HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 02, 2009, 01:38 PM
MB-Commander
Joined Feb 2008
2,478 Posts
Discussion
The MB-6C/UAV project.

Hi all,
Last night the most important part of UAV project went in: A fully operational video/audio downlink. I've been waiting for a while to decide what camera and microphone to use but last week I finally took the plunge and got these.
The compact and high performance camera is housed inside the Laser/FLIR turret and a high gain microphone has also been added. All the remaining helicopter mechanics will be reassembled later today and hopefully the first live images coming from inside the MB-6C/UAV will be recorded tonight.

**UPDATE**
Here are the latest pictures taken during daylight with everything fully assembled.

Front quarter view...

Camera close-up.

I took these pics last night with the phone with the heli just held by weights and scotch tape to give me an idea of how is going to look, so better pictures will be coming in later today when its all tightened down with nuts and bolts rather than scotch tape and paper weights.

A closer view of the camera turret.

In this last picture you can see the microphone on the center of the canopy's nose.

Cheers.

MB.
Minibichus is offline Find More Posts by Minibichus
Last edited by Minibichus; Sep 07, 2009 at 02:12 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2009, 06:22 PM
Joined Aug 2006
554 Posts
Yeah, You have the nicest 450 500 dude!

What freq are you running you FPV gear on? You prob know this but don't run 2.4ghz with 2.4ghz radio!

What camera did you end up going with? I have spent a lot of time researching cams/downlinks for Aerial Photography. I went with a KX191 for starters, ALWAYS use a CCD cam as the vibes wont mess the video up.

Good Luck Can't wait for the vid!
ben1101 is offline Find More Posts by ben1101
Old Sep 02, 2009, 08:02 PM
Redjestird Youser
Joined Jan 2009
3,878 Posts
Now that is really cool!
SidewaysLS4 is offline Find More Posts by SidewaysLS4
Old Sep 02, 2009, 08:52 PM
MB-Commander
Joined Feb 2008
2,478 Posts
Thanks man, encouragement is always welcome.

This is the camera I am using:

https://www.bandjinvestigations.com/...roducts_id=103

I went for a B/W night vision camera as I plan on flying this thing at night.
As for lens, it came with a F3.6mm which is not very good. I purchased an additional F2.5mm with 130 degree FOV but I am 100% happy it either b/c the f aperture isn't very fast, probably more in the f 2.0 aperture. I'll probably look for a better lens once I get the thing flying in the air.

As for video link I am using the 900 MHz TX with 500mW power with a 2dB gain on-board antenna with a 9dB gain stationary antenna on the RX. This equipment can be purchased at www.rangevideo.com

For microphone I am using one of those inexpensive adjustable spy-stuff microphones with a small dial for gain. Its like 3 grams.

MB.
Old Sep 03, 2009, 03:36 AM
MB-Commander
Joined Feb 2008
2,478 Posts
Video

Here it is. The UAV video. I don't have a VCR so I recorded it from the TV with the camera. Quality is perhaps not as good as if it would've been recorded directly but its pretty good as is IMO.

I was mainly testing the helicopter in this video, just making sure it was flying like before the tear down. Didn't want surprises if I took my eyes off to fly from the camera.

MB-6C/UAV (4 min 1 sec)

Enjoy!

MB.
Old Sep 03, 2009, 04:24 AM
Joined Aug 2006
554 Posts
Very smooth, very good footage, that camera can really see in the dark, you should turn off the spots next time!

Ben
Old Sep 03, 2009, 10:27 AM
MB-Commander
Joined Feb 2008
2,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben1101
Very smooth, very good footage, that camera can really see in the dark, you should turn off the spots next time!

Ben
Thanks!

I agree, the spots really blind the camera but I needed them to actually fly it.
I'll need to get familiar with how relates what I see and to what it actually is happening. Even with a 130 degree FOV lens it is a bit confusing.

MB.
Old Sep 07, 2009, 02:23 PM
MB-Commander
Joined Feb 2008
2,478 Posts
Added some pics and I did some tweaks over the weekend to it. Finally regained my pre-UAV flight endurance, even with those extra 100 grams worth of video junk the MB-6C/UAV still flies for 16+ minutes...

Cheers.

MB.
Old Sep 08, 2009, 01:36 AM
MB-Commander
Joined Feb 2008
2,478 Posts
MB-6C/UAV Flight performance

The MB-6 was originally built to perform, and here is a video to showcase its flight performance. This video was filmed at the TORCHS field here at Orlando.

MB-6C/UAV Hughes 500MD TOW Defender (5 min 8 sec)

Enjoy.

MB.
Old Sep 08, 2009, 08:12 AM
heli addict
Ohio
Joined Nov 2003
3,675 Posts
Very nice! I really like what you have done.
humveeflyer is offline Find More Posts by humveeflyer
Old Sep 08, 2009, 08:28 PM
Redjestird Youser
Joined Jan 2009
3,878 Posts
That thing looks great, nice weathering job! Camera in the sight pod, kind of true to form also. Did you see those YouTube videos of that French guy flying into town and recording the whole thing? Pretty neat stuff!
Old Sep 08, 2009, 10:02 PM
Joined Aug 2006
554 Posts
Sideways,

That post clearly calls for a link!
Old Sep 08, 2009, 11:01 PM
Redjestird Youser
Joined Jan 2009
3,878 Posts
Check out this guy's videos...

http://www.youtube.com/user/serveurperso

Amazing how he does this with a T250...

FPV heli T-Rex 250 long range house zone low pass ! (6 min 43 sec)
Old Sep 08, 2009, 11:23 PM
Bush Pilots Bounce Higher
USA, IL, Champaign
Joined Dec 2006
4,309 Posts
HOW in the heck did he do that ?
Spidious is offline Find More Posts by Spidious
Old Sep 08, 2009, 11:58 PM
MB-Commander
Joined Feb 2008
2,478 Posts
I didn't saw that video but it looks great, thats the kind of stuff that I want to be doing but not yet, I need to keep flying the heli line-of-sight until I feel comfortable enough letting it go further away. At the end of the day, we're talking about an inexpensive 250 vs. a very expensive and elaborate 450 scale machine...

Well, as to how he did it while I was searching for a camera for mine I found that are quite a few ccd cameras that weight close to nothing. As for range I'd think that 2.4ghz radios should get about 1 mile easy, and with some mods like a SMA connector or a 2.4ghz wifi booster it will reach even further...

Cheers.

MB.