HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 22, 2010, 06:39 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2010
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mtn_boy View Post
Mike:
You say you extended the floats by 4 inches. Could you describe exactly what you did?
Thanks, Len
There is no reason at all to extend the floats. The floats work just fine right out of the box.
There is no reason to take one cell out of the battery, either. If you have the authentic motor(not a grey market substitute) the stock motor, 50a ESC, 4s 2200 battery, and 3 bladed prop work beautifully, giving unlimited vertical performance, easy water takeoffs, and very long flight times.

Incidentally, the latest version from Easytiger Models now has a full light kit, 2.4 radio, wooden motor mount, better strut mounting, and is made from EPO foam instead of EPS.
DickWeddingen is offline Find More Posts by DickWeddingen
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2010, 06:46 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2010
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Tully View Post
Yes, the motor mount is designed that way. Most slowish planes that spin big props use about 2 degrees right thrust.

If you read through the whole thread, then you will see that the stock motor (at least in mine) is ill-suited for 4s use in this airframe. I think the motor is around 1150kv - see here: http://www.himodel.com/electric/1150..._3715-01B.html

Running a two blade 11 x 5 on 4s will eventually melt a motor of this kv and mass. The only reason the motor can survive short periods running on 4s with the (horrible) stock prop is that the flimsy blades flatten out to reduce load. I found that the pitch speed on the stock prop with 4s was about 55mph, meaning that you are wasting huge amounts of energy trying to go faster than this plane will go. The prop blades stall and the energy is wasted beating the air and making noise. Four cells on this setup is just stupid. Run three cells and a 12 x 6 APCe for great performance off of water. An 11 x 5.5e on three cells is a great setup for land operations. Mine is fully aerobatic on floats with the 12 x 6 and three cells. Long vertical lines and nice 300' round loops are no problem. Pick up a decent prop adapter when you get the prop, the stock one is dangerous junk.
Sorry, but no. That's not the motor in this plane, and this plane was indeed designed around four cells, and the stock setup works beautifully. Before hacking up your plane based upon what someone on the internet says, talk to the people who actually designed and tested it first.
Many many many many of these planes have been sold, there was a very positive review in FlyRC, including shots of it going off the water, it has been flown publicly at MANY meets such as the NEAT Fair, in front of thousands of people, all with the four cell battery and the stock motor and the stock 3 bladed prop. All of which were chosen after a lot of careful testing.
Maybe you can post a picture of the motor you have on your plane? It is possible you got some sort of grey market thing like the RICCS setup, that might be the problem.

Cessna 185 Skywagon Floatplane landplane RTF (3 min 5 sec)

Easytiger's Cessna 185 at Floyd Bennett Field (6 min 52 sec)
DickWeddingen is offline Find More Posts by DickWeddingen
Last edited by DickWeddingen; Oct 22, 2010 at 06:47 PM. Reason: links
Old Oct 22, 2010, 11:34 PM
Joined Aug 2008
201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DickWeddingen View Post
What you have there is not an authentic C185 from Easytiger Models, what you have is a grey market plane that was assembled by RICCS. Riccs bought a batch of foam airframes that were meant to be sold as just airframes, and sold only overseas. Instead, what they did was fit them out with garbage electronics and sell the into the USA and other planes, through companies like Banana Hobbies.
So...don't be surprised if you have further electronic failures.
Also...salt water and model airplanes just don't mix well. Basically, if you fly from salt water, pretty much all your electroncs are going to die.
To be fair, all my electronics worked OK out of the box.
My ESC had the RICCS sticker, but my motor had no sticker. (the photo of the motor above was from some other webpage), however, the shape and color of my motor is the same, just without sticker.
I am located in Asia, (outside of China/HK/Taiwan), bought it in an LHS, I wasn't expecting a model that had anything to do with EasytigerModels. Who's to say what's authentic actually? Seems to me that as long as the major components (foam only?) come from E-DOMODELS (or an E-DO-authorized source), then it is "authentic".

DickWeddingen,
Can you post a photo of the "correct" motor?
Do you know what its Kv is?
What is the specs of the "correct" tri-blade prop? (my EDO box said 1060, but my prop says 1070).
kaon is offline Find More Posts by kaon
Last edited by kaon; Oct 22, 2010 at 11:40 PM.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 11:04 AM
Methuen, MA
Joined Sep 2002
870 Posts
DickWeddington,

It sounds like the genuine EasytigerModels 185 is a completely different airplane than the one I have. All the other posters in this thread that reported negative experiences with the EDO Models C-185 probably have the same inferior knock-off that I have. I reported test results and thoroughly documented the methodology used in making modifications to my particular plane in order to assist anyone else who may have ended up with a plane that is as poorly-designed as mine.

Best of luck selling the genuine article, but that has to be tough after someone has already flooded the market with a nearly identical, but poorly designed copy.
Mike Tully is offline Find More Posts by Mike Tully
Old Oct 23, 2010, 11:57 AM
Joined Aug 2009
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DickWeddingen View Post
There is no reason at all to extend the floats. The floats work just fine right out of the box.
There is no reason to take one cell out of the battery, either. If you have the authentic motor(not a grey market substitute) the stock motor, 50a ESC, 4s 2200 battery, and 3 bladed prop work beautifully, giving unlimited vertical performance, easy water takeoffs, and very long flight times.

Incidentally, the latest version from Easytiger Models now has a full light kit, 2.4 radio, wooden motor mount, better strut mounting, and is made from EPO foam instead of EPS.
Maybe my friend got a lemon.

Here's what I do know. He got it directly from the Edomodel factory in china. Curtis from easytigermodel.com apparently doesn't know how to ship a package to Canada, so it was shipped directly from the china factory to Canada via EMS. He charged the credit card and never shipped it, no tracking number. Finally got Edomodel to ship is directly. This is after several phone calls, brutal customer service including Curtis obviously screening his calls to avoid the problem.

I would strongly suggest not ordering from easytigermodel.com if you are outside the USA.

We are still waiting for the flap kit and spare props from Curtis. It's been 2 months since the original order. He says they are shipped...I really doubt they are.

On to the plane...This is not a grey market plane. It is stock from Edomodel, along with the 6ch 2.4 radio and wood motor box. The stock 4S setup, motor and prop on my friends plane just didn't work right out of the box. After 3-4 minutes of flight at barely 50% throttle, the motor was burning hot. You could not touch that motor without burning your hand. The ESC was also extremely hot. After 3 flights (all on different days) of about 3-4 minutes, the ESC burnt out. The solder on the ESC melted. The motor is still good, but I'm surprised, considering how hot that thing was.

The servos are cheap and don't center...ever. Always need to re ajust. Some HXT900 from hobbyking would to the trick. The 2 rod elevator setup, just doesn't work right. One side is always off. The rudder will bind when using elevator. We had to cut out some elevator to prevent binding.

Now, after changing the ESC and prop. Fixing the elevator binding and 2 rod setup...it finally will fly as it should and the motor/ESC is nice and cool. Plenty of power with a 3S setup and extra batteries are cheaper.

All in all. Great plane when the bugs are worked out. Changing to 3S will provide great scale power. Test your 4S setup before you fly. Hopefully it's not a lemon like the one my friend has.

Sorry for the long post
pete_g is offline Find More Posts by pete_g
Old Oct 23, 2010, 04:00 PM
Methuen, MA
Joined Sep 2002
870 Posts
Pete,

Sounds like somebody pulled a fast one on your buddy and somehow substituted a crappy counterfeit like mine rather than the perfected, genuine, authentic EasytigerModels version.
Mike Tully is offline Find More Posts by Mike Tully
Old Oct 23, 2010, 05:54 PM
USA, VT, Newport
Joined Jul 2010
27 Posts
I too had a more recent model, wood motor mount, reinforced struts etc. On maideb flight, the ESC ran very hot and eventually ran only about 50% power. Upon reading this thread, I asked for and recieved a new ESC, swapped out the prop, and ran on 3s batteries. All has been well. I too struggled with the poorly designed elevator, finally fixing it with shims. The pushrod connectors are very weak, two screws for mounting the motor are not enough, tail wheel is difficult to secure. Other than that, this is a nice flyer, a little flitty in the wind, but good looking. Good service from toysonics.
Len
green_mtn_boy is offline Find More Posts by green_mtn_boy
Old Oct 23, 2010, 06:35 PM
Joined Aug 2009
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Tully View Post
Pete,

Sounds like somebody pulled a fast one on your buddy and somehow substituted a crappy counterfeit like mine rather than the perfected, genuine, authentic EasytigerModels version.
The order was from Easytigermodels. Curtis, the owner of Easytigermodel insisted to ship the plane via China directly from the factory (Edomodel). My friend waited a month, several phone calls were made and continued lies from Curtis. We contacted Edmodel directly to see if the plane was indeed shipped directly from the factory. Turns out Curtis "forgot" to do the order. He did conveniently "remember" to charge the credit card.

What my friend has, seems to be a genuine Easytigermodel version as per the descriptions of components here. If it's not, then the owner of Easytigermodel, Curtis, pulled a fast one.

Anyways. Enough ranting . Back on topic. If a 4S setup is running good, then great. If not, a 3S setup will do.
pete_g is offline Find More Posts by pete_g
Old Nov 16, 2010, 05:48 PM
Joined Jul 2006
14 Posts
I also purchased mine from easytiger. It came with the E-DO motor and battery pack. I also has the plywood motor mount (only two screws for the motor). I haven't had a chance to fly just yet as I have had to deal with some of the common problems mentioned previously in this thread.
Anyway, regarding the floats, would it be benificial to modify the 'hull' to be more like a boat hull? I was browsing power boats the other day, specifically Fountian and their 'Super Ventilated Positive Lift' design. Looks like there are strategic cutouts in the hull surface that allow air to get under the hull and decrease the surface tension/resistance.
Something that some sandpaper and/or a steady hand with a knife could easily replicate on our floats.
BAD LUK is offline Find More Posts by BAD LUK
Old Nov 25, 2010, 11:59 AM
Joined Jul 2006
14 Posts
Also, anyone do anything different as far as a tailwheel setup? The stock one looks like it wouldn't survie a couple beginner landings - taking out the tail section with it.

Thanks.
BAD LUK is offline Find More Posts by BAD LUK
Old Nov 25, 2010, 07:47 PM
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
3,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD LUK View Post
Anyway, regarding the floats, would it be benificial to modify the 'hull' to be more like a boat hull? I was browsing power boats the other day, specifically Fountian and their 'Super Ventilated Positive Lift' design. Looks like there are strategic cutouts in the hull surface that allow air to get under the hull and decrease the surface tension/resistance.
Something that some sandpaper and/or a steady hand with a knife could easily replicate on our floats.
I'm a boat builder by trade, and longitudinal "V" cutouts was the direction I was heading in, as mentioned earlier in this thread, but I'll not be putting floats on my 182 any more, more than happy as a grass flying bird.
The theory of the inverted V cutouts should work well, in so far as breaking the surface tension, and as speed increases they should increase lift as well as air is trapped in the V's.
I've ordered an 1800mm Icon for water use, and will be better for fpv... I hope...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD LUK View Post
Also, anyone do anything different as far as a tailwheel setup? The stock one looks like it wouldn't survie a couple beginner landings - taking out the tail section with it.

Thanks.
Mate, in all seriousness, I have the first version (riddled with poor quality) of this E-Do 182, and the tail assembly I have had absolutely no problems.
Keep in mind I replaced all servos, and in the tail I disposed of the "2 elev's on one servo horn" theory, replaced with 2 micro servos w/ servo reverser, with a micro servo for the rudder/ tail steering.
I've had some pretty hard landings, the tail has never been a problem.
The main carriage kinda folded back, pivoted on the ply mount, on my first fpv attempted landing I've braced it up, rather roughly, McGuivering the ally float bracing. Now she'll take almost any hard landings
But she's a floater... if your cg is correct (not tail heavy) then I really cant fathom how you could ever damage the tail... always comes in level, with absolutely no tendancy to nose over.

I've attached photos to show what I did with the tail servos & the main carriage... please excuse the shoddy workmanship, this isnt the plane for pedantic craftsmanship

I've had lots and lots of flights with her, she's been a great scale flyer, so much so I'm soon going to put the fpv gear back in, but this time i'll try from the cockpit for fun... should be interesting with the limited view

FWIW I dont know if i'd fly this cessna if you really have absolutely no flying experience... she is very very easy to fly, a great trainer on buddy box, but IMHO if you plan to teach yourself to fly from scratch, i'd reccommend something like the HK Busy Bee. It's slow, flimsy, seriously lacks quality... but very easy to fly... and at approx $70 it's disposable! I've taught a couple of kids to fly with the BB

Then this 182 would be the perfect next step up.

Hope this helps

Cheers folks!

de Hopster
AussieHoppy is offline Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
Old Nov 29, 2010, 01:35 AM
North Pole Ak
Joined Oct 2007
305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox7 View Post
kiwilama:
I like, I like!!! How does one get to buy one?? Where are they for sale, and how much?? It looks really clean and sleek. How does it fly??

Fox7
Jet Hobby RC Model.

No Category Name Price Qty Total
1 Foam Electric, New Arrivals CESSNA 185 EPO S$89.00 1 S$89
Shipping Cost S$61.00 (9-12days)
Misc Cost S$0
Total in SGD S$150
Total in USD US$116.28
oewilson@acsal is offline Find More Posts by oewilson@acsal
Last edited by oewilson@acsal; Dec 04, 2010 at 01:57 AM.
Old Dec 04, 2010, 01:50 AM
Culver City, Ca
Joined Mar 2009
102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oewilson@acsal View Post
Thank you for purchasing from Jet Hobby RC Model. Here is the list of items you have ordered on 2010-11-28, 01:29, complete with the shipping cost. If agreeable, please proceed by making the full payment as instructed below.

No Category Name Price Qty Total
1 Foam Electric, New Arrivals CESSNA 185 EPO S$89.00 1 S$89
Shipping Cost S$61.00 (9-12days)
Misc Cost S$0
Total in SGD S$150
Total in USD US$116.28
I really didn't understand the post, but when I saw location, North Pole, I knew it was one of Santa's helpers trying to help me put this plane under my tree. Thanks!!!

I just happened to come back to this thread tonight to again look at the picture of this plane posted in this thread, and just happened to read out the rest of the thread and see you post.

I am awaiting my email from Jet Hobby RC Model as I type this.

Thanks!!

Fox7
Fox7 is offline Find More Posts by Fox7
Old Dec 04, 2010, 01:54 AM
North Pole Ak
Joined Oct 2007
305 Posts
HO HO
You have been a good boy....haven't you ?

Mine will be here next week,fast air shipping.
oewilson@acsal is offline Find More Posts by oewilson@acsal
Old Jan 03, 2011, 05:26 AM
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
3,000 Posts
thought i'd give everyone a giggle at my expense...

my gf took some vid footage of me clowning around with my e-do 182 cessna on the weekend from an overgrown cricket field, because the local airfield was chock full of heli's.
Apologies for the poor vid quality, taken from her mobile phone.

She caught the landing of the first flight, hopping over grass clumps...

Cessna 182 (1 min 0 sec)

Then the second flight, went well, caught a clump of grass beside the cricket pitch for a mild nose over.
At this point I should've kept walking and gone home due to diminishing late arvo sunlight, but, I couldn't help myself & wanted to sqeeze in one more flight @ 4:15...

Tree? What tree...?! Cessna 182 r/c 1500mm into tree top... (5 min 30 sec)

Combination of low light/ geriatric eye sight/ lotsa trees induced depth perspective stuff-up... now nicely adorns the 90' tree top...

A real shame, even though a cheapie foamy, she's always been a joy to fly.

Slapping myself while giggling at it... still up there lol
AussieHoppy is offline Find More Posts by AussieHoppy