HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:37 AM
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Sep 2009
705 Posts
No, I just thought it looked interesting, and for the price, would make a decent winter plane.
I have quite a bit of experience building models, so i'm not too worried about having to rework a few things. I'm glad I found this thread, good tips here.
speedy72vega is offline Find More Posts by speedy72vega
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2013, 11:53 AM
Joined Sep 2009
705 Posts
Well, my 185 came in today. After reading this thread it seems that most of the concerns from the earlier versions have been addressed.
Mine came with a heavy duty wood motor mount, metal mounts at both ends of the wing struts, the wing strut itself is metal wire with foam attached, the wing already has metal washers glued where the attaching bolts go through, the wings appear to have plastic tubes nearly the full length, and a heavy wire joiner that is glued into one side.
It looks to me to be pretty well made, the only thing I have noticed so far that was done wrong is where the wire comes through the tail section for the tailwheel. They pre drilled the hole in the tail and glued a metal reinforcement washer to the bottom. The hole was drilled in the wrong spot and the wire won't come straight down. This to me is pretty minor, if that's all I encounter during the build I will be happy.
Just to note, I bought the kit version, so I can't comment on any of the factory electronics. I prefer to put my own power system and servos in my models.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 12:00 PM
Joined Sep 2009
705 Posts
Andrew, to answer your question about the wing joiner, mine has what appears to be black plastic tubes made into the wings. The length runs nearly the entire wing except for about the last 3 inches or so. The inner diameter is 5mm, there is a 5mm metal wire glued into one side. It sticks out about 4 inches where it slides into the opposite wing.
I hope this helps.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 12:12 PM
Joined Jul 2011
69 Posts
Will it be able to write in cm.please and little bit proper)
andrew199936 is offline Find More Posts by andrew199936
Old Mar 02, 2013, 08:15 AM
Joined Jul 2011
69 Posts
Speedy could you say please ONLY diameter and lenght!
Old Mar 02, 2013, 08:36 PM
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
2,856 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy72vega View Post
Andrew, to answer your question about the wing joiner, mine has what appears to be black plastic tubes made into the wings. The length runs nearly the entire wing except for about the last 3 inches or so. The inner diameter is 5mm, there is a 5mm metal wire glued into one side. It sticks out about 4 inches where it slides into the opposite wing.
I hope this helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew199936 View Post
Speedy could you say please ONLY diameter and lenght!
Quote:
Will it be able to write in cm.please and little bit proper)
ummm.... he already has lol
"and a little bit proper"... not sure what you mean by this, but if you mean his english, there is nothing wrong with it... perhaps your translation?

He said there appears to be black plastic tubes made into the wings that The length runs nearly the entire wing except for about the last 3 inches (75mm/7.5cm) or so He says the inside diameter of this plastic tubed spar is 5mm (0.5cm) He also says there is a 5mm solid metal rod that is slid into the plastic tubed spar in one wing & glued in place with 4 inches (100mm/10cm) of the metal rod sticking out of the wing... so 4 inches of this metal rod will slide into the other wing when you join the 2 wings together.

I hope that makes sense

Also, I would be very tempted to replace the metal rod with a solid 5mm carbon fibre rod... much much stronger & much much lighter
AussieHoppy is online now Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back street quad cruisin'
Old Mar 02, 2013, 11:33 PM
Joined Sep 2009
705 Posts
Thanks Aussie. I'm sorry for the confusion Andrew, but we still haven't switched over to the Metric system completely here in the US, that's why I gave some of the measurements in inches instead of millimeters. I only have a 1' ruler that happens to have millimeters on the other side, so I gave the inner diameter in metric.

By the way, I maidened the plane today, flies great!. My power setup draws about 385 Watts at 35 Amps on a 3S 3000ma battery with a 12x6 2 blade prop. After a 5 minute flight at around 1/2 throttle, still had about 54% left in the battery.
Tried to fly it off of the snow with the floats, but it was too slushy. The floats kept bogging down. I'm going to try coating the bottom of the floats with fiberglass resin and paint to see if it reduces the drag.
Old Mar 03, 2013, 01:12 AM
Joined Jul 2011
69 Posts
Thank you very much!))
Old Mar 04, 2013, 12:24 PM
Joined Jul 2011
69 Posts
Can anybody make for me plan of shpan. wich is able to put in front of fuse(autocad)
Old Mar 05, 2013, 11:37 AM
Joined Jul 2011
69 Posts
hey make plan of front side of plane(noze)with out canopy!
Old Mar 06, 2013, 02:49 AM
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
2,856 Posts
Quote:
Can anybody make for me plan of shpan. wich is able to put in front of fuse(autocad)
Quote:
hey make plan of front side of plane(noze)with out canopy!
ummm... I dunno about anyone else, but Andrew, I have absolutely no idea what you are asking, let alone why you are asking it...
AussieHoppy is online now Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back street quad cruisin'
Old Mar 08, 2013, 08:47 PM
Joined Sep 2009
705 Posts
Well, I have at least 1/2 dozen flights on this bird so far, and I like it alot. I tried the floats on the snow, but it was too sticky. The sun was out and the snow got a bit slushy, the floats started to dig in every time I got up any speed. That was even with full elevator.
We're going to get pounded with 8-14" of snow tonight and tomorrow, but clear on Sunday. I will try it again on fresh snow this time and see how it does.
My power setup is more than enough, I have been setting the timer for 5 minutes and still have 55-60% left in the battery. Not too bad!
Old Mar 09, 2013, 01:17 AM
Joined Jul 2011
69 Posts
Wing tube:
Diameter-5mm
Lenght-?mm
Say lenght please
Old Mar 13, 2013, 03:53 PM
Joined Sep 2009
705 Posts
Well, I flew the Cessna off of the snow this past Sunday with the stock floats, worked great. I was surprised, but the CG didn't change with them in the stock location. I have decided to mod the floats though, i'm going to extend the step to just behind the CG, and i'm going to leave it straight cut instead of tapered to a point like they are now. I think it might help to break the surface tension on takeoff from water. I'm also going to coat the bottoms with resin or finish epoxy to strengthen them up a bit.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 10:07 PM
Joined Mar 2013
25 Posts
Long time flyer, new to this forum. A buddy of mine and I have been flying the 185 on snow and ice this winter, makes a great "Bush Plane", short takeoffs and landings. Lots of fun. Using all stock setup except we swapped out the stock aluminum gear for a Great Planes small dural gear for .60 size and 1-1/4 x 5/32 bolt-on axles. Skis were the Dubro snowbird skis. Tried the floats last summer - a disaster! I'm going to try again with some of the mods listed here. I've got a lot of hours on this plane and it's still one of my favorites to just putt around with.
scott59 is offline Find More Posts by scott59