird school bus diesel which used a diff type of injection. cheaper for ford to out source to a manufacturer who was all ready set up to do this kinda work not to mention the cost of designing a new engine.

as for being tough, mine has 300K miles and has never had more than oil/ filter and fuel filter changes every 10k miles if it needed it or not. my buddy has 830k miles on his, had to replace 3 glow plugs and oil and filter changes. mine still has the factory fan belt with no cracks. both those trucks all so run MMO in the fuel and oil.
Old Sep 04, 2009, 04:07 AM
Flying is an addiction
NE Georgia
Joined Aug 2008
347 Posts
ok maybe I was wrong it's on wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Power_Stroke_engine

both 7.L IDI and 7.3 powerstroke DI are built by IH
Last edited by commrad; Sep 04, 2009 at 04:13 AM.
Old Sep 04, 2009, 02:37 PM
Joined Jul 2003
836 Posts
Thanks for the clarification Commrad, much appreciated. I may just have to grab me up some of the Marvel Mystery Oil myself sometime, to throw in my 66' Beetle and 67' Karmann Ghia.

Ok, lets hear some more! I'm really excited to keep this thread going!
Old Sep 04, 2009, 04:01 PM
Oviedo,FL
Joined Dec 2000
1,163 Posts
x3 on the Toyota pickups. Had an '82 pickup in high school (hand me down from dad) and beat the crap out of it. I'm talking crazy reckless teen driving, 6 feet of air, tearing through the woods, etc.... It never flinched. Bought myself a gently used '93 4x4 a couple of years after I graduated and still have it. Best truck ever

I'll add my Snapper Hi-Vac self-propelled walk-behind mower to the list.
R. Carver is offline Find More Posts by R. Carver
Old Sep 05, 2009, 12:15 AM
United States, PA, Butler
Joined Jun 2006
1,000 Posts
Quote:
I too was not a fan of the 3.0 V6. It seems they kinda lost something there. A bit more power yes, but the motors wouldn't hold a candle to the reliability and toughness of the 22R/RE. Plus the V6 had the problem of running hot, for the first 4-5 years after it was introduced. Lots of blown headgaskets, followed with the unfortunate bending of the valves.
Has to be noted though, blown headgasket = destroyed motor = brand new 3.0L motor from Toyota no matter what the mileage.

They were a little slow with the Tacoma buyback as I researched after my frame rot problem and read a ton of complaints online about the frames rotting prematurely (I had 92,000 miles on it, motor not even broken in yet...) But they did do something about it just as they did with the 3.0L head gasket problem.
mrodgers is offline Find More Posts by mrodgers
Old Sep 05, 2009, 11:37 PM
Joined Jul 2003
836 Posts
I hope more people will add to this thread. Everyone, from every walk of life has experienced a terrific product, so please share.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 01:52 AM
Joined Jul 2003
836 Posts
Bump, C'mon guys!
Old Sep 17, 2009, 03:34 AM
Bombs away! Err...landing
Upper Hutt, New Zealand
Joined Apr 2006
2,111 Posts
I might argue that almost nothing is worth its weight in gold. Gold is roughly $8000 US per pound putting the value of that mid 80s Toyota pickup at around $32,000,000. Now, which would you rather have?
Ira NZ is offline Find More Posts by Ira NZ