Originally Posted by darylm44 View Post
Are you running 3s batteries?
Yes.
Mike Tully is offline Find More Posts by Mike Tully
Old Jul 04, 2010, 09:36 AM
United States, AK, Wasilla
Joined Feb 2007
106 Posts
I am waiting for a 4mm prop adapter from HeadsupRC. Seems like mine got bent when the motor went flying across the garage. I had hoped to try this float plane again this weekend but I guess I will have to wait.
darylm44 is offline Find More Posts by darylm44
Old Jul 07, 2010, 08:56 PM
Methuen, MA
Joined Sep 2002
869 Posts
Takeoffs from water with the modified floats still leave a lot to be desired. Maybe I didn't extend the step far enough, or maybe the V bottom design of the floats is too draggy, but this thing is still a pig to get off the water. In the end I had to prop up to an APC 12 x 6e (with three cells) and use 30 degrees of flaps to get it unstuck after a long takeoff run. Note the squirrely take off on the attached video. I don't know what else to try other than building some flat bottomed floats. I'll leave it at the lake for the rest of the year, as I can get it off the water reliably, if not gracefully, as-is. Flying it is fine, but touch and goes on a half depleted pack are near impossible. Too much water drag. Flying qualities are fine with the floats. As last weekend went on I got a bit bored with the scale flying as in this video. By Saturday night I was doing Cuban 8s, stall turns and 300 foot diameter loops, which got hoots, hollers and boat horn blasts from the parties around the lake.

edomodel cessna 185 (3 min 48 sec)
Old Jul 08, 2010, 04:01 PM
It's Good to be Retired!
Oxford, MI
Joined Feb 2007
690 Posts
Mike,

Where did you purchase your model from?

Jordon
Jordonr is offline Find More Posts by Jordonr
Old Jul 08, 2010, 06:27 PM
Methuen, MA
Joined Sep 2002
869 Posts
Jordon,

It was given to me by someone who is in the RC publishing business.
Old Jul 09, 2010, 02:46 PM
It's Good to be Retired!
Oxford, MI
Joined Feb 2007
690 Posts
Well that's no good (well good for you but not so good for me)!

I'm lookimng for a dealer in the US wo sells these.

Thanks, Jordon
Old Jul 09, 2010, 03:07 PM
Methuen, MA
Joined Sep 2002
869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordonr View Post
Well that's no good (well good for you but not so good for me)!

I'm lookimng for a dealer in the US wo sells these.

Thanks, Jordon
It is such a turkey that it has probably been discontinued.
Old Jul 09, 2010, 07:13 PM
It's Good to be Retired!
Oxford, MI
Joined Feb 2007
690 Posts
Ahhh, good to know!

Jordon
Old Jul 09, 2010, 11:37 PM
United States, MN, Hastings
Joined May 2009
51 Posts
Parkflyers.com sells the 182 version.

Link-
http://www.parkflyers.com/Cessna_Lar..._p/4303lar.htm
AndyBloom is offline Find More Posts by AndyBloom
Old Jul 10, 2010, 05:58 AM
It's Good to be Retired!
Oxford, MI
Joined Feb 2007
690 Posts
Thank you!

Jordon
Old Jul 10, 2010, 06:29 AM
It's Good to be Retired!
Oxford, MI
Joined Feb 2007
690 Posts
I finally read the entire thread and I guess the plane is just not worth the effort. I too thought is was molded out of EPP (or some derivative) and that it might be a good alternative to the Multiplex Fun Cub, but now that I read that it is only EPS AND all the problems everyone is having, why bother.

I guess I will put in my order for a Multiplex Fun Cub and wait my turn for it to be shipped.

Thanks guys for the useful information from this thread. I am sorry to read about all your problems you have had with this model but you did help this potential buyer from making the same mistake – Thanks!

Jordon
Old Aug 09, 2010, 08:05 PM
USA, VT, Newport
Joined Jul 2010
27 Posts
Just finished maiden flight with one of these from toysonics. It does now have wood motor mount, and metal strut attachments. Those look good. Balanced at 64 cm with the battery all the way to the rear and a small wt on the tail.
Plane flew great, broke one pushrod clevis, and one pushrod, need to replace them all. Going to try 11X5.5 blade with a 3s battery. Have not tried floats yet, waiting for an extra bracket so I don't have to diassemble the wheels. E-domodel radio seemed OK, but no manual, no idea how to set up as trainer, though it has a trainer port.
green_mtn_boy is offline Find More Posts by green_mtn_boy
Old Aug 22, 2010, 09:42 AM
Switzerland-Europe
Joined Apr 2007
426 Posts
take off

Hi Mike, hi guys,
I have bought my EDO 182 almost 2 years ago, after seeing the original linkages and reading some reports on youtube I left it sleeping in the box, I was very disappointed.
I have read all this thread now and I decided to make all the mods on the critical points. I live near a lake and the weather is nice here.

I flyed with an APC 11x5.5, and a 3s 3200 30C, thrust was fine. Take off was quite easy also without flaps, but the water on the lake was not flat at all, I'm asking me if this was the only reason for my short take off.???
The floats are very light but cheap builded, one of the critical points is the attachment to the water rudder, I noticed water coming inside .

Has someone developped new stuffs for this problematic cessna?
panamarenko is offline Find More Posts by panamarenko
Old Sep 01, 2010, 07:44 AM
USA, VT, Newport
Joined Jul 2010
27 Posts
follow up on my cessna 185

I've had a few flights with this plane. We fly on a grass strip and I'm having problems keeping the landing gear straight, both front and rear. Plane is flying with a 2 bladed prop and 3s battery. Had to replace the the esc, Toysonics did that for free. As it is configured, the plane hops around if the throttle is any more than 50%. Flys very nice at lower speeds. Not the best for flying in wind. Watch out for those small pushrod connectors. They easily break. I've replaced most of them, starting with the more critical control surfaces. For me the plane is hard to see, can anyone suggest how I might improve visibility? Can this foam be painted?
Len
green_mtn_boy is offline Find More Posts by green_mtn_boy