HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 16, 2011, 08:21 PM
what goes up, must come down..
AussieHoppy's Avatar
Joined May 2010
2,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweety_Bird View Post
Well, I got one of these dirt cheap, not knowing much about it... After reading up on this thread, i atleast know what to start working on... I haven't gotten it yet, so I guess I'll find out what generation it is...

I can however add a few tidbits of info I have managed to dig up...

According to E-Do models themselves, the motor is 950Kv (however markings on it is 1000Kv ?) the recommended parts to go with it are a 3-4S battery, and a 40A+ ESC... And either the 3 blade 1060 prop, or APC 1047,1170,1260... So I guess the recommendations in this thread are similar...
greetings

i doubt it'll be V1, but if it is (as mine was) you'll be replacing everything- motor/esc/servos
I'm running a G&C (fms) motor/11 x 7 apc and flies well
if it is trike setup, you'll have already read the problems with the nose wheel... but in all fairness, in many scale trike setups the nose wheel is a weak point. My 182 is a tail dragger, and with the braced mains, never a nose over on normal takeoff/landings, and flies well off roughly mown grass.
i installed the flaps & whislt they work well, she's a floater and i seldom use them.
in fact after a gazillion flights and still being used occasionally as a flight trainer, she's still flying
AussieHoppy is online now Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back street quad cruisin'
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2011, 03:18 PM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2011
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieHoppy View Post
greetings

i doubt it'll be V1, but if it is (as mine was) you'll be replacing everything- motor/esc/servos
I'm running a G&C (fms) motor/11 x 7 apc and flies well
if it is trike setup, you'll have already read the problems with the nose wheel... but in all fairness, in many scale trike setups the nose wheel is a weak point. My 182 is a tail dragger, and with the braced mains, never a nose over on normal takeoff/landings, and flies well off roughly mown grass.
i installed the flaps & whislt they work well, she's a floater and i seldom use them.
in fact after a gazillion flights and still being used occasionally as a flight trainer, she's still flying
I'm fairly sure it's a trike... And if it is, it won't make it past construction without being modified... I fly off a fairly rough grass field, and the only planes that gets to keep the frontwheel are the EDF's since there a taildragger isn't an option....

BTW, I might be going about this the wrong way... I started with a coaxial heli, moved to a big 3D heli, moved to EDF's, and now as my 5 or sixth model, I'm getting a trainer...

Amazingly, the other planes are all still flying... My coaxial is well past it's prime though...
Tweety_Bird is offline Find More Posts by Tweety_Bird
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2011, 07:00 PM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2011
8 Posts
Ok, I got the plane today, and promptly ripped open the box to play around... Apologies for no pictures... I will add those when i find my SD card reader for the laptop...

First part of the construction went great... I noted that my plane was the new version (should we call it V3?) that bellyup had, with 7 ply engine mount and very strong magnets on engine cowl and hatches... Infact the battery hatch is a bitch to open, the magnets are very strong, and the hatch somewhat slippery, so it usually takes a few attempts to get it open...

So, once tail and stab is glued, I start on the linkages... Another change, which looks fairly good... The two links for the elevator comes together in an alu block with set screws that's connected to the servo, so no more using different holes in the servo arm... That's the good part... The bad part?

Whoever assembled the supplied linkages must be either completely cock-eyed, or perhaps blind... After more than an hour of fiddling, I had to admit against my will that there is absolutely no way of making the linkages work as intended...

With the front wheel assembly centered, the linkage is too short, and the servo arm has to be off center for it to have any movement both ways, and that makes the rudder link too long, making the rudder "rest" at it's endpoint... And even if I got the two to match up, the rudder link would still bind in the foam passage...

Not too surprisingly, I'm already contemplating possible ways to convert to a taildragger, since the front wheel is mostly pissing me off, and it's technically not even broken yet...

The newfangled link for the elevator linkage is ridiculously long, which in theory is easily fixed by cutting the links shorter... If it wasn't for the fact that the alu piece bind on the servo arm at full movement one way, meaning it has to sit off center to work, making it even longer... And then the kink in the servo links hits the side of the foam channel at center, so to make it work I need to shorten the threaded end instead... And I'm pretty sure once I have figured out a fix for that, I still will find something else needing fixing...

Like the servo for the floats... Not only is there a servo in a watertight "cup" with a hole on top... Which most people can figure out means the water goes in, but doesn't come out, making a nice puddle for the servo to sit in... On the other float, the servo hole is still there, no foam block in it... Making a nice water resevoar to fly around with... Sigh...

And then there is a gap wide enough to look through in one of the floats... And the mounts are still acrylic... So no definetly no upgrades on the floats on newer versions...

Instead of swearing more about it, which seems to make my better half and the two cats I share quarters with a bit peeved, I'm gonna wait for my shipment from HK, which contains linkage stoppers... Saves me swearing at plastic clevises that won't adjust far enough... And since I don't trust them anyways, so...

And it gives me plenty of time to fill in the holes in the floats, remove the servo, which I'm convinced wouldn't have survived the first take-off, and rig it from the fuselage somewhere...

Granted, for a plane that cost me a grand total of $60 an as ARF it seems pretty fair value... And I did expect to have to work a bit with it... Just didn't expect it to be this much of a PITA to put together...
Tweety_Bird is offline Find More Posts by Tweety_Bird
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2011, 09:35 PM
what goes up, must come down..
AussieHoppy's Avatar
Joined May 2010
2,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweety_Bird View Post
Ok, I got the plane today, and promptly ripped open the box to play around... Apologies for no pictures... I will add those when i find my SD card reader for the laptop...

First part of the construction went great... I noted that my plane was the new version (should we call it V3?) that bellyup had, with 7 ply engine mount and very strong magnets on engine cowl and hatches... Infact the battery hatch is a bitch to open, the magnets are very strong, and the hatch somewhat slippery, so it usually takes a few attempts to get it open...

So, once tail and stab is glued, I start on the linkages... Another change, which looks fairly good... The two links for the elevator comes together in an alu block with set screws that's connected to the servo, so no more using different holes in the servo arm... That's the good part... The bad part?

Whoever assembled the supplied linkages must be either completely cock-eyed, or perhaps blind... After more than an hour of fiddling, I had to admit against my will that there is absolutely no way of making the linkages work as intended...

With the front wheel assembly centered, the linkage is too short, and the servo arm has to be off center for it to have any movement both ways, and that makes the rudder link too long, making the rudder "rest" at it's endpoint... And even if I got the two to match up, the rudder link would still bind in the foam passage...

Not too surprisingly, I'm already contemplating possible ways to convert to a taildragger, since the front wheel is mostly pissing me off, and it's technically not even broken yet...

The newfangled link for the elevator linkage is ridiculously long, which in theory is easily fixed by cutting the links shorter... If it wasn't for the fact that the alu piece bind on the servo arm at full movement one way, meaning it has to sit off center to work, making it even longer... And then the kink in the servo links hits the side of the foam channel at center, so to make it work I need to shorten the threaded end instead... And I'm pretty sure once I have figured out a fix for that, I still will find something else needing fixing...

Like the servo for the floats... Not only is there a servo in a watertight "cup" with a hole on top... Which most people can figure out means the water goes in, but doesn't come out, making a nice puddle for the servo to sit in... On the other float, the servo hole is still there, no foam block in it... Making a nice water resevoar to fly around with... Sigh...

And then there is a gap wide enough to look through in one of the floats... And the mounts are still acrylic... So no definetly no upgrades on the floats on newer versions...

Instead of swearing more about it, which seems to make my better half and the two cats I share quarters with a bit peeved, I'm gonna wait for my shipment from HK, which contains linkage stoppers... Saves me swearing at plastic clevises that won't adjust far enough... And since I don't trust them anyways, so...

And it gives me plenty of time to fill in the holes in the floats, remove the servo, which I'm convinced wouldn't have survived the first take-off, and rig it from the fuselage somewhere...

Granted, for a plane that cost me a grand total of $60 an as ARF it seems pretty fair value... And I did expect to have to work a bit with it... Just didn't expect it to be this much of a PITA to put together...
sounds like they are going backwards in trying to go forward lol
While replacing the stock servos I had installed 2 elev servos in the second aft access hatch, made things a lot more practical, and installed a new servo for the rudder in the same area.

I'm overseas at the moment but when i get back home i'll take a photo of the tail wheel setup if you like, it runs off the rudder, simple & effective if you intend to go down the road of tail dragger.

dont get too frustrated by it all, she's cheap for the size, and worth putting it together... by comparison I bought one of the first 1700mm P40N's from hobbyking, landed from memory approx $400, and a lot of replacement/mods, including replacing 90 deg twisting main retracts... 4 months later and still havent maidened... once you get this bird in the air, enjoy the relazation... although you may be bored coming from edf's & heli's lol
AussieHoppy is online now Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back street quad cruisin'
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2011, 02:19 AM
Registered User
bellyup's Avatar
Australia, NSW
Joined Jul 2011
90 Posts
Well this is interesting tweety. I got my third 182 today and it sounds the same as yours with similar differences between the last one I got for my son less than a month ago. The best change I saw was a reinforced nose wheel mount on the firewall Finally, well done Edomodel. Though it's only the original ply lengthened mounted right across the lower firewall, rather than my overdone double thickness "T" shaped mod, it should suffice. We'll see, but the main purpose of this 182 will be a float plane, though I'm itching to see if the new front mount will work to avoid further strengthening.

The new rear linkage to the elevator halves is a definite improvement, though I can see the issues you raise Tweety in relation to servo throw and the rods being too long. I temporarily taped the tail on and elevator to see how they'd fit. IMO it was quite easy and there's no binding thanks to the generous slot for the rods to go in. But I did have a clevis wound right in and found the rod still to be too long and the "Z" shaped rods would contact the fuse where the exited on the way to full elevator up. However, my first thought would be to shorten the rods by compressing the "Z" if you know what I mean. Make the angles of the Z shape more acute. They don't have to be exactly the same, just fairly close to the same as minor adjustments could then be dialed in on each clevis.

The aluminum block I had my doubts about at first but I think it's going to be alright. With both rods sitting side by side in the alloy block, the grub screws go in between them, forcing them down and sideways within that block. Makes for a very solid connection.

I got floats too and yeah, plastic tabs still. Not sure what the plan is. I may glass them with included lengthened step mod and do away with water rudder altogether. Just use air rudder.

edit: pics in a sec, I posted whilst trying to preview
bellyup is offline Find More Posts by bellyup
Last edited by bellyup; Nov 22, 2011 at 02:54 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2011, 04:18 AM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2011
8 Posts
Bellyup, that the exact one I got... Saves me posting images for now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieHoppy View Post
sounds like they are going backwards in trying to go forward lol
While replacing the stock servos I had installed 2 elev servos in the second aft access hatch, made things a lot more practical, and installed a new servo for the rudder in the same area.

I'm overseas at the moment but when i get back home i'll take a photo of the tail wheel setup if you like, it runs off the rudder, simple & effective if you intend to go down the road of tail dragger.

dont get too frustrated by it all, she's cheap for the size, and worth putting it together... by comparison I bought one of the first 1700mm P40N's from hobbyking, landed from memory approx $400, and a lot of replacement/mods, including replacing 90 deg twisting main retracts... 4 months later and still havent maidened... once you get this bird in the air, enjoy the relazation... although you may be bored coming from edf's & heli's lol
Well, at least it means somewhere there is someone listening to us, since as far as i can figure, all the complaints that have been raised in this thread is slowly being fixed...

As far as I can figure, the larger front mount should be fairly sturdy... That mod is succesful... And the alu block is a nice idea... It's just not all the way with the implementation yet...

After a bit of "Zzzz"s I had a fresh set of idea's...

2 minutes with a file and the alu block is no longer binding on full servo throw... Just needed to remove a little in the "clevis part" of it making that part "slanted"... And that means the arm can sit where it's supposed to, and with the servo centered, and the links bent like bellyup suggested, I can get it decent...

Still think I'll swap those links for non-threaded one's with link stoppers when the parts get here, makes it soo much easier to adjust...

The solution to the too short link to the front wheel is even eaiser... I can make it ten times as sturdy as it is, and I'll still break it on my runway, so taildragger it is... I'll gladly take you up on the offer on those images...

Perhaps the link can be re-used on the floats, but I doubt it bends that much... On the floats, I'll probably try making new mounts in ply instead of the acrylic, and in the process I'll move them back like in the youtube vidoe someone posted a few pages back... Apparently that helps a lot... Obviously I'll fill in the servo holes, the cracks and whatnot first...

If that doesn't work, I'll make an extension to the step with an inverted V, making an airpocket... That should likely get it airborne...
Tweety_Bird is offline Find More Posts by Tweety_Bird
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2011, 04:25 PM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2011
8 Posts
Well, I had a bit more time to build... A few minor eureka moments, and a few setbacks...

Setback No.1... The stock linkages are crap... I tried bending the elevator linkage to a tighter "Z" to get them right... The first one worked fine, the second one fought back... It snapped in half, and gouged me in the finger...

Setback No.2... The stock linkages are really crap... One of the plastic clevises broke on adjustment... Good thing it happend in the build, not in flight...

Eureka Moment No.1... "gold-n-rods" are soooooo nice... They make it really easy to snake the control rod to the water rudder, and since I was lazy, I replaced the too short stock link for the front wheel with one as well... I'm going to maiden the plane on the stock wheels, and then do a taildragger conversion, if I don't stuff it up...

Eureka Moment No.2... Once all linkages are in place, and properly adjusted, setting your transmitter to "fixed wing" instead of delta-mix makes things a lot easier... Doh... I haven't flown anything without an EDF & deltawing before, so this will be new to me... Or rather, I haven't owned such a model at least... Recommended throws seems BIG compared to what I usually set up on the EDF's... Got it all set up like I wanted...

So now, I'm debating if I'm going to glue the wing in one piece, which makes it a PITA to store and transport, but reduces the chance of me brekaing stuff, taking them apart all the time... Decisons, decisions....
Tweety_Bird is offline Find More Posts by Tweety_Bird
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2011, 05:20 AM
what goes up, must come down..
AussieHoppy's Avatar
Joined May 2010
2,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweety_Bird View Post
Well, I had a bit more time to build... A few minor eureka moments, and a few setbacks...

Setback No.1... The stock linkages are crap... I tried bending the elevator linkage to a tighter "Z" to get them right... The first one worked fine, the second one fought back... It snapped in half, and gouged me in the finger...

Setback No.2... The stock linkages are really crap... One of the plastic clevises broke on adjustment... Good thing it happend in the build, not in flight...

Eureka Moment No.1... "gold-n-rods" are soooooo nice... They make it really easy to snake the control rod to the water rudder, and since I was lazy, I replaced the too short stock link for the front wheel with one as well... I'm going to maiden the plane on the stock wheels, and then do a taildragger conversion, if I don't stuff it up...

Eureka Moment No.2... Once all linkages are in place, and properly adjusted, setting your transmitter to "fixed wing" instead of delta-mix makes things a lot easier... Doh... I haven't flown anything without an EDF & deltawing before, so this will be new to me... Or rather, I haven't owned such a model at least... Recommended throws seems BIG compared to what I usually set up on the EDF's... Got it all set up like I wanted...

So now, I'm debating if I'm going to glue the wing in one piece, which makes it a PITA to store and transport, but reduces the chance of me brekaing stuff, taking them apart all the time... Decisons, decisions....
glueing the main wings together is a bit of a risk, only because if you have a mishap it'll be difficult to only replace one wing.
I flew for a long time with the wings not glued with nil issues, but glued them together after my tree top alteration last Christmas
personally I think glueing them together stiffens up the show nicely
AussieHoppy is online now Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back street quad cruisin'
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2012, 08:26 PM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2009
80 Posts
Anyone know where you can get spare parts for the 185?
pete_g is offline Find More Posts by pete_g
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2012, 01:05 AM
what goes up, must come down..
AussieHoppy's Avatar
Joined May 2010
2,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete_g View Post
Anyone know where you can get spare parts for the 185?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CESSNA-18...item19b7a31cd0

try this guy if you have no success elsewhere... this is where i bought mine a long time ago, i see he still sells these cessna's & parts on ebay, he has wings, cowls, landing gear, engine mount, etc listed...

hope this helps
AussieHoppy is online now Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back street quad cruisin'
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2012, 11:14 AM
Registered User
panamarenko's Avatar
Switzerland-Europe
Joined Apr 2007
429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete_g View Post
Anyone know where you can get spare parts for the 185?
What do you need exactly? I have some new spare parts unused.
panamarenko is offline Find More Posts by panamarenko
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2012, 09:13 PM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2009
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieHoppy View Post
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CESSNA-18...item19b7a31cd0

try this guy if you have no success elsewhere... this is where i bought mine a long time ago, i see he still sells these cessna's & parts on ebay, he has wings, cowls, landing gear, engine mount, etc listed...

hope this helps
Thanks. I checked, but they don't ship to Canada.
pete_g is offline Find More Posts by pete_g
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2012, 09:15 PM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2009
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by panamarenko View Post
What do you need exactly? I have some new spare parts unused.
It's for my friend. He's looking for the fuselage, wings and cowl. Anything else he would probably be interested aswell.

Would you ship to CANADA?
pete_g is offline Find More Posts by pete_g
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2012, 04:05 PM
Registered User
panamarenko's Avatar
Switzerland-Europe
Joined Apr 2007
429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete_g View Post
It's for my friend. He's looking for the fuselage, wings and cowl. Anything else he would probably be interested aswell.

Would you ship to CANADA?
Shipping from my country could be expensive, but I can ask at the post office; I have some motor cowls, whell pants, spare fuselage and wings...all new> CESSNA 182, decals also.
panamarenko is offline Find More Posts by panamarenko
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2012, 08:32 PM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2009
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by panamarenko View Post
Shipping from my country could be expensive, but I can ask at the post office; I have some motor cowls, whell pants, spare fuselage and wings...all new> CESSNA 182, decals also.
How much in CAD$ or US$ for cowl, fuselage and wings shipped to CANADA R0A 0W0 ? Thanks.
pete_g is offline Find More Posts by pete_g
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion E domodel Cessna 182 with floats panamarenko Foamies (Kits) 0 Apr 19, 2009 01:41 PM
For Sale Cessna 185 on floats... JerryHall Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 1 Dec 21, 2005 12:18 PM
Cessna 185 with floats in foam project.. JerryHall Foamies (Kits) 48 Nov 09, 2003 03:29 PM
Colorful Cessna 185 Ron Williams Scale Kit/Scratch Built 4 Jul 17, 2002 03:12 AM
Source for GWS micro retractable l/g? PeterH Vendor Talk 5 Dec 18, 2001 12:49 PM