HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 31, 2009, 11:26 PM
Confused
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Oct 2008
19 Posts
Discussion
What are we powering our e-flite Jenny/S.E.5a/Nieuports with?

I am about to snag a new Nieuport, and my friend the S.E.5a.

Aside from the obvious e-flite recommended Park 250, I am curious as to what my alternatives are (without having to get into modification of the plane to fit it).

I don't want any more performance necessarily, but I am curious about lesser cost or "better" drop-in replacements, whatever "better" would mean...

I would also like to hear about your ESC and prop choices as well.

Thanks in advance for the advice!
feynman is offline Find More Posts by feynman
Last edited by feynman; Aug 31, 2009 at 11:38 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2009, 11:29 PM
Buffalo,MN
Joined Dec 2005
1,301 Posts
I am thinking of picking up the SE-5A, and was told this is an excellent replacement for the E-flight Park 250, and considerably cheaper too!

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...lectric/Detail
Dan Parson is offline Find More Posts by Dan Parson
Old Sep 01, 2009, 06:02 AM
Beaumont, TX
Joined Feb 2007
1,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Parson
I am thinking of picking up the SE-5A, and was told this is an excellent replacement for the E-flight Park 250, and considerably cheaper too!

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...lectric/Detail

That's what I got for my SE 5a
Pete Miller is offline Find More Posts by Pete Miller
Old Sep 01, 2009, 09:34 AM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,377 Posts
On my JN-4, I got rid of the Efite motor and replaced it with a 2217 from Headsuprc.com. I couldn't stand the prop saver mount of the efite motor. Now I have a normal prop mount. Flies great with 2 cells and an 8x3.8 apc prop.
Pat Daily is offline Find More Posts by Pat Daily
Old Sep 01, 2009, 11:02 AM
Confused
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Oct 2008
19 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I have contacted Jeff at headsuprc and he's been really helpful. Sounds like I can get this all built for a lot less than using the e-flite hardware.

I appreciate it.

-mitch
Old Sep 01, 2009, 11:17 AM
Auburn, WA
Joined Nov 2005
403 Posts
I'm using the Park 250 The new Park 250's come with optional on prop-saver or nose-cone-style fittings.

That said, I have used the following motor interchangeably with the Park 250's on other planes. It also has prop-saver or nose-cone-style. In fact, at $7.99 I just bought two more.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=5358
sloperb is offline Find More Posts by sloperb
Old Sep 01, 2009, 11:20 AM
Auburn, WA
Joined Nov 2005
403 Posts
Also, on the props, I found the GWS 6x5 slow-fly prop to be ideal.
Old Sep 01, 2009, 11:44 AM
Off we go.............
Seattle, WA. USA
Joined Jan 2006
3,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloperb
Also, on the props, I found the GWS 6x5 slow-fly prop to be ideal.
I agree, I've had that prop on mine since I got it along with the recomended Eflite 250. I've tried a couple others, but came back to the 6x5.

I have never had to take that prop off again, and it still has the same O-ring I started with. Never had to replace it. And my Jenny has been flying now for over two years. Never crashed, never even landed hard. I dont see how it could be landed hard unless you were trying to, nor crash unless you tried to.

In fact I'd be terribly embarrassed to crash it, it's so gentle flying.
SabreHawk is offline Find More Posts by SabreHawk
Old Sep 01, 2009, 11:58 AM
Auburn, WA
Joined Nov 2005
403 Posts
I crashed mine on the maiden voyage by reading the instruction line that says "rigging is recommended if you're doing any aggressive flight" to mean that if I wasn't going to fly aggressively that I didn't need the rigging.

I figured first flight I'd make sure she was trim and no wing-warp before adding the rigging. She flew great. I brought her in to land and gave some down-elevator to lose altitude, pulled out at about 25' high and the wings folded in half. I guess my definition of "aggressive" and theirs differed. *Sigh*
Old Sep 01, 2009, 12:41 PM
Off we go.............
Seattle, WA. USA
Joined Jan 2006
3,325 Posts
Yeah I hear ya Slope, but consider that a lesson in not using elevator to get down, or get up. Contrary to what it's name implies, the elevator doesnt do what our ground bred minds think it does. What that down elevator did was increase airspeed quite a bit, in fact the eintire time it was coming down airspeed was increasing, and when you leveled out all that came upon the wing and the result you desribed happened.

Remember, throttle for climb and descent and altitude, elevator for airspeed.
Down elevator increases, up elevator decreases speed. Yes your nose does go up, and does go down with elevator movements but airspeed is also changed.
In fact if you never touch the elevator except to hold the nose level in truns, the airspeed will remain constant throughout the flight. and it will never ever stall.
SabreHawk is offline Find More Posts by SabreHawk
Old Sep 01, 2009, 11:26 PM
Auburn, WA
Joined Nov 2005
403 Posts
Yep, I was bringing her down fast and hard.... but consider I'm moving from a Micro SSX to this plane. Max airspeed on the Jenny in full dive is about the same as my vertical climb rate on the Micro SSX. So I didn't think I was flying aggressively, but its all relative.
Old Sep 02, 2009, 01:06 AM
Confused
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Oct 2008
19 Posts
Thanks again all. I'm going with the 2712-17 from Jeff. He's been unbelievably helpful and patient, which I appreciate.

For those of you who are using this motor, can I ask what you needed to do to accommodate it? I assume they are not direct drop-in replacements for the Park 250 - is there much to do on the S.E.5a or Nieuport to mount them correctly?

Thanks.
Last edited by feynman; Sep 02, 2009 at 01:16 AM.
Old Sep 02, 2009, 02:20 AM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
On my Se5a I added some carbon rod wing reinforcing, added ailerons and stuck a Blue Wonder motor on the nose!
Description:
AUW is 12.5oz Motor is Silver Blue Wonder from Lazertoyz and is developing 90W at just under 7A with APC 9 X 3.8 SF Prop on 3S 740 Kokum 20C Lipo. This gives me 115W/lb with about 19 oz of thrust with a wing loading of only 5.8oz/sq ft! Mods are apparent from the pics. Vertical will be fast and I have programed in 70% Expo for the ailerons as with 45 degrees of throw center will be touchy!
Maiden Video at:
http://rcuvideos.com/video/SE5a-Wild-LR-wmv
Landing sucked as really too much wind for such a light plane but no damage from cartwheel.
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old Sep 03, 2009, 09:15 PM
Buffalo,MN
Joined Dec 2005
1,301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Daily
On my JN-4, I got rid of the Efite motor and replaced it with a 2217 from Headsuprc.com. I couldn't stand the prop saver mount of the efite motor. Now I have a normal prop mount. Flies great with 2 cells and an 8x3.8 apc prop.

Pat;

How did you mount the motor? The 2217 has an 8mm shaft OD and the SE-5A comes with a 8mm mount!
Dan Parson is offline Find More Posts by Dan Parson
Old Sep 03, 2009, 10:21 PM
Joined Dec 2007
233 Posts
I recommend you all forget thoughts of ever using a "prop saver". I have 9 stitches to make my point when the damn o-ring broke and sent the sprinning propellor into my hand.
romanl is offline Find More Posts by romanl