HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Lithonion, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 02, 2009, 12:54 AM
Have you seen my nut?
Omaha, Nebraska
Joined Mar 2006
2,417 Posts
Gallery
Starmax 90mm F-18

This is the Starmax 90mm F-18. It has been covered in Wowplanes Liquid Sheeting to give it a hard shell. Then complete repaint with Testors model masters paint with two coats of dull coat. Pilot is a RCLanders pilot.

Power system is Turnigy 100amp ESC, Turnigy 15amp UBEC, RCLanders 90mm fan with Medusa 1600kv motor running on Turnigy 5000mAh 6s packs.
Lithonion is offline Find More Posts by Lithonion
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2009, 09:35 AM
More jets than a carburetor
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Sep 2008
2,815 Posts
Hi there, Its Mr know it all again

Just a thought, the turnigy ESCs have some sort of custom timing algorithm. I found they don't work too well with many motors. For high KV motors, it is hard to tell what goins on, but for lowe KV motors you can tell they are "hitting". Its like a car misfiring.

NOt good for your motors. No idea how it is working with the medusa, but I wouldn't trust it. Besides, why put a $100+ motor on a $20 ESC?

I highly recommend e-flite 60A pro. at $80 they aren't a bargain but they last. Interesting, the e-flite esc does not work with the turnigy motors either.

Just a thought!

Are you going to fly out at the motor plex?
skydve76 is offline Find More Posts by skydve76
Old Mar 01, 2010, 02:48 AM
Have you seen my nut?
Omaha, Nebraska
Joined Mar 2006
2,417 Posts
Wow, September post. How did I miss that. Well, the turnigy ESC was over 100 bucks. And I wouldn't put a 60 amp ESC on a motor that is going to pull over 80 with my fan. And E-Flite is over rated. Its still made in China and I have had E-Flite stuff fail. I have never ever had a Turnigy ESC fail me and they can handle the RPM needed for EDF use. I have been using Turnigy for over 4 years now and I push alot of amps through them.

I will be flying at the motor plex any chance I get. Its nice to fly out there. Nothing like a 1/2 mile runway. If you miss that, pack up and go home.
Old Mar 01, 2010, 01:40 PM
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Sep 2008
2,815 Posts
I was getting out of the hobby, but this winter had me bored so I fixed up my mig after that crash out at the plex. Its amazing what some spackle, fiberglass and epoxy resin can do! Looks better than new now.

I made some new addtions:

After burnerlights (rclander)
90mm 360 degree thrust vectoring nozzles (rclander)!

I need to get out there again for retribution flight! Any ideas on the specifics when they allow flying? With all the changes, I'll probably just crash again LOL.

BTW, I just bought a 75 Amp castle "ICE" esc. I haven't tried it yet, but it looks to be built really well. You can use a programming link to program it, and It will log flight data such as max amps etc.. This winter forced me to buy the new hangar 9 blue nose mustang. So much for getting out of the hobby damnit.
Old Mar 02, 2010, 01:31 PM
Have you seen my nut?
Omaha, Nebraska
Joined Mar 2006
2,417 Posts
Love to see those afterburner lights. I have been toying with the idea of using them but if I get this F-18 out after my new gear is intalled, it will be flight 6 on it. So part of me says, oh so waste of 30 bucks....lol Sucky thing about this area, we have 100 clubs and not one that is EDF or small wheel friendly.

And everyone needs a hobby. Just some of us don't know when we have enough to fly.
Old Mar 02, 2010, 02:41 PM
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Sep 2008
2,815 Posts
I'm scared of the thrust vectoring....

I converted my mig to a tail dragger, that is it drags its butt on the bottom of the intakes,a dn uses the front gear to steer. Interestingly it works great on grass.

How do you know when they allow flying out at the raceway? I thought it was a one time thing.
Old May 18, 2010, 11:55 PM
Have you seen my nut?
Omaha, Nebraska
Joined Mar 2006
2,417 Posts
Ya, I think they where hoping that the raceway would have pulled in all kinds of model aviators so they could hit them up for gate fees. Problem is that we have to fly the night the drag races are going on. Thats not that bad, just the pounding head ache after you hear all the drags.
Old May 19, 2010, 01:05 AM
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Sep 2008
2,815 Posts
My buddy and I are going to join the club. We want to come fly saturday mornings.