HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 02, 2009, 09:01 AM
Joined Feb 2009
43 Posts
Discussion
MCX then 4#3b BL then FMR. What to get next

I own a blade MCX and just purchased a Blade FMR. I also own a 4#3b BL.
My next heli will be a CP heli. Iím considering a Blade 400 because from what Iíve read the indoor CP helis leave a lot to be desired much in the way the 4#3b does.
I found the MCX too easy, boring actually. I then got the 4#3b BL and can now hover and do basic circuits but I find the heli to be very finicky. It can be easy if everything is perfect but the smallest problem with the machine and it takes a good pilot to control it IMO. I just got the MSR and have run a couple batteries. Its more fun than the MCX but real easy compared to the 4#3. It seems quick but I already can tell that it is nowhere near the challenge of the 4#3B.

Of the three helis I already have do any of them require roughly the same skill level to fly (basic flying not 3D) as the Blade 400. I would like a machine that requires skill but not so much skill that basic hovering can be an experience in parts replacement for the first month. This was my experience with the 4#3b. Not so bad now that i can fly it but it cost me to get there. The jump from the MCX to the 4#3b was too much. Wish I had the FMR prior to the 4#3b.
What would you recommend I get for my first CP heli.

Thanks
energeezer is offline Find More Posts by energeezer
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2009, 10:42 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,432 Posts
What's an FMR?
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Sep 02, 2009, 11:21 AM
aka Scott
Central FL
Joined Jul 2009
327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14
What's an FMR?
I was thinking possible dyslexia, but not even close... FMR - - - MSR

I'm thinking MSR, but where the F came from is puzzling...

In answer to your question though, it all depends on where you will be flying, and what kind of LHS support you may have for any given brand/model. If your looking for an outside CP, I'd research the threads here, great info, and in most cases too much, so you will have to pick a brain or two to narrow down your personal taste.

If your looking for an inside CP (Which I doubt since your leaning toward a Blade 400) There is very little available that wont give you grief like the 4#3B did, but some have had great luck with their 4G3's and the upcoming 4G6 looks even better... But still a learning curve, but I find the 4G3 I own to fly a bit better than the 4#3B I own most times, because as you said unless the setup is perfect your in for a handfull. (Usually my 4G3 is more consistent when flying regardless of minor setup quirks)

Not too helpful I know, but I'm sure you will get better responses to point your way!

-Scott
Stomp560 is online now Find More Posts by Stomp560
Old Sep 02, 2009, 02:36 PM
Joined Feb 2009
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stomp560
I was thinking possible dyslexia, but not even close... FMR - - - MSR

I'm thinking MSR, but where the F came from is puzzling...

-Scott
yes MSR
Sorry for the typo. I deal with FMR at my job LOL.
energeezer is offline Find More Posts by energeezer
Old Sep 02, 2009, 03:59 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,432 Posts
With regard to your original question, if you learn to fly the 4#3B reasonably well, a Blade 400 will seem slow responding; once you get past the "pucker factor". I'll guess that will take less than a week and 1 crash. But, learning to fly a 4#3B will be the hard part. I gave up after 2 months and about 10 motors. I could fly it, but there was no way I'd ever be good at it. Hobbies are supposed to be fun and that wasn't.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14