Closed Thread
Old Sep 02, 2009, 03:29 PM
Davison, MI
Joined Sep 2007
1,223 Posts
Discussion
Uncle Willies Plans/Info - Shinden Kit/Laser Cut

Hey Guys,

I'm looking to do a laser cut kit this winter and found the Uncle Willies site. Tell me about it.

I'm looking at the Shinden info and it looks like you can get a laser cutting of the parts needed from centuryjet ???

Turn down your sound. He has loud music there.

http://unclewilliesplans.com/about15.html

I'm also looking at this DO-335 http://www.wingsontheweb.com/do335/CAD_Do335.php

The 335 would be a much more complete kit but I have all the help needed to build either one.

I don't really see too much info on the Uncle Willie stuff and even less info on any Shinden builds.

Any info you guys can point me to would be great.

Thanks.

Joe

www.thecaterhamproject.com
Joespeeder is offline Find More Posts by Joespeeder
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2009, 03:47 PM
Davison, MI
Joined Sep 2007
1,223 Posts
Hey Guys,

Uh Ok... I'm starting to read about Uncle Willie and it's not good. I guess that's why I don't see his site mentioned more. They are old posts but convincing.

Any info from other sources on a 60ish inch wing spanned Shinden?

Joe

Old Sep 02, 2009, 04:49 PM
Pro Horder
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,602 Posts
Go with the do335..Gary does really good work..I have his Ho229 kit..Uncle shister is a bad idea..
turbonut is online now Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Sep 02, 2009, 05:08 PM
Davison, MI
Joined Sep 2007
1,223 Posts
Thanks turbonut,

I think your right. The whole UW thing was/is new to me. I didn't know the history and controversy that was involved.

I knew something was weird when I had a tough time figuring out the site and how it worked. I thought it was just a hold over from times past and not as user friendly as current offerings. Then I started reading.....

So I'm back to the 335 for the winter. I've got other projects to finish but I'll start doing the surfing needed to put together a shopping list.

Live and learn.

Joe

Old Sep 04, 2009, 03:17 PM
Joined Apr 2004
355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbonut
Go with the do335..Gary does really good work..I have his Ho229 kit..Uncle shister is a bad idea..

What are we talking about?
As i cannot figure out what is meant here?
Links ?
Thanks, newbie on here.
Aphorism's Dream is offline Find More Posts by Aphorism's Dream
Old Sep 04, 2009, 04:17 PM
New Zealand, Otago, Harwood
Joined Sep 2004
2,405 Posts
Thermic, the Uncle Shyster is a reference to "Uncle Willie". Do a search on this forum using Uncle Willie as the key words and read about him, that should help clear up any confusion you have.
Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Kiwi
Old Sep 04, 2009, 05:24 PM
Joined Apr 2004
355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi
Thermic, the Uncle Shyster is a reference to "Uncle Willie". Do a search on this forum using Uncle Willie as the key words and read about him, that should help clear up any confusion you have.
Okay, I'll do that.
I hope it is not that he doesn't find it necessary to knuckle under to the currently fashionable liberal "thought police".
Thanks for persons who do have, will speak, and are not afraid to have their opinions known.
I say this meaning everyone, whether I find agreement or not in their views.
Anyway, thank you.
Old Sep 05, 2009, 03:17 AM
Denmark
Joined Dec 2004
559 Posts
Hi all

The Shinden in the Youtube video that Uncle Willie links to is my 32" design from the first Scale Build Off. The plan is a 62" design by Colonel Thacker. There is no connection between the two design except they are both Shindens.

I did contact Uncle Willies to ask him not to link to my design without making it clear that the model in the video is NOT what he is selling plans for and got this answer: I am unable to log on and change the web site. They are shuttung it down in 2 weeks.
When I build the new site, I will try not to remember to add that to the listing. Willie

What a joke he is

My own Shinden will be available as a lasercut kit from Manzano Laser Service. Hopefully in 2010.

The Shinden build thread can be found here

- Michael Hammer, Hammer Design
michaelghammer is offline Find More Posts by michaelghammer
Last edited by michaelghammer; Sep 05, 2009 at 04:10 AM.
Old Sep 05, 2009, 05:34 AM
Suspended Account
West Central PA
Joined Dec 2008
2,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joespeeder
Hey Guys,

Uh Ok... I'm starting to read about Uncle Willie and it's not good. I guess that's why I don't see his site mentioned more. They are old posts but convincing.

Any info from other sources on a 60ish inch wing spanned Shinden?

Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelghammer
Hi all

The Shinden in the Youtube video that Uncle Willie links to is my 32" design from the first Scale Build Off. The plan is a 62" design by Colonel Thacker. There is no connection between the two design except they are both Shindens.

I did contact Uncle Willies to ask him not to link to my design without making it clear that the model in the video is NOT what he is selling plans for and got this answer: I am unable to log on and change the web site. They are shuttung it down in 2 weeks.
When I build the new site, I will try not to remember to add that to the listing. Willie

What a joke he is
That's pretty funny Michael, he had no problem getting onto his site to delete a plan, to stop someone from using it for free:
Somebody posted a plan from Uncle Willies on Wattflyer. The plan as seen on the UW website was a useable, printable plan. The next day the plan dissapeared from the site. No more freebie.

Joespeeder,
What really got me was that they show material on the site that you would not want your kids to see. I find that offensive to associate that with our hobby in any way, shape or form. I don't go there after I saw that material.
WTFLYR is offline Find More Posts by WTFLYR
Last edited by WTFLYR; Sep 05, 2009 at 10:02 AM.
Old Sep 05, 2009, 07:36 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,703 Posts
Hah. He posts images big enough to trace anyway. Why buy?

I like his list of evil scumbags who are ripping off his plans.

The guy is shameless..

vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Sep 05, 2009, 09:07 AM
Joined Apr 2004
355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage1

The guy is shameless..

Okay, I see what was implied.
The nudity stuff... well thats nothing serious, just his expression. I doubt "kids" would find anything interesting there anyway. Certainly nothing there is more enlightening than todays crap media passing as "entertainment" and at least it does not attempt to pass its self off as national news!!!
Anyway, Thank you you all... the other concerns are now known to me. I'll shut up on this now.

Michaelghammer: Great good luck with your kit.
vintage1: good luck with your fine kits too. Do you have a list link, as I lost my bookmarks to dumb thumb syndrome!
Last edited by Thermic Trio; Sep 05, 2009 at 09:14 AM.
Old Sep 05, 2009, 09:59 AM
Suspended Account
West Central PA
Joined Dec 2008
2,140 Posts
Quote:

The guy is shameless..

That was exactly the point.
Someone posted a link to one of those images. He must have Googled his name that very day, as it was gone from the site the next day. Probably one of those folks who Googles their name every day. There's a few of them that are here in an instant, if someone mentions their name. I misspell the names of those types to the point of barely discernible, to keep them at bay.
WTFLYR is offline Find More Posts by WTFLYR
Old Sep 07, 2009, 06:12 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,703 Posts
Well its all pretty academic anyway. If he sells more than a plan a week I would be surprised.

Not exactly megabucks.

Anyway, I am playing with 3d CAD, which is great, because you don't ever need plans..just a few main parts laid out over a datum, and the rest just notches together...its a kit that you cant rip off, because you would have to buy one, scan the wood, trace it, and re-set the machinery up to cut it..building one of mine 'by hand' and cutting the parts out would be next to impossible..

Hey Uncle Sillie, sell a plan for THIS..
Old Sep 07, 2009, 10:40 AM
Joined Apr 2004
355 Posts
Quote:
Well its all pretty academic anyway. If he sells more than a plan a week I would be surprised.

Not exactly megabucks.

Anyway, I am playing with 3d CAD, which is great, because you don't ever need plans..just a few main parts laid out over a datum, and the rest just notches together...its a kit that you cant rip off, because you would have to buy one, scan the wood, trace it, and re-set the machinery up to cut it..building one of mine 'by hand' and cutting the parts out would be next to impossible..

Hey Uncle Sillie, sell a plan for THIS..
WOW!!!!! That is neat!!
Your CAD skill is much admired on these forums.... as it should be. Are you using Rhino CAD or evolving 3D from within say Varicad or ProE, AutoCAD..etc?
I know some persons used to use Corel Draw for this too.

Could you PM me a link to your old timer plans and kits?
That was what I had meant to ask for.

Anyway,
Thank you all.
Old Sep 07, 2009, 02:27 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,703 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermic Trio
WOW!!!!! That is neat!!
Your CAD skill is much admired on these forums.... as it should be. Are you using Rhino CAD or evolving 3D from within say Varicad or ProE, AutoCAD..etc?
I know some persons used to use Corel Draw for this too.

Could you PM me a link to your old timer plans and kits?
That was what I had meant to ask for.

Anyway,
Thank you all.
Working in Rhino.

Some of my earlier designs - well ripoffs because they are all very loose reproductions of older models - are at www.manzanolaser.com.

The newer stuff including some that is not for sale yet is at www.blackandwhite-models.com or the official Replikit site, www.replikit.com which is not as up to date, but does allow online card sales.

Note that on the blackandwhite site, my stuff is under Shop-> Aircraft Kits->Balsa kits->Laser cut full kits.

The minimoa is JUST into production, the pushy cat still has some aero issues.

ALL of tehse are laser recuts and total plna redarws from fifs and pdfs and in some cases plan photos

Coming soon should be the Mercury 96, a beautiful 8 ft cabin high wing vintage design, the 'Frog Interceptor' which is a scale up of the original frog rubber and metal model to 58"..intended as an advanced sport tratiner, (see vintage forum) and Der RotJaeger or 'Red Raider'. Featured here. WorkInProgress is protobuildng the Interceptor. I am on the Mercury, and who knows who gets the RotJaeger. Me probably, as this will make a good show display flyer.

Once I get this 3D CAD stuff sorted, progress and new models should be quicker..if I can find people to build protos..or sell some of the existing ones! No space at the Inn.
Closed Thread