HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 02, 2009, 06:54 PM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,866 Posts
FAQ
5s and 6s charging speeds...

Guys, I have a cellpro 10s charger and so far in the limited use I really like it. It charges two 5s packs at the same time or one 6s (up to 10s) at a time. Trouble is that it takes about 60-90mins to recharge a pack(s), is that typical for 6000mAh sized packs? Those of you flying these larger packs in 10s and 12s configurations, how are you recharging your packs at the field for flying? It would pain me to have to wait a couple hours between flights....what am I missing here?
strictlyscale is offline Find More Posts by strictlyscale
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2009, 07:09 PM
ohio
Joined Aug 1999
3,585 Posts
what charge rate are you using? 60 minutes is more the norm, 90 is a bit long. i have been using a hyperion duo up to this point, although i just bought two icharger 208b's...20 amp charge rate,350watts total each.
kevin is offline Find More Posts by kevin
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Video of my HK Cobra
Old Sep 02, 2009, 07:13 PM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,219 Posts
The trouble is probably the total "wattage" your charger can pump out.
Some chargers claim for example, 'Up to 10s and up to 10amps!', but the truth is that they most likely cannot do both at the same time.

To charge your 6s 6000mah in 1-hour (1C), you'll need 133.2 watts of charging power (22.2v x 6a).

Most lower-end chargers are limited to around 50-75 watts... so even though you set your charger for say, 6 amps, it just can't deliver that much current on a 6s pack. I'm not familiar with the cellpro, but I would check to see how much wattage it's really capable of putting out.

To answer your second question, I throw my big 5s packs on a Hyperion 720i (250 watt charger) and fast charge them in just under 30 minutes!!! (18.5v x 13a = 240.5w)

Cheers,
Vic
AceMigKiller is offline Find More Posts by AceMigKiller
Old Sep 02, 2009, 07:20 PM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,866 Posts
The cellpro goes up to a 10A charge rate (318W continuous input and 260W continuous output). I've just been using the default which appears to be around 4A. I've been charging through the node connectors, which I think is why it's limited to 4A. Do you use the discharge wires to charge through? If I use those combined with the node connectors I can go up to the 10A charge rate. Any suggestion on how I use my female bullet plugs into the banana plug connection on the charger?
Old Sep 02, 2009, 07:43 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,190 Posts
Well my friend here's what you need to do... buy one more cellpro
if you’re going to do two 6s at once

I have two cellpro's and two TP-1010

The cellpro is so much better... set to faster charge (at the field) on the mode button
Then set to 2c charge ... at home a do 1c and accurate mode

It will do a 6s 5000 mah in 25 minutes on 2c charge... I run two at once (sometimes all 4 )and can be back in the air in 25 minutes

I have two flight packs for all my planes so I can rotate.. I bring them fully charge and put them back on the charger after the flight...

I bring three planes to fly and most of the time I can't keep up with the chargers... I'll knock out ten flights and head home

I don't think you can 2c charge when you have two packs hooked up
use the charge leads with bannana plugs for one pack, plug them into the ports farthest apart.. and hook up the balance plug

works like a champ.. and very fast

Ron
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Old Sep 02, 2009, 08:34 PM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,866 Posts
Ron, you're the man. Thanks for the feedback. Couple quick questions...do you make up a jumper with one end as a male bullet and the other a male banana plug? When you say set to faster charge, do you mean increasing the charge current up to 10A, or something else? I see the charger goes up to 3C....what is the difference between 1C, 2C and 3C charge rates?
Last question...at the field how are you powering your Cellpro? We have electricity at our field so I've taken my 25A Radio Shack power supply. Do you do something differently?
Old Sep 02, 2009, 09:12 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,190 Posts
1c x 5000 mah= 5amp charge
2c x 5000 mah = 10 amp charge
3c x 5000 mah = 15 amp charge you need really good packs for this.. I'm still a bit scared of 3c.. it will be fine but may knock off some life of the pack..maybe 15% ... I like 2c and it's plenty fast for me

no don't make a jumper ...on the top face of cellpro there four bannana plug ports... you see the arrow above them point to the two outside ports for single pack... plug you charge lead into them + and - then to you pack..with what ever pulg you may have on that.. then the balance board plugs into channel one.. if 6s the lead on the board marked for 6s only goes into channel two... humm..sound confusing..lol .. but it's not really
let me know if you need a picture and I'll do it

At one of my fields we have power.. I have a 50amp Iota power supply
but it can only run three chargers on 1c....
so the best I've found for me and it's working so well! is go down to Walmart and get two 125 amp hour deep cycle marin battieres... make a jumper to have them in parallel... they have know problem run my four chargers at 2c ..I'm sure I could run them at 3c... I've run six chargers off it before...it's just awsome... I then charge them with a fast charger over night and I'm good to go the next day.... I can charge all weekend with this....maybe 30 6s packs can be charged... it's all I need.

if your going to run two cellpro wide open 2c or 3c your going to need a couple 50 amp power supplies to meet the demand and they don't come cheap.. $250 a pop... on 1c it will run 3 but that's a 50 minute charge..

I got my 125 amp hour battiers on sell for $65 bucks a piece... they should hold up a few years and I can charge anywhere...

I'll take a pic of my setup for you.. it works great
Old Sep 02, 2009, 09:28 PM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,866 Posts
Thanks Ron, that (pics) would be great. What do you mean by 'charge lead' when you say plug in your charge lead to the cell pro then into your pack? Sorry to sound so dense...the cellpro did not come with any leads.
Old Sep 02, 2009, 09:32 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,364 Posts
How high a c rating is safe to charge lipos? Can you charge a 1300 2s or 3s pack at 2.6amps? Dumb question I know, but I ain't the brightest bulb on the tree.
baldguy is online now Find More Posts by baldguy
Old Sep 02, 2009, 09:46 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,190 Posts
Yep Baldguy you got it... 2.6 is 2c
so it really depend on your pack and what you trust.. I've been doing 2c for a couple years now and see no problem with it.. I may try 3c..some packs are rated for 5c

1300 x 1c = 1.3 amps = 45 minutes
1300 x 2c = 2.6 = 25 minutes
1300 x 3c = 3.9 = 18 mintues
1300 x 4c = 5.2 = 15 mintues
1300 x 5c = 6.5 now thats a very fast charge maybe 10 minutes at the most

those are rough charge times from what I'm seeing on mine.. I'm not in that huge of a rush when I fly 25 minutes is fine for me... with two flight packs per plane.. bring three planes and 6 six flight packs and you'll fly your butt off all day
Old Sep 02, 2009, 10:14 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,190 Posts
few more

I also charge the marine battieres in parallel so I don't have to switch them out when there done.. they just charge up at the same time
Old Sep 02, 2009, 10:18 PM
Suspended Account
Mokena,Illinois -United States
Joined Oct 2006
5,826 Posts
The new packs are 5c charge rates correct?? Like the new NEU and the new Hyperion G3 packs can do it. I would never charge over 1c in my house!!! Id be scared sxxxless to do 5c at home. I'd stare at the lipo til it was done constantly checking temps.
lavochkin is offline Find More Posts by lavochkin
Old Sep 02, 2009, 10:31 PM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron101
this should give you a better idea
Ron, thanks for the pics. I've been using 6mm and 6.5mm bullet plugs so I'll have to make up some leads to utilize the discharge leads for charging as well as the node connectors. Thanks for posting the screen shots too.

Let's hope your pilot doesn't need to kick the rudder pedals.
Old Sep 02, 2009, 10:55 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,190 Posts
No problem ... yea poor pilot got his feet blown off to fit in his new P-47..lol

Joe,
the new packs are sort of all over the place.. I charge all my 25c packs at 1c... the 30c I do 2c and thunder power say that's fine

Neu and Hyperion have packs going to 5c .... but like you I wouldn't try that at home

I have no problem with 2c and have packs that have hundreds of flights abused like this ... I'm sure for good packs claiming 5c charge 3c isn't going to hurt them.. but for me I just don't have a need to charge them under 25 minutes... I could see if you had only one set of packs you would want to charge fast.. so it's cool it can be done but there only a couple chargers that can even charge at those levels...then you need a power supply that can take it...