Old Sep 01, 2009, 07:27 AM
I love FPV!
Eastern side of Australia
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Discussion
Help with my ET OSD Pro & RangeVideo Tx harness

Guys,

I'm looking at putting together my RangeVideo Tx harness which connects to my Eagle Tree OSD Pro.

Firstly, the RV Video Tx (900Mhz...) comes with a cable tha has a Audio, Video and Power connector, which gets magically made into a single plug that connects to the Tx.

That's the bit I'll be cutting...

And this is the side that goes into the Tx, which I'll be leaving well alone.

I have a separate mic and a 3S Lipo.

So, at the moment, this is the diagram I've come up, with help from a user on the forums.

I think it needs work though - as I'm sure I see a short...

To explain the image, I'll power the Tx off a Lipo, and have a separate Audio and Video servo connector going from my OSD Pro, to the harness which ends up with the connection going into the video Tx.

I've cut off the Video connection off the cable, which reveales the ground and the signal cable.

So, in the diagram, you can see that depicted as the video cable from the video TX, splitting into two (ground and signal).

Can anyone comment and assist me with this?
Cralis is offline Find More Posts by Cralis
Last edited by Cralis; Sep 01, 2009 at 07:38 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 01, 2009, 08:01 AM
Joined Jan 2007
2,052 Posts
Images don't work.
healthyfatboy is offline Find More Posts by healthyfatboy
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 01, 2009, 03:18 PM
I love FPV!
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Do they not work for anyone? I've tried a few machines, and all seem OK...
Old Sep 01, 2009, 03:21 PM
http://drone-pilot.blogspot.fr
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
pics work for me.

Can't work out what it is you're asking though
lovegroove is offline Find More Posts by lovegroove
Old Sep 01, 2009, 03:26 PM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Cralis, I would use the RCA jacks on the adapter to connect different components and not solder those coaxial cables.
Tarro is offline Find More Posts by Tarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 01, 2009, 03:35 PM
I love FPV!
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovegroove
pics work for me.

Can't work out what it is you're asking though
Mm.. thought I might not explain myself properly.

OK, the RangeVideo Tx came with a cable that, on one end, connects to the Video Tx with a small connector (2nd picture donw), and on the other end, has large RCA connectors. Power, Video and Audio.

The Audio connector has to connect to the 'Audio Out' on the Eagle Tree Pro, the Video RCA has to connect to the 'Video Out' on the Egle Tree OSD Pro, and then power connector has to connect to a Lipo.

So...

I need to snip off the RCA style connectors, and change them with Servo stype connectors... (WHich the Eagle Tree OSD Pro expects), and add a Deans connector after removing the power connector.

Does that make any more sence?
Old Sep 01, 2009, 03:47 PM
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
I can't work out what the red power lines are supposed to be doing for the video and audio out. Your diagram doesn't seem to make sense to me.
Old Sep 01, 2009, 03:54 PM
I love FPV!
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
The camera and the mic need power, as does the video Tx. So, its my understanding that the power is being supplied to the camera and mic, through the OSD, and then also to the power connector to the Video Tx. 12 Volts all around.

On the other end of the OSD Pro, there will be a Video IN, and an Audio IN, which will also be a servo connector, with signal, +v, and -v on that. So, the power in this diagram is supplying the power to everything.
Old Sep 01, 2009, 04:11 PM
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
OK, I assumed that the OSD pro would provide power for the mic and camera, now I see that it just passes the power from AV in to AV out. That seems to make wiring it up much more complicated and messy. Your drawing makes sense now, just wire it up like that and should be fine.
Old Sep 01, 2009, 04:39 PM
Does it fly?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2007
844 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarro
Cralis, I would use the RCA jacks on the adapter to connect different components and not solder those coaxial cables.
Don't be a girl, soldering it easy

Seriously though, those RCA connectors need to come off, lots of weight and size that isn't necessary.
Gussy is offline Find More Posts by Gussy
Old Sep 01, 2009, 05:06 PM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gussy
Don't be a girl, soldering it easy

Seriously though, those RCA connectors need to come off, lots of weight and size that isn't necessary.
I'm bad, I thought that was the adapter that the goggles connect to, you're right cut them off and save the weight.
Tarro is offline Find More Posts by Tarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 01, 2009, 07:52 PM
I love FPV!
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Thanks guys. Yeah, the weight was the main issue.. and those plugs are HUGE.. So, the idea of nice little servo connectors coming out seems to be the winner. However, I'm still unsure of the diagram.

Let's start with the Video cable first... (As I have cut off the RCA connector, and supplied a photo). The video cable comes from the Tx cable, and once the RCA is cut off, I have 2 small cables... (Diagram shows this as a yellow and a black, coming out of the thick yellow cable).

I will solder that yellow (inner) wire, to the signal wire of the servo connector.
I will then solder the black wire (ground?) to the ground pole of the servo connector. And then I will solder a 12V wire from the LIPO to the +v pole on the servo connector.

Is that right so far?

My confusion (As this is due to lack of knowledge and experience) is.. how can the 12v positive line come FROM the Lipo, but then the Ground (-v) line go to the video Tx? Broken circuit? That means there's only one wire coming from the pack...

Or will this be resolved later by the power lead?
Old Sep 01, 2009, 08:03 PM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
why not just cut at the start of the plug where you have 4 wires to work with? That RCA thing looks big, fat & bulky did I mention it's big?

I've drawn you a diagram which you correctly interpreted ... but now you're deviating from the plan I see one short below the red "power" arrow. And I see lots of ground loops in the making because you didn't use the "star" configuration. Back to the drawing board!
trappy is offline Find More Posts by trappy
Old Sep 01, 2009, 08:21 PM
I love FPV!
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Trappy, my main man! I think I lost your diagram, and am, as we speak, hurting myself as punishment. Can you maybe ... resent said diagram? I was looking at those little wires on the plug... and thought they might be useful. But I can't remember a diagram from you using those directly.

Can you maybe post this diagram?

PS: You're in Switzerland, right? It's 3:21am as I type... do you sleep? Ever?

PPS: I'd never deviate from your plan. I believe I have misunderstood something!
Old Sep 01, 2009, 08:28 PM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
Here's the diagram:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=2716828

Your re-interpretation is here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=34

No need to hurt yourself

What I meant with using the wires directly: There are 4 pins coming out of your transmitter. If you cut it right there, then you can use 4 wires. Somewhere in that fat wire they're being re-routed and you'll need to de-route those ... which makes it complicated

I do sleep ... but only when I feel like it Right now I'm up watching stoner movies ... yay
trappy is offline Find More Posts by trappy