HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 07, 2010, 11:38 PM
USA, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Nov 2009
812 Posts
I'd guess that it isn't the foam used, it is the components and engineering.
benski is offline Find More Posts by benski
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 06, 2010, 08:01 AM
Joined Jul 2006
2 Posts
Some updates about this aircraft ?
399Dan is offline Find More Posts by 399Dan
Old Jun 07, 2010, 01:58 AM
USA, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Nov 2009
812 Posts
The way this thread died, I'd guess the guys ran out of patience. Reading between the lines, I think I'll go get a Multiplex Mentor. If you are looking for a good first plane that flies on floats, I've had good luck with the Hobbyzone Super Cub. The floats work, and they're only another $25.00.
benski is offline Find More Posts by benski
Old Jun 08, 2010, 09:28 AM
United States, MN, Hastings
Joined May 2009
51 Posts
I maidened mine yesterday. I loved flying it, very docile and a relaxing plane to fly. Plenty of power, I ditched the 3 blade prop for a 2 blade can't remember exactly what size. The main wheel covers suck they rotate very easy, but no big deal. I don't intend to fly off water and I don't have a set of floats for it, but off of land I thought it was a great plane.
AndyBloom is offline Find More Posts by AndyBloom
Old Jun 09, 2010, 01:29 PM
revving and pulling too hard
New Zealand's Riviera
Joined Jun 2008
319 Posts
This is a great EPO 185

Super flying Models Cessna 185

http://mth.com.tw/en/products/?method=detail&aid=296

Wing Span:1410mm
Wing Area: 29.5 sq.dm
Length: 1020mm
Weight: 900-1000g
Motor and ESC : 1000kv, 30/40A ( not included )
Battery : 11.1v 2200mah ( not included )

Check out my blog for more pics and info
kiwilama is offline Find More Posts by kiwilama
Old Jun 11, 2010, 07:03 PM
Culver City, Ca
Joined Mar 2009
102 Posts
kiwilama:
I like, I like!!! How does one get to buy one?? Where are they for sale, and how much?? It looks really clean and sleek. How does it fly??

Fox7
Fox7 is offline Find More Posts by Fox7
Old Jun 12, 2010, 01:34 PM
revving and pulling too hard
New Zealand's Riviera
Joined Jun 2008
319 Posts
I got mine from TOPRC in Auckland NZ http://www.toprcmodel.co.nz/
They sold out of the first shipment in less than a week but will have more in July
They sold for $99 NZ
It flies very well - would make a great second plane or first if you take it easy

More pictures and info here

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=215035
kiwilama is offline Find More Posts by kiwilama
Old Jun 26, 2010, 04:17 PM
United States, AK, Wasilla
Joined Feb 2007
106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Tully View Post
Brent,

It did need about an ounce and a half of ballast in the nose to balance at 64 mm back from the LE. That is a good place for the CG. I needed three ounces on the tips of the floats to get the CG right with the floats installed. That makes me wonder if the designer moved the floats so far forward in order to try and effect balance without adding a ton of ballast. I was encouraged enough with the excellent flight characteristics of this to go ahead and work out the issues with the floats. My guess is that I'l need to cut the step straight across, mount them about 2" rearward and hide significant lead in the tips. I'll post my results. In the meantime, I'll probably use this thing as a winter beater plane because it flies so nice.
My instructions call for the CG to be 78-84 mm behind the leading edge. When I tried to fly the plane it was obvious that the plane was very tail heavy and almost impossible to handle. I had a minor crash, just broke off one of the float tabs and the prop. My lucky day.

Can anyone verify the 64mm CG? I know that I have to move it forward just would like to know what others are doing.
darylm44 is offline Find More Posts by darylm44
Old Jun 26, 2010, 04:43 PM
Joined Jul 2006
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Tully View Post
Andy,

The 4 cell battery is a bad idea. The motor is too high kv for 4 cells. 3 cell works much better. A 2 blade 11 x 5.5e or 12 x 6 works great on three cells with this. You have already found out the supplied prop adapter is junk. The prop shaft can be cut to the proper length with a dremel and cut-off wheel.

The floats are designed wrong. They don't work as they should. The step is in the wrong spot. Too far forward. Don't use them without modification. Read the whole thread and you will see how Brent and I both had bad experiences with them. I've gotten around to starting work on the floats. Below is the before and after shot on the step extension. I'll use them for flying off snow for the winter, but water trials will have to wait for May.
Mike,

Did you finally made some tests with the new designe of your floats ?
399Dan is offline Find More Posts by 399Dan
Old Jun 26, 2010, 06:18 PM
Methuen, MA
Joined Sep 2002
870 Posts
399Dan - "Did you finally made some tests with the new designe of your floats?"

I have just finished installing the water rudder servo on the bottom of the fuse with Spiderwire pull-pull cables threaded through model ship rigging points. This should keep the water rudder servo high and dry. I'll be giving it a test from the water next weekend in northern Maine.

BTW I never had any documentation on this plane, so I arrived at the 64mm from leading edge from careful measurement and calculations. It is neutral in pitch upright and inverted at this point. You might even like it farther forward. I'm not suprised that Edomodel would come up with such an outrageously bad recommendation, as they got so many other things dead wrong.
Mike Tully is offline Find More Posts by Mike Tully
Old Jun 26, 2010, 07:50 PM
Joined Feb 2007
106 Posts
Thanks for the confirmation on the 64mm.

I fixed my floats and found the plywood block that the rudder attachés to was falling off. It appears they used some kind of contact cement to glue all the wood to the foam. While testing a 2 bladed prop the motor mount came loose from the fuse, collapsed, and came apart. The prop hit me in the arm and it took me over an hr to find the motor in the far corner of the garage. No stitches required but I do have an ugly spot on my forearm.

Have it rebuilt now and will move my CG. Hope to try it again next week.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 10:35 AM
It's Good to be Retired!
Oxford, MI
Joined Feb 2007
696 Posts
Anybody know who carries this C-185 in the US? I have not had good luck with overseas shipping of aircraft kits, parts yes, but complete aircraft, no.

Thanks
Jordonr is offline Find More Posts by Jordonr
Old Jun 28, 2010, 07:36 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2008
3,402 Posts
I didn't have a problem from China with RC CASTLE on this one.

But I think banana hobby or nitro planes has it.
BrentP is offline Find More Posts by BrentP
Old Jun 29, 2010, 11:31 AM
Joined Feb 2007
106 Posts
With the floats on it looks like I need 2oz of weight near the front of the floats to get the 64mm CG. Does this sound about right? With the floats on the plane seems to hang close to level and stable over a fairly large area.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 12:56 PM
Methuen, MA
Joined Sep 2002
870 Posts
Sounds about right.

I had balanced mine with some lead in the nose to get to 64mm CG while on wheels. I installed the floats and had to put one ounce on the tip of each to maintain the balance.

With all the extra weight I'm thinking of propping up from the 11 x 5.5e to a 12 x 6e for extra power. Will report back after this weekend's test flight off water.
Mike Tully is offline Find More Posts by Mike Tully