HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 02, 2009, 10:13 AM
Plymouth, Minnesota
Joined Jun 2008
55 Posts
Trader Rating: 0
Discussion
PayPal holds money 21 days until you give positive feedback on ebay

I just had this happen last night..... I think it stinks big time!! I gave positive feedback to something that hasn't been shipped to me yet.

Who the hell made this rule up ????? I gave the feedback but hope I have a seller I can trust.... Just stupid if you ask me.

I'll get a box of rocks from the Postal service now.

Anyone else have this happen to them as a buyer or seller????
Wenty is offline Find More Posts by Wenty
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2009, 10:44 AM
ultra micro addict
USA, OH, West Union
Joined Jun 2008
203 Posts
Trader Rating: 112
that is new to me, been on feebay before the corpoRATion ran it into the ground and been using feepal since it was X.com and feebay wanted it gone in the worst way.

we do file a feepal dispute the instant something seems wrong to prevent loss from feepal oddities

the word according to feebay:
http://reviews.ebay.com/PayPal-2008-...00000005528443
justplainold is offline Find More Posts by justplainold
Old Sep 02, 2009, 10:51 AM
Plymouth, Minnesota
Joined Jun 2008
55 Posts
Here's what eBay has posted on their site.

27. Which sellers will have their payments held?
In a small percentage of cases where it has been determined the risk of dissatisfied buyers is higher, PayPal may delay release of the payment funds to the seller until the buyer has left a positive feedback or 21 days have passed without a dispute, claim, chargeback or reversal filed on that transaction.

To determine if a transaction may have a higher risk of dissatisfied buyers, eBay reports to PayPal a number of factors, including but not limited to:

* Seller's % Positive Feedback in the last 30 days
* Seller's Detailed Seller Ratings in the last 30 days
* Final price for the item
* Shipping & handling fee
* Seller's tenure as an eBay member
* Seller's total number of Feedback

28. How will I know that my payment is being held
Payments that are held will be shown as "pending" in your PayPal balance. PayPal will send an email notifying you when the hold is released. PayPal Money Market Fund customers will continue to receive dividends on amounts that are being held in your account.
29. When will PayPal release the eBay item hold?
PayPal will release the hold when the earliest of the following occurs:

* the buyer leaves positive feedback,
* 3 days after confirmed item delivery* or
* 21 days without a dispute, claim, chargeback, or reversal filed on that transaction.

PayPal can confirm delivery. PayPal will confirm delivery if you use USPS, UPS, or FedEx to ship the item and (i) use PayPal shipping labels, or (ii) upload tracking information to PayPal via the transaction details page. This applies to US domestic transactions only.
30. What can I do to avoid having eBay item holds?
Your payments WILL BE NOT HELD if you meet all the following requirements:

* eBay Tenure: Greater than 6-months
* Total Feedback score: More than 100
* Dissatisfied Buyers %: Less than 5%

Or if you meet all the following requirements:

* Detailed Seller Rating: Greater than 4.5
* Total Detailed Seller Ratings Received: More than 20 in the last 12-months

31. How can I minimize the chances of having my payments held?

* Improve your DSR feedback ratings, and
* Implement best practices to reduce buyer disputes, claims and chargebacks. If they do occur, resolve them quickly and to your buyer's satisfaction.

32. Why is the payment being held for up to 21 days?
eBay and PayPal are working together to help increase buyer satisfaction which, in turn, can mean more sales for you. We have found that after 21 days the chance of a buyer dispute or claim significantly decreases.
33. Will my payments be held if I have excellent buyer satisfaction, but sell in risky categories?
If you sell in the categories of gift certificates, video games, cell phones, computers or consumer electronics, your listings for those items must offer either PayPal or merchant credit card as an accepted form of payment. However, your payments WILL BE NOT HELD if you meet all the following measures:

* eBay Tenure: Greater than 6-months
* Total Feedback score: More than 100
* Dissatisfied Buyers %: Less than 5%
* Detailed Seller Rating: Greater than 4.5
* Total Detailed Seller Ratings Received: More than 20 in the last 12-months

34. What should I do if a payment is subject to an eBay item hold?
PayPal will release the hold when the earliest of the following occurs:

* the buyer leaves positive feedback
* 3 days after confirmed item delivery*
* 21 days without a dispute, claim, chargeback or reversal filed on that transaction.

Once the buyer has paid for the item, ship it. Funds are released as soon as a buyer leaves positive feedback. The faster you get their purchase to the buyer, the faster they can leave you feedback.

*Funds are also released within 3 days of confirmed item delivery. PayPal can confirm delivery. PayPal will confirm delivery if you use USPS, UPS, or FedEx to ship the item and (i) use PayPal shipping labels, or (ii) upload tracking information to PayPal via the transaction details page. This applies to US domestic transactions only. So fast shipping helps you here too.
Old Sep 02, 2009, 11:03 AM
-insert witty saying here-
United States, CT, Killingworth
Joined Dec 2005
1,657 Posts
Trader Rating: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wenty
I just had this happen last night..... I think it stinks big time!! I gave positive feedback to something that hasn't been shipped to me yet.

Who the hell made this rule up ????? I gave the feedback but hope I have a seller I can trust.... Just stupid if you ask me.

You just defeated the purpose of the whole system, which is to ensure that you receive your items and are satisfied. If a seller does not have enough money to pay for shipping out of pocket, I'd be more than a little concerned.
Hemikiller is online now Find More Posts by Hemikiller
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 02, 2009, 11:24 AM
smartsville, ca
Joined Apr 2008
147 Posts
Trader Rating: 28
Only once, and I can understand as it was a 2300.00 item. Sent the item priority and had my my money in 3 days. I do not have this problem anymore as I have over 1,000 positives. Is this sellars trading score that bad or low.As Hemi said you defeated the whole purpose of these holds
Quote:

mustang mark is offline Find More Posts by mustang mark
Old Sep 02, 2009, 11:27 AM
Often wrong ("wife")
Deep in the South
Joined Sep 2003
2,728 Posts
Trader Rating: 81
I agree that you defeated the system but I'm not sure what else can be done. If I understand right the seller is suppose to ship the item without having payment yet. When you get it you then leave feedback and he gets his money (or he gets it after 21 days). It wasn't held I think because of you but because of him.

With that said I wouldn't ship something without payment ... but then again I have enough sales that I'd get payment so it is moot for me soooooo.......

Hope it turns out ok for ya.

UPdate: Read the requirements again and actually if I sell something right now I may not qualify and the payment could be held given I don't meet all the requirements in either groups (have not been very active on the bay in the past 12 months).
johnbyrne is offline Find More Posts by johnbyrne
Old Sep 02, 2009, 11:45 AM
Plymouth, Minnesota
Joined Jun 2008
55 Posts
Well the seller made it sound like he wasn't going to ship it until he got his money.

I figure I'd take the risk. He had good feedback from people so I guess I might have a good chance of getting the item..... me hopes.

Maybe he feels that when I get the package I'd pull the money from him and screw him over.
Old Sep 02, 2009, 11:51 AM
Planes, Guitars and Cigars
Joined May 2002
3,171 Posts
Trader Rating: 39
So if I'm an ebayer with lots of problems and low feedback - this will forces buyers to leave me positive feedback even before I ship. Genius.
Steve_A_Reno is offline Find More Posts by Steve_A_Reno
Old Sep 02, 2009, 12:53 PM
Let slip the dogs of war!
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Jun 2005
1,675 Posts
Trader Rating: 32
Quote:
Well the seller made it sound like he wasn't going to ship it until he got his money.

I figure I'd take the risk. He had good feedback from people so I guess I might have a good chance of getting the item..... me hopes.

Maybe he feels that when I get the package I'd pull the money from him and screw him over.
He may have pulled a fast one on you. All you needed to do is contact ebay and tell them "the buyer won't ship until I leave him positive feedback".
Park_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Park_Flyer
Old Sep 02, 2009, 01:30 PM
Often wrong ("wife")
Deep in the South
Joined Sep 2003
2,728 Posts
I bet the buyer can not pull the money back after he ships it.

This is yet another reason why I don't use ebay. Too many strange rules and potential problems on bleedbay.
Old Sep 02, 2009, 01:38 PM
-insert witty saying here-
United States, CT, Killingworth
Joined Dec 2005
1,657 Posts
Trader Rating: 225
In the last year, I've had one payment held, and that was when I started a new eBay account with zero feedback.

This policy is to protect the buyer, it's not perfect, but it's better than nothing. If the seller is holding your item hostage, then I would contact Paypal immediately.
Hemikiller is online now Find More Posts by Hemikiller
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 02, 2009, 01:46 PM
NW Florida
Joined Mar 2008
339 Posts
Trader Rating: 18
QUOTE=Wenty]Well the seller made it sound like he wasn't going to ship it until he got his money.

Maybe he feels that when I get the package I'd pull the money from him and screw him over.[/QUOTE]

Wenty said the seller would not ship before payment(i wouldn't either) you don't have to leave feedback when you make payment.
haroldpo6 is offline Find More Posts by haroldpo6
Old Sep 02, 2009, 01:51 PM
ultra micro addict
USA, OH, West Union
Joined Jun 2008
203 Posts
Trader Rating: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_A_Reno
So if I'm an ebayer with lots of problems and low feedback - this will forces buyers to leave me positive feedback even before I ship. Genius.
aye yep, never mind those ice bergs, full steam ahead!
justplainold is offline Find More Posts by justplainold
Old Sep 02, 2009, 02:53 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,682 Posts
Trader Rating: 28
Anyone who has the restriction is not someone that I want to deal with!
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old Sep 02, 2009, 03:43 PM
Often wrong ("wife")
Deep in the South
Joined Sep 2003
2,728 Posts
what concerns me (only a little bit though) is that technically I would be held because I have not been very active on ebay in the past 12 months even though I have I think 72 transactions and 100%.

The policy is better than nothing I agree but I wonder if they are being consistent with enforcement.