Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 22, 2010, 01:27 PM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,799 Posts
Anyone interested in a brand new Cessna?

Otherwise, I probably going to finish the build and fly it myself.
flyandi is online now Find More Posts by flyandi
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2010, 03:09 PM
Suspended Account
ohio
Joined Jan 2010
472 Posts
i am......pm me.....if ya still have it.....
ed1978 is offline Find More Posts by ed1978
Old Jan 28, 2010, 11:09 PM
Joined Jan 2010
1 Posts
I wish I would have seen that you had one for sale sooner. I just spent a month trying to work with Banana Hobbies to get me mine that they billed me for a month ago. I could never reach them by phone, LiveChat, email or fax! I finally got mine yesturday and I am very excited. I hope I don't crash it the first time.
surgicalshot is offline Find More Posts by surgicalshot
Old Jan 29, 2010, 10:11 AM
St. Thomas, VI
Joined May 2001
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentP View Post
I see hobby king has the 182 now for $130
One of my clubmates emailed me about this plane earlier today. We were going to pick up a couple of Mentors as floatplanes, but...

What kind of foam are these made of?
visioneer_one is offline Find More Posts by visioneer_one
Old Jan 29, 2010, 01:06 PM
Methuen, MA
Joined Sep 2002
869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by visioneer_one View Post
One of my clubmates emailed me about this plane earlier today. We were going to pick up a couple of Mentors as floatplanes, but...

What kind of foam are these made of?
The floats are EPS and are unusable as designed. I frankly don't understand how someone could read through this whole thread and still want one of these planes. They are awful. I got mine for free, so I'm not complaining about all the mods needed to make it work. Is a poorly designed and built plane a bargain if it is priced at "only" $130?

The Mentor will work right out of the box. That is why Multiplex doesn't have to keep slashing the price to get rid of them.
Mike Tully is offline Find More Posts by Mike Tully
Last edited by Mike Tully; Jan 29, 2010 at 01:27 PM.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 09:23 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2008
3,402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Tully View Post
The floats are EPS and are unusable as designed. I frankly don't understand how someone could read through this whole thread and still want one of these planes. They are awful. I got mine for free, so I'm not complaining about all the mods needed to make it work. Is a poorly designed and built plane a bargain if it is priced at "only" $130?

The Mentor will work right out of the box. That is why Multiplex doesn't have to keep slashing the price to get rid of them.
2nd that.......
BrentP is offline Find More Posts by BrentP
Old Feb 01, 2010, 02:16 PM
St. Thomas, VI
Joined May 2001
130 Posts
I had the impression that they were badly designed, but possbly worth doing a bit of work on.

Now that I know they are EPS foam I'm not going to bother, and will advise him to do the same.
visioneer_one is offline Find More Posts by visioneer_one
Old Feb 12, 2010, 09:22 PM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,799 Posts
Ok, I tried to take-off from water today- first time ever. The plane did a nice water take-off, but I had no control of the ailerons and it stalled. The plane dropped down from about 50ft (maybe higher) out of sight. Finally we found it in the reeds and it was stuck on something and it looked as if the wing broke. I made my way through the reeds- falling into the water and fighting with crazy strong reeds. I got to the plane and noticed that there was no visual damage. I broke off a tree branch and used it to push the plane out of the reeds and back into the water (time elapsed from crash to this point= 3 hours). The plane floated out into the lake and the current carried it down stream- I immediately ran to the first reed opening where I could wade into the water to get the plane. The plane was not responding to the controller and it took me a while to figure out how to manage the plane with the current. After quite a few attempts I managed to get the plane close enough to grab. I was close to giving up several times- but glad I stuck with it. Total time between crash and recovery was about 4 hours. My poor wife and 2 dogs stayed to help the entire time.

The reason I had no control was that the right aileron didn't respond and it seems that the servo failed. It's amazing that the plane survived that crash with no damage!!!

I think the next step is to get rid of the cheap electronics and put something reliable in it, but before that I need to clean the whole plane.
flyandi is online now Find More Posts by flyandi
Old Feb 27, 2010, 11:15 AM
Joined Dec 2007
1,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Tully View Post
Does that include the 182 also, or just the 185? And what if using the landing gear instead of the floats? I don't care about floats.
Brian_ is offline Find More Posts by Brian_
Old Mar 01, 2010, 02:41 AM
Caravan driver
Lanseria airport South Africa
Joined Oct 2005
408 Posts
very interesting that they modelled the Thielert diesle Cessna conversion cowl for this 185 - if you know the thielert it's not a widely known mod and isn't even available on the C-185. Interesting

wingnutzster is offline Find More Posts by wingnutzster
Old Mar 05, 2010, 03:31 PM
Joined Dec 2007
1,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
Does that include the 182 also, or just the 185? And what if using the landing gear instead of the floats? I don't care about floats.
Can anyone answer this? Is their 182 a not a good plane?
Old Mar 05, 2010, 04:24 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2008
3,402 Posts
They are basically the same model, one is a trike and one is a tail dragger. electronics and floats etc. all the same.
BrentP is offline Find More Posts by BrentP
Old Mar 05, 2010, 06:34 PM
Joined Dec 2007
1,060 Posts
Is the ST, Durafly, or J-Power any better?
Old Mar 25, 2010, 04:47 PM
Phil Hill
United States, CA, Tulare
Joined Jul 2009
13 Posts
I have this model (now in pieces). the first crash was on water with the floats. It took off without a problem, but after reaching about 20 feet in altitude it did a snap to the right and crashed into the water. It looked like radio interferance the way it just dove into the water as I believe it had good enough speed for not to stall. So I replaed the radio gear with a Specktrum 6 channel radio and a brand new 6200 receiver. This time I used the regular landing gear and asked a very experienced power flyer to test fly it just in case. He did the normal preflight and off we went. I had a very nice runout and takeoff after it flew about a hundred yards it snaped to the right just as before. That only leaves one source for the problem. I believe it is the BEC portion of the speed control, After a power demand to get airborne it just craps out and down she goes. What do you think. I bought this thing from Banna Hobby (last time i'll do that) and they say it's pilot error. I have 30 years R/C flying experience and the pilot of the last flight has about the same, but more power experience. Mine is mostly Gliders. Now I need a new fuse and I'll replace the speed control.
phil.hill is offline Find More Posts by phil.hill
Old Apr 06, 2010, 02:08 PM
Joined Dec 2007
1,060 Posts
Is the biggest problem with this plane because it's EPS?