HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 02, 2009, 02:57 PM
Joined Aug 2009
97 Posts
Discussion
New plane, New Problems

Hi everyone, I just got my Art Tech Spitfire and put it together however i have a few concerns. I would really appreciate if someone can help me.

1) The elevator upwards throw is about half of downwards because inside the fuselage the control horn bends that way. Is there anything that can be done or should be ok?

2) There are 2 screws that holds the main wing connected to the fuselage and 1 of them is just loose. the hole is too big for it. The other one fits perfectly. What can be done?

If someone can help me with these questions i would be really grateful.

Thank You before hand!
ttuzun is offline Find More Posts by ttuzun
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2009, 03:45 PM
Coy, peruser of worlds
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,884 Posts
ttuzun -

Check the manual that came with the plane for control throw allowances. You're o.k. if it falls in that range. My guess would be in the area of 1/2" each way is enough. May need to have some clearance cut in the rudder area to allow the horn more movement.

Try getting a larger dia. screw to fit the troublesome threaded hole but still small enough to fit through the wing. If you ordered it from HL direct, they might be able to help via e-mail or phone.
gnats82 is offline Find More Posts by gnats82
Last edited by gnats82; Sep 02, 2009 at 03:50 PM.
Old Sep 03, 2009, 02:36 AM
Joined Aug 2009
97 Posts
I solved the screw problem however the movement doesnt seem enough. The manual doesnt say anything about it either. The upwards movement is about quarter of an inch. Considering it might bend more in the air i dont feel confident.

If ı could open up the fuselage i would be able to fix it np however ı dont want to destroy it.

I was planning on drilling tiny holes and passing through a tin wire and then tie it up outside to hold horn in place and prevent it from bending. I ll try to figure out other ways too.
Old Sep 03, 2009, 04:41 AM
Coy, peruser of worlds
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,884 Posts
ttuzun -

I may be having a misunderstanding. When you say the control horn is bending, do you mean by some force acting on it (deforming) or is it molded or attached curved? I assumed curved as originally stated.

The elevator should move freely and the control horn should not bend or deform to move it nor should the linkage bind in any way.

Also, with the control linkage detached from the horn at the elevator, the elevator should move freely up and down, at least 1/2" each way (measured at the trailing edge of the elevator). If it is stiff or very resistant to movement, that would need to be corrected

I just checked the HL website and it has a good view of the elevator hook-up and it the simplest kind and would need no modification if hooked up correctly. If it is just a matter of the push-rod binding against the fuselage where it comes out, the rod can be carefully bent to relieve that.

Have you set up any other r/c planes?
Last edited by gnats82; Sep 03, 2009 at 05:17 AM.
Old Sep 03, 2009, 05:14 AM
Joined Aug 2009
97 Posts
i am sorry. Its my bad. I wanted to say control rod not horn. I apologize.

The elevator does move more then 1/2 " however its not too free a little stiff.

It is the rod that bends inside. I am also considering buying steel rods and changing it with the original.
Old Sep 03, 2009, 05:23 AM
Coy, peruser of worlds
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttuzun
i am sorry. Its my bad. I wanted to say control rod not horn. I apologize.

The elevator does move more then 1/2 " however its not too free a little stiff.

It is the rod that bends inside. I am also considering buying steel rods and changing it with the original.
These planes will work fine with the control parts they have made it with, no need to replace the control rod - sounds like you just need to make small adjustments to it where it exits the fuselage until the binding is relieved. Just unlink the rod from the control horn and bend it gradually until it lay straight to the elevator horn then reattach and test.

Somewhere along the line it might have been bumped to deform the rod.

Addit.: Check out the test and review of this model in this forum if you already haven't. Just saw the kind of hinging they're using and it is prone to some stiffness. With the control rod detached, you could work it up and down to work out some of that stiffness.
Last edited by gnats82; Sep 03, 2009 at 05:37 AM.
Old Sep 04, 2009, 03:44 AM
Joined Aug 2009
97 Posts
i ll try doing it tonight. If somehow i cant make it work. I am planning on getting some cover for it (like hollow carbon fiber? or wood?) and put the rod in it or find a way to hold it in place.
Old Sep 04, 2009, 08:31 AM
Coy, peruser of worlds
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttuzun
i ll try doing it tonight. If somehow i cant make it work. I am planning on getting some cover for it (like hollow carbon fiber? or wood?) and put the rod in it or find a way to hold it in place.
I feel like we must be overlooking something here. You are trying to move the control surface with the radio aren't you? If you're trying to force it physically, that won't work with the linkage still attached at the servo. Have you checked to make sure there isn't something wrong with the linkage inside the fuselage like a foreign object jamming the linkage?

There should be no need to modify this what-so-ever, just a careful check over of the existing airframe. The only thing that is to hold the rod "in place" would be it's attachment to the control arm at the servo and the clevis link at the elevator control horn. Driven by the servo, it needs to float freely through the fuselage side slot/exit with no binding and no additional guide.

As I asked earlier, have you set up any other r/c planes?
Last edited by gnats82; Sep 04, 2009 at 08:42 AM.
Old Sep 04, 2009, 08:37 AM
Joined Aug 2009
97 Posts
I move it with the radio. i can even see it being bent inside no matter what the servo does. Its just not aligned properly. The rod is almost 40cm long. Personally unles it is secured somehow, a 1mm rod would bend no matter. I asked other people who had this plane and it seem to be a common problem with several different fixes. I am going to try the carbon fiber rod fix and see what happens.
Old Sep 04, 2009, 08:52 AM
Coy, peruser of worlds
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,884 Posts
ttusun --

This really reads to me like a problem with the elevator hinging being too stiff, causing the rod to deform. Making the rod more rigid seems sensible however the servo will be forced into a higher loading just to move this and cause a faster battery drain and ultimately possibly ruin the servo gears.

I set up a Thunder Tiger P-40 that uses a very similar hinging method and chose to cut the elevator off from the stabilizer and re-hinged using small Dubro pin hinges.

FWIW.

From reading the test of this model, it looks like it is very sensitive to elevator throws so 1/4" each way from neutral may be o.k. but ideally with the servo not having to fight so hard to get the movement.
Last edited by gnats82; Sep 04, 2009 at 08:57 AM.
Old Sep 04, 2009, 09:00 AM
Joined Aug 2009
97 Posts
I ll try to take of some of the stiffness, support the rod and eventually try to change the hinges. I need to order the hinges from somewhere though, possibly hobby king
Old Sep 04, 2009, 09:03 AM
Coy, peruser of worlds
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,884 Posts
ttusun -

Do you have a fairly local hobby shop? Sad that you would have to order something like a pkg. of hinges.
Old Sep 04, 2009, 09:15 AM
Joined Aug 2009
97 Posts
I do however,

1) Yesterday because they turned on the controller with full throttle on my plane blew to pieces. I tried to repair it all night.

2) they sell about everything AT LEAST twice the price of ordering (including shipping)

So i dont wanna buy anything from there as long as its not urgent or really cheap. Also they dont have many options idk if they would even carry small hinges.
Old Sep 04, 2009, 09:58 AM
Coy, peruser of worlds
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,884 Posts
ttuzun -

FWIW - If you're deciding to make an exit guide for the control rod, a good source I've found for the tubing would be that from an old spray dispenser like a household cleaner product, the tube that protrudes down into the bottle. It's about 1/8" inside diameter and a slippery material.

Good luck.
Old Sep 08, 2009, 01:57 AM
Joined Aug 2009
97 Posts
Covering even only half (maybe less) of the push rods with carbon fibre tubing (5mm out, 3mm inside diameter) worked wonders. now i have no bending and full control.

I realized one of the main wing screws (i fixed the other already) was lose because of the crash so i fixed that. I moved it around my parking lot on the ground and everything seemed fine. I couldnt lift it up because i didnt have enough space and i was in a hurry. I wont be able to try it for sometime. I am really excited though.

Thanks for the help