Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 21, 2012, 02:47 AM
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
2,827 Posts
AussieHoppy is offline Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by AussieHoppy; Jun 10, 2012 at 09:44 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 29, 2012, 10:54 AM
United States, CO, Broomfield
Joined Dec 2010
97 Posts
I finally got off my butt and started working on fixing the float problem on this bad boy. Couple pieces of aluminum angle and hopefully I'm back in business. I moved the floats back 5 inches from where they used to be. I still need to relocate the float rudder servo, and fix the elevator, but I feel like I'm making progress.
gwidgery is offline Find More Posts by gwidgery
Old Jun 02, 2012, 11:42 AM
Australia, NSW
Joined Jul 2011
90 Posts
Geez that looks like a neat solution gwidgery. I was tossing up whether to do a mod similar to mike tully's or that youtube one that vrider posted but yours looks much simpler. But I've given up on the floats, for now at least. A few weeks back I read through the thread again and put together the 182 I bought for xmas. My son and I were too keen to try it out so with just a prop upgrade we took it out to the lake and typically, just couldn't get the floats to let go of the water. On the third try it was the familiar story where it did lift but cartwheeled then ended up on its roof. Air and float rudder servos the only casualties luckily.

Just now I've retired the floats and put wheels back on. Good luck with your relaunch.

AussieH, sorry to hear that, albeit a few months late. That was one nasty crash.
bellyup is offline Find More Posts by bellyup
Old Jun 05, 2012, 09:50 PM
Joined Dec 2010
97 Posts
Thanks, My next hill to climb is finding a way to relocate the float rudder servo. Somewhere I have seen using push cable and mounting a servo inside of the fuselage. I have a Great Planes pusher cable and am looking for a place to mount it, if anyone has any pictures or success stories for servo relocating on the floats, please post a link or let me know
Old Jun 08, 2012, 03:06 PM
Joined May 2010
2,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellyup View Post
Geez that looks like a neat solution gwidgery. I was tossing up whether to do a mod similar to mike tully's or that youtube one that vrider posted but yours looks much simpler. But I've given up on the floats, for now at least. A few weeks back I read through the thread again and put together the 182 I bought for xmas. My son and I were too keen to try it out so with just a prop upgrade we took it out to the lake and typically, just couldn't get the floats to let go of the water. On the third try it was the familiar story where it did lift but cartwheeled then ended up on its roof. Air and float rudder servos the only casualties luckily.

Just now I've retired the floats and put wheels back on. Good luck with your relaunch.

AussieH, sorry to hear that, albeit a few months late. That was one nasty crash.
heh heh thx mate
actually, she is still hanging in the garage... havent had the heart to throw her out lol
definately repairable, but needs an entire electronics replacement to be safe.... i might yet go back to her...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwidgery View Post
Thanks, My next hill to climb is finding a way to relocate the float rudder servo. Somewhere I have seen using push cable and mounting a servo inside of the fuselage. I have a Great Planes pusher cable and am looking for a place to mount it, if anyone has any pictures or success stories for servo relocating on the floats, please post a link or let me know
I dont know if this would work...
what if you mounted a servo in the underside of the fuselage, positioned to push a rod down one of the float struts, say eg the port/aft strut (or whatever side the float is on)
this ends in a clevis on a "T" servo horn, that is mounted to the bottom of the strut to pivot on a bolt through both the servo horn & strut
If the T was upside down, the servo push rod would attach to the fwd-horizontal part of the horn
now attach a pushrod & clevis to the vertical part of the horn, and the pushrod will run straight back to the rudder

in effect, if the servo pushed the pushrod down, the "T" horn will rotate anticlockwise, so the vertical horn of the "T" will pull the rudder pushrod, turning the rudder

the pushrods would have to be rather stiff to avoid bending, but shouldnt need to be over the top
i hope that's clear enough, let me know if not and i'll draw it up
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by AussieHoppy; Jun 08, 2012 at 03:23 PM.
Old Jun 08, 2012, 03:57 PM
Joined Dec 2010
97 Posts
Here's what I did, sort of winged it. I just bored a hole for the servo next to the battery, JB Welded it, poked my push rod through the fuselage, and zip tied it to the aluminum angle holding the float on, kinda ghetto if I do say so myself. Now I just need to make something to route the cable on the back of the float, and seal up the floats with some epoxy or silicone, and I am ready for a test run.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 06:26 PM
Joined May 2010
2,827 Posts
Quote:
Here's what I did, sort of winged it. I just bored a hole for the servo next to the battery, JB Welded it, poked my push rod through the fuselage, and zip tied it to the aluminum angle holding the float on, kinda ghetto if I do say so myself. Now I just need to make something to route the cable on the back of the float, and seal up the floats with some epoxy or silicone, and I am ready for a test run.
at the end of the day, all it has to do is turn the rudder... so it looks like you have a success story

good luck, hope it goes well!
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back street quad cruisin'
Old Jun 13, 2012, 09:47 AM
Joined Dec 2010
97 Posts
That is true, but I'm not going to count my chickens before they hatch. I am going to try and maiden this weekend. Hopefully I can get my cable mounts glued to the float and get some silicone on the floats to seal em up. The first time I tried to fly the floats soaked up about a gallon of water. Might have to do some bathtub tests to confirm they are water tight. Either way, I will get some footage of the effort this weekend and report back.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 10:30 PM
Joined May 2010
2,827 Posts
Quote:
That is true, but I'm not going to count my chickens before they hatch. I am going to try and maiden this weekend. Hopefully I can get my cable mounts glued to the float and get some silicone on the floats to seal em up. The first time I tried to fly the floats soaked up about a gallon of water. Might have to do some bathtub tests to confirm they are water tight. Either way, I will get some footage of the effort this weekend and report back.
Being a boat builder, I'd be inclined to use epoxy, lightly sand the floats then give it a coat of epoxy resin.
That said I haven't tried silicone, so I'd be curious how that works for you.
Good luck mate, I reckon she'd fly a pearler on water
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 15, 2012, 11:47 AM
Joined Dec 2010
97 Posts
Went on ahead and used epoxy, hopefully I got all the pin holes filled. Gonna try to fly tomorrow.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 06:29 PM
Joined May 2010
2,827 Posts
Quote:
Went on ahead and used epoxy, hopefully I got all the pin holes filled. Gonna try to fly tomorrow.
good luck mate!

i've never had the balls to fly off water, yet to challenge myself on that lol
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 16, 2012, 08:21 PM
Joined Dec 2010
97 Posts
Success! Had to tinker and play with it but I got it up and down. Blew the windshield out on the first crash, so when in doubt... masking tape!

Link to Video:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post21916532
Last edited by gwidgery; Jun 18, 2012 at 09:05 AM.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 04:36 AM
Joined May 2010
2,827 Posts
Quote:
Success! Had to tinker and play with it but I got it up and down. Blew the windshield out on the first crash, so when in doubt... masking tape!

Link to Video:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post21916532
congrats mate!
you had some scary moments lol but all's well that ends well

did you have any problems with the electrics after the dunking?
that's why I havent ventured into floats yet, the thought of submerged electrics kinda scares me...
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 25, 2012, 09:13 AM
Joined Dec 2010
97 Posts
Nothing really even got wet, and it was at least wing deep for a couple of seconds, I had to blow the water out of one servo connection, but other than that everything worked great, well as great as the stock servos were before the water, haha. I was really shocked, there were only a couple of dribbles of water on the motor. Let it dry out for 20 minutes and she fired right up with no problems.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 01:26 AM
DS Addict
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
5,069 Posts
Has anyone figured out the float problem on these yet? Referring to the poor tracking, leaking, lack of glide on water surface

Here is a video of the one I have flown (a mates plane I would love to get flying nicer for him Water handling is horrible)

Cessna flight is from 1:07

Lake Forsyth Annual Fly-In 2011 (10 min 29 sec)
ALEX HEWSON is offline Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member