HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 20, 2011, 08:09 PM
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
2,869 Posts
sounds like version 2 is well equipped compared to my much earlier V1.
I piffed all the electrnics on mine, the absolute cheapest of cheap was fitted as standard, but I had bought mine for under $100 so it didnt worry me.
And it was worth it for me... she's really been a good olde faithful!

I have no idea what prop to run on the standard motor sorry, I'm running an eFlite25 on mine.

Originally I had fitted a GC3648-KV600, G&C 50 amp ESC, BEC disabled, Turnigy 2450mah 4S, and this prop I use on this Cessna
11 x 7E EMP nylon 2 blade
Approx cruise throttle:
6.8 amps
108.2 watts
WOT:
17.5 amps
260.1 watts

this motor/prop gave a little more than scale speeds, but just cruising around i could achieve 15 minutes flight time easily

also surprised e-Do have put this 182 out as tricycle... is it actually an e-Do?

mines a tail dragger, and much prefer it this way, i braced the fwd main L/G struts and now i can take off from quite rough strips without any issue at all.

i'm waiting for delivery of a 1900mm w/s TianCheng Cessna and i'll be converting that to tail dragger for the same reason

mounting the main wings on my V1 was much the same issues, i ran the screws through the blind nuts first, dry fitted the wings in place then removed them, a quick sanding of the epo in the areas to be glued (mechanical key), mixed up some foam safe epoxy (half decent working time), brushed on the epoxy onto the areas to be glued (so it soaks into the pores of the epo), the remainder of the mixed epoxy I mixed in a little talc powder to thicken it just a little so it is slightly more runny than toothpaste, then mounted the wings with ample thickened epoxy glue. i laid the plane upside down so glue didnt drip through the interior, and wiped off the excess externally until it hardened.

i've smacked into bushes and tree tops (range & rc experimenting with fpv), have had minor damage from time elsewhere on my cessna, but the wings are still mounted as solid as the day I epoxy glued them.

rambled on a bit here, but hope it helps

cheers
AussieHoppy is online now Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back street quad cruisin'
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2011, 11:51 AM
United States, CO, Broomfield
Joined Dec 2010
97 Posts
Just got the 182 Version 2 last night, and it went together really smooth. I will be getting a battery and receiver tonight. Hopefully soon I can fly it.
gwidgery is offline Find More Posts by gwidgery
Old Aug 11, 2011, 09:17 AM
Joined Dec 2010
97 Posts
Update: I got a Spektrum AR600 Receiver, and I am running a DX6i transmitter with the stock motor and esc. I am using a thunder power 4S 2250mAh 30C 14.8V Battery. When I sync the transmitter up, the motor makes three beeping sounds just like every other plane I own. The problem is that after that all the servos work, but the motor is unresponsive, and there is a red light flashing on the receiver. Anyone have any ideas? The most I can think is that the ESC is bad. Is there a way to test this? Any help is appreciated.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 05:20 PM
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
2,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwidgery View Post
Update: I got a Spektrum AR600 Receiver, and I am running a DX6i transmitter with the stock motor and esc. I am using a thunder power 4S 2250mAh 30C 14.8V Battery. When I sync the transmitter up, the motor makes three beeping sounds just like every other plane I own. The problem is that after that all the servos work, but the motor is unresponsive, and there is a red light flashing on the receiver. Anyone have any ideas? The most I can think is that the ESC is bad. Is there a way to test this? Any help is appreciated.
sorry mate, i'm really not sure

in my mind i think either the motor or esc might be faulty, unless you've accidentally gone into program mode

i replaced all my electrics, mine was version 1 and ALL electronics were very very cheap, i never flew with any original electrics

sorry i cant help further...
AussieHoppy is online now Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back street quad cruisin'
Old Aug 11, 2011, 05:27 PM
Joined Dec 2010
97 Posts
It was in program mode, I fiddled around with it at lunch and got it to work. Thanks for the input!
Old Sep 07, 2011, 09:15 AM
Joined Dec 2010
97 Posts
I tried to maiden this picky girl this weekend with disastrous results. Either the floats were taking on water (which they were, or they were designed wrong, or they need to have a rudder on both floats. either way, I only got it in the air for about 4-5 seconds before it stalled, nosed in and I had to let the breeze blow it back into shore. I believe that the prop isn't correct for this plane either. it seemed that I had to be at full throttle to even get it up to take off speed. I thought this bird was ready to go, but I think I am going to have a lot of tweaking to do to it. Here are some pictures from the attempted maiden.
Last edited by gwidgery; Sep 07, 2011 at 09:43 AM.
Old Sep 08, 2011, 11:37 AM
Joined Dec 2010
97 Posts
Does anyone have any more in depth pictures or information on materials used to modify the floats?
Old Sep 13, 2011, 03:34 PM
Methuen, MA
Joined Sep 2002
870 Posts
Quote:
Does anyone have any more in depth pictures or information on materials used to modify the floats?
Check out post #35 on this thread.

You can't leave the water rudder servo in the float, as it is completely submerged when you are on the take off run and are not up on the step yet. Mine is mounted on the bottom of the fuselage with spiderwire pull-pull cables run through model ship rigging loops mounted on the landing gear. This works great and stays dry. Make sure to seal all the seams in the floats. I used epoxy mixed with microballons (Microscopic phenolic spheres)to do this. I covered the empty servo hole with white Monokote trim sheet.

You might want to start this thread at the beginning. It looks like a lot of the original problems with this model have been fixed, but nothing has been done to address problems with the floats.
Mike Tully is offline Find More Posts by Mike Tully
Old Sep 13, 2011, 03:43 PM
Joined Dec 2010
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Tully View Post
Check out post #35 on this thread.

You can't leave the water rudder servo in the float, as it is completely submerged when you are on the take off run and are not up on the step yet. Mine is mounted on the bottom of the fuselage with spiderwire pull-pull cables run through model ship rigging loops mounted on the landing gear. This works great and stays dry. Make sure to seal all the seams in the floats. I used epoxy mixed with microballons (Microscopic phenolic spheres)to do this. I covered the empty servo hole with white Monokote trim sheet.

You might want to start this thread at the beginning. It looks like a lot of the original problems with this model have been fixed, but nothing has been done to address problems with the floats.
Yah, I figured the servo on the back of the float wouldn't last long, that was my next move relocating it. I was wondering what everyone used as far as foam goes to extend the step. Cut a foam block to fit the shape and epoxy it on or make a mold and fill with expanding foam and shave it into shape? Everything else is pretty well spelled out in the thread, I was just hoping I could gain some direction on the float modification. I can't tell how they were put together in this picture. http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...DSC_0003.1.jpg

I was watching some of my videos of it trying to take off, and the whole back half of the float is under water. Any which way about it though, I should have taken some more time setting this baby up thats for sure!

Thanks for the input fellas!
Last edited by gwidgery; Sep 13, 2011 at 03:53 PM.
Old Oct 04, 2011, 11:03 AM
Joined Dec 2010
97 Posts
Got the float servo relocated, changed out the prop and spinner, and added a few more magnets to the hatches. I am still racking my brain with what material to use for modding these floats. I am thinking of just making a block that will fit up to the bottom face that i can just epoxy on. My only worry is that it will add weight. I suppose the floats are only 30 bucks though, so if i srcrew up a set i can always order more.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 10:45 PM
Joined Jan 2006
30 Posts
Quote:
I tried to maiden this picky girl this weekend with disastrous results. Either the floats were taking on water (which they were, or they were designed wrong, or they need to have a rudder on both floats. either way, I only got it in the air for about 4-5 seconds before it stalled, nosed in and I had to let the breeze blow it back into shore. I believe that the prop isn't correct for this plane either. it seemed that I had to be at full throttle to even get it up to take off speed. I thought this bird was ready to go, but I think I am going to have a lot of tweaking to do to it. Here are some pictures from the attempted maiden.

I had the same thing happen to me the other day with this plane. It gets off the water at full throttle for a few seconds and is really twitchy and then noses down to the left and into the water! I figured the elevator servo was screwed after some bench testing probably before the crash. After the crash it was working ok and then all of sudden it went to full elevator and stayed there and then stripped the servo. The floats also took on a lot of water. One broken prop, a broken float mount and a wing strut pulled out of the fuselage was the damage. I have recently ordered 4 new servos from HK to replace all the stock ones becasue they seem like crap! Oh yeah it only came with 2 motor screws as well. I added the flaps, but wasn't using them on the maiden. I just noticed tonight that one of the Zippy 4s batteries I bougth with it has one cell down to 1 volt and is puffed up a bit. Damn it! I have no idea how to program this esc and wonder if it is set properly. I also broke the 3 bladed prop and want to replace with a 2 blade. Any suggestions?
vrider is offline Find More Posts by vrider
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:26 PM
Joined Dec 2010
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrider View Post
I had the same thing happen to me the other day with this plane. It gets off the water at full throttle for a few seconds and is really twitchy and then noses down to the left and into the water! I figured the elevator servo was screwed after some bench testing probably before the crash. After the crash it was working ok and then all of sudden it went to full elevator and stayed there and then stripped the servo. The floats also took on a lot of water. One broken prop, a broken float mount and a wing strut pulled out of the fuselage was the damage. I have recently ordered 4 new servos from HK to replace all the stock ones becasue they seem like crap! Oh yeah it only came with 2 motor screws as well. I added the flaps, but wasn't using them on the maiden. I just noticed tonight that one of the Zippy 4s batteries I bougth with it has one cell down to 1 volt and is puffed up a bit. Damn it! I have no idea how to program this esc and wonder if it is set properly. I also broke the 3 bladed prop and want to replace with a 2 blade. Any suggestions?
I am using a Thunder/Power 4S, it has been working good for me so far. I mainly bought the plane for the airframe. From what I gathered in this thread, she needs some work. I think I went to a 12x6E 2 blade prop with a 2" Red Spinner, I am still working on extending the step on the floats, and I have spider cable and a steel gear servo for the float rudder. I have also replaced the elevator servo with steel. My ESC was spinning backward when I got it, you can just switch the black and red wires and it will spin correctly. I will get pics up tomorrow hopefully.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 12:05 AM
Joined Jan 2006
30 Posts
Quote:
Got the float servo relocated, changed out the prop and spinner, and added a few more magnets to the hatches. I am still racking my brain with what material to use for modding these floats. I am thinking of just making a block that will fit up to the bottom face that i can just epoxy on. My only worry is that it will add weight. I suppose the floats are only 30 bucks though, so if i srcrew up a set i can always order more.
Here might be a useful video if you haven't seen it before:

It details how to reposition the floats so that the step is in the proper position.

http://www.youtube.com/user/innervoi.../1/2rB9uRC-_mg
Old Oct 13, 2011, 12:34 AM
Joined Dec 2010
97 Posts
Good Find, I didn't even think to redesign the mounts. I had a couple of foam blocks to add length to the step
Old Oct 13, 2011, 02:09 PM
Joined Jan 2006
30 Posts
Quote:
Good Find, I didn't even think to redesign the mounts. I had a couple of foam blocks to add length to the step
YEah the guy just posted it to youtube the other day. I might have to try it as well. I've also sealed up my floats because I think that is a major part of the problem on lift off. Does anyone know or have a program setup for the esc. I reallly don' t know what it is except that it is allegedly a 50 amp. I have a bunch of 2200 3s bats I would like to use with the plane, but I guess I would have to reprogram the esc first to run them. gwidgery, do you have or anyone else for that matter, the updated elevator servo horn with the aluminum sleave and the bent rods? It seems so to be a good fix for the old 2 straight rods into the servo horn. I could see how that would cause problems.