HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 16, 2009, 06:47 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2008
3,402 Posts
Hi Andy, not sure about the battery I know some 4s 4000mah I have would be to big and heavy but yours may work out. I'm going to try a 3s 3000 and a 2 blade prop. Just about ready to make a new motor mount with ply.

My cowl was damaged (have a fix planned) but what I did was I glued the cowl on with white silicon (not the pure clear stuff) using just a few dabs around the corners. It stayed on for a few flights and even stayed on in the water crash...but was easy to remove gentle prying it with a dull blade at the seam.

Lights are cool I have LEDs in my cub and LEDs and strobes on my mirage.

Brent
BrentP is offline Find More Posts by BrentP
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2009, 07:21 PM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,793 Posts
I tested the 4S 3600 yesterday -It's pretty heavy but it might work. The CG is not moved.

I ordered some ultra bright LED's today which will go into the cowl. I got the magnets already and going to prepare the cowl. I hope it will hold the whole thing.

However, I noticed, too, that the motor shaft is wayyy to big :-)
flyandi is online now Find More Posts by flyandi
Old Dec 16, 2009, 11:13 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2008
3,402 Posts
Yeah tooooooooo long ha ha.

If I could make one recomendation on this bird it would be (as I said earlier on) to ditch the stock 3 blade prop.....your batteries and ESC will be grateful. It is inefficiant. Also as mentioned the prop adapter (on mine anyways) would not tighten up enough and the prop near came off on run up. I used an e-flite adapter I had and all was good then.

Andy you did not mention anything about floats....so if you are just to fly from wheels you should fair nicely with this bird.....it is a nice flyer off turf etc the main problems came with floats.

Make sure everything is nice and tight (horns, motor etc) and I really don't like the acrylic mount so at the least I would add some glue to it as when mine broke I could see the cross piece wasn't glued up much.

Basically the bird could be better if it wasn't slapped together...I mean you can tell no time is taken just by the decal job.

Brent
Old Dec 16, 2009, 11:27 PM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,793 Posts
Yeah - I already noticed that the prop is not the best. I will replace it with a GWS three blade that I still have.

The shaft adapter totally sucks - I mounted it really tight onto the shaft and gave about 15% power to the motor - sssssssssssswwwooosshh - the prop with shaft flew a few feet :-D

The acrylic motor mount is bizarre - never saw something like that.

I will start with flying off the field and once I am more used to it, I will mount the floats to it :-)

I put the plane together but haven't aligned the servos or control surfaces - I will continue on Friday.

So how did you cut the motor shaft, or did you just adjust it?
Old Dec 17, 2009, 07:59 AM
Methuen, MA
Joined Sep 2002
869 Posts
Andy,

The 4 cell battery is a bad idea. The motor is too high kv for 4 cells. 3 cell works much better. A 2 blade 11 x 5.5e or 12 x 6 works great on three cells with this. You have already found out the supplied prop adapter is junk. The prop shaft can be cut to the proper length with a dremel and cut-off wheel.

The floats are designed wrong. They don't work as they should. The step is in the wrong spot. Too far forward. Don't use them without modification. Read the whole thread and you will see how Brent and I both had bad experiences with them. I've gotten around to starting work on the floats. Below is the before and after shot on the step extension. I'll use them for flying off snow for the winter, but water trials will have to wait for May.
Mike Tully is offline Find More Posts by Mike Tully
Old Dec 17, 2009, 08:47 AM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,793 Posts
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the tip. I have a few 3S 20-30C 2200mAh - they would work just fine?

Thanks,

Andy
Old Dec 17, 2009, 10:14 AM
Methuen, MA
Joined Sep 2002
869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyandi View Post
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the tip. I have a few 3S 20-30C 2200mAh - they would work just fine?

Thanks,

Andy
Those would be good. Check amp draw before flying. Should be about 28-29 amps with the APC 11 x 5.5e prop. More with a 12 x 6. We are operating under the assumption that your plane is the same as mine and Brent's
Mike Tully is offline Find More Posts by Mike Tully
Old Dec 21, 2009, 09:52 PM
Joined Sep 2009
6 Posts
Hi all, from Jim. I have been flying a Raptor 50 heli, And consider myself having intermediate skills. I have never flown fixed wing rc, but have been flying my Great Planes Rc simulator, and can do touch and goes and pattern ok. I just recieved the 185 from Banana Hobbys. It looks like E-do might have been following these Forums,as the airplane has metal lift strut attach points,Hinged control surfaces, a wooden motor mount, and has the flaps all set up to go. It still has the acrylic mounts on the floats,and still has the same motor-battery-prop combo. I will be performing the carbon fiber wing mod, and merging the two elevator push rods together. I have the 2.4 GHz Futaba 7c, and will be incorporating flaperons. I was going to limit my max rpm for now, and was wondring what the max should be? I want to thank everyone for the info!
B1900Mech is offline Find More Posts by B1900Mech
Last edited by B1900Mech; Dec 21, 2009 at 10:13 PM. Reason: More info
Old Dec 21, 2009, 11:48 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2008
3,402 Posts
Hey Jim, not sure on the rpm but if you are successfully flying a raptor 50 heli this plane should be a walk in the park for you. I'm going the opposite way, I have the fixed wing flying experience and am now getting into helis LOL.

Wow a ply mount and struts that don't hang loose.......crazy man.

I discovered yesterday that my ESC from this plane is fried.....from the water crash obviously, but I never tried it since then till now.

Great so I need an ESC...may as well order a lower kv motor too...but it will have to wait till I need other stuff from HK, not to motivated to fix it with too many other planes.

Brent
Old Dec 23, 2009, 11:02 PM
Joined Sep 2009
6 Posts
Cant get the motor to run

Hi again, I cant seem to get the Motor to run, I have the Futaba 7C. I have the ESC plugged into channel 7B. I keep getting a constant alternating tone from the esc. Thanks Jim
Old Dec 24, 2009, 12:54 AM
Joined Sep 2009
6 Posts
Disregard, Wrong channel.
Old Dec 24, 2009, 01:25 AM
Joined Sep 2009
6 Posts
Here are some pics of the 185 mods.
Old Jan 03, 2010, 02:24 AM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,793 Posts
I hate to do this, but I had no time since I got the Cessna to complete it - so I am going to sale or trade it:

If someone is interested here please let me know:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1168583

It's the Cessna 182, not the 185 :-)

Thanks,

Andy
Old Jan 03, 2010, 12:11 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2008
3,402 Posts
Since I found the ESC is toat on mine, I am going to sell it as well. Too many planes to fund and work on.

Airframe, servos and floats (will include the out runner too). Needs a ply motor mount built and the float mounts re-worked and floats tuned.

Edit: giving for free to fellow club member.
Last edited by BrentP; Jan 19, 2010 at 01:57 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 01:58 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2008
3,402 Posts
I see hobby king has the 182 now for $130