HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 02, 2009, 01:16 PM
-_-
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Sep 2005
828 Posts
Discussion
WWF ad just in time for 9-11

Just in time for the anniversary of 9/11 The copy reads: "The tsunami killed 100 times more people than 9/11. The planet is brutally powerful. Respect it. Preserve it."

Unbelievable
E-MO is offline Find More Posts by E-MO
Old Sep 02, 2009, 01:19 PM
I got too many hobbies!
United States, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined May 2009
51 Posts
That's pathetic.
BRETT65 is offline Find More Posts by BRETT65
Old Sep 02, 2009, 01:23 PM
It's 5 O'clock Somewhere
Dayton, OH
Joined Feb 2006
417 Posts
That is just sad. I can't believe someone would thing that was okay.
RumRunner_1492 is offline Find More Posts by RumRunner_1492
Old Sep 02, 2009, 01:27 PM
St. Boondock
Joined Aug 2008
731 Posts
So is a tsunami something that can be prevented?? I don't think all the respect in the world will help.

World Wide FREAKS.
FL Knifemaker is offline Find More Posts by FL Knifemaker
Old Sep 02, 2009, 01:37 PM
Love & a Molotov cocktail
on a boat on the river cam
Joined Jan 2005
596 Posts
What it says is true, nature is way more powerful than anything we can do and we should respect it. But and its a big but. Using an event like 9.11 to make that point is counter productive.
That is an event too recent in peoples memory, why the ad agency responsible thought it was a good idea I can't imagine. It will alienate more than it will appeal to.
It actually plays into the hands of those who think or want people to think, that conservation is anti people.
Right message, very, very badly put.
Punkie is offline Find More Posts by Punkie
Old Sep 02, 2009, 01:55 PM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,473 Posts
Whichever moron thought that campaign up needs to have their behind booted into the middle of next week. Unbelievably crass.
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Sep 02, 2009, 01:59 PM
Don't look at me like that....
United States, AR, McDougal
Joined Aug 2005
2,784 Posts
I thought this was going to be a thread about Jerry The King Lawler. I saw him wrestle when he was working out of Memphis. Realy great down to Earth guy. Talked to everybody after the shows. Loved animals.
62pilot is offline Find More Posts by 62pilot
Last edited by 62pilot; Sep 02, 2009 at 02:05 PM.
Old Sep 02, 2009, 02:03 PM
St. Boondock
Joined Aug 2008
731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leccyflyer
Whichever moron thought that campaign up needs to have their behind booted into the middle of next week. Unbelievably crass.
They will try to justify it by saying it needs to be shocking to draw the proper attention to their cause
FL Knifemaker is offline Find More Posts by FL Knifemaker
Old Sep 02, 2009, 02:18 PM
-_-
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Sep 2005
828 Posts
The founding of WWF

WWF World Wide Fund For Nature (formerly World Wildlife Fund)
In 1986, it changed its name to World Wide Fund For Nature (except in the US and Canada), to better represent the spread of its work. It was founded on September 11, 1961 by, among others, the biologist Sir Julian Huxley, Prince Bernhard of the Netherlands, Max Nicholson, and the naturalist and painter Sir Peter Scott who designed the original black and white panda logo. It is one of the world's largest environmental organizations, with a network of offices in nearly 60 countries and a secretariat in Gland, Switzerland.
E-MO is offline Find More Posts by E-MO
Old Sep 02, 2009, 02:18 PM
Suspended Account
Right here in the middle of the fly over zone
Joined Aug 2009
206 Posts
Now that it has been realized that nature is way more powerful than anything we can do
wonder how long before thats forgotten.

The add is a good sign they are grasping at straws in an attempt to use fear for the purpose of power, control, funding of a non truth.

If WWF had something real they would use it.
WildManWillie is offline Find More Posts by WildManWillie
Old Sep 02, 2009, 02:20 PM
Joined Aug 2005
2,674 Posts
In the religion of environmentalism, the end justifies the means.

There used to be a culture of caring for the environment based on actual science, Ecology. It's proponents aren't nearly as entertaining as the environmentalists though and as such make for poor television programing.
DT56 is offline Find More Posts by DT56
Old Sep 02, 2009, 02:35 PM
Targeted and... FIRING !
United States, MI, Eastpointe
Joined Aug 2007
670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62pilot
I thought this was going to be a thread about Jerry The King Lawler. I saw him wrestle when he was working out of Memphis. Realy great down to Earth guy. Talked to everybody after the shows. Loved animals.
The King..... wildlife......

PUPPIES !!!!!!!
D B Cooper is offline Find More Posts by D B Cooper
Old Sep 02, 2009, 02:38 PM
Suspended Account
Right here in the middle of the fly over zone
Joined Aug 2009
206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT56
In the religion of environmentalism, the end justifies the means.

There used to be a culture of caring for the environment based on actual science, Ecology. It's proponents aren't nearly as entertaining as the environmentalists though and as such make for poor television programing.
Ah yes
Entertainment for the masses.
A necessary element for control.
WildManWillie is offline Find More Posts by WildManWillie
Old Sep 02, 2009, 02:40 PM
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined May 2008
140 Posts
If you apply actual logic to the message rather than reacting it gets even more odd.

"The tsunami killed 100 times more people than 9/11. The planet is brutally powerful. Respect it. Preserve it."

Doesn't that statement logically mean that we should also be respecting and preserving terrorists that carry out 9/11 like attacks?
saltyzoo is offline Find More Posts by saltyzoo
Old Sep 02, 2009, 02:48 PM
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Sep 2000
794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltyzoo
If you apply actual logic to the message rather than reacting it gets even more odd.

"The tsunami killed 100 times more people than 9/11. The planet is brutally powerful. Respect it. Preserve it."

Doesn't that statement logically mean that we should also be respecting and preserving terrorists that carry out 9/11 like attacks?

No Why would you promote that?

Jim
me11owman is offline Find More Posts by me11owman