HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 31, 2009, 08:32 PM
Addicted to RC
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
2,762 Posts
Build Log
Pilot Monster QB 60 E-conversion

Meet "ORCA", one of the oldest planes in my fleet. It is a Pilot Monster QB-60. The QB stands for "Quick Build" but that was far from the truth. This Japanese kit (sold through Hobby Shack) had less than ideal instructions and completing everything without extra pieces was an exciting accomplishment. We bought the plane for its wing harness to carry gliders. Tired of hauling in the high start line after every glider launch we thought we found the answer to our "laziness".

Assembly started in the mid 80's and put on hold. A few years later I finished it but didn't fly it until 1994. The original FOX engine was awful and it stayed in storage until 1998 or so when I swapped the motor out for an MDS .61. That motor ran much better and we finally got a few glider launches out of it. Lots of fun...but so darn big to haul around.

This week, I decided to dust it off and give it an inspection. The Monokote covering is falling apart with the black portions sticking to the balsa. One wing has a small hole in the sheeting, the ailerons are warped, and I have decided to take out the old MDS engine and convert it to electric.

I think my direction with this model is to turn it into a tow plane (no wing harness) or a bomb/candy dropper. An electric motor equivalent to a .90 sized glow motor is the power of choice.

Here are the "BEFORE" photos of the beast before rebuild. Enjoy the ride.

-Lee
YarSmythe is offline Find More Posts by YarSmythe
Last edited by YarSmythe; Oct 22, 2009 at 12:11 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 01, 2009, 10:47 PM
Addicted to RC
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
2,762 Posts
Both wings are free from white Monokote. The black residue does not want to come off. I may try to put black covering over it and see if the heat will reactivate the old adhesive and keep it secure. At this point, it can't hurt to try.

The stab is in worse condition. The white covering disintegrated into flakes. A lot of it is still stuck to the balsa. A heat gun application may help but a good sanding might do the trick too.

Looking at the TURNIGY 50-65A 400kv motor turning a 14x7" or 14x10" prop on a 6S LiPo. The plane doesn't have much more clearance than that.

-Lee
Old Sep 02, 2009, 12:25 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,537 Posts
This plane brought back a lot of memories. It was one of those plane I always wanted when I was younger, but couldn't afford nor had the ability to build it.

Pilot's quick build series are actually the first of its kind, with interlocking pieces which are still being used in today's modern kits.

Turnigy 50-65 should haul this plane around really nicely.
Steph280 is offline Find More Posts by Steph280
Old Sep 05, 2009, 10:06 AM
Addicted to RC
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
2,762 Posts
Removing Monokote

The process of heating new Monokote over the old flakes to remove it worked great. Came right up like a lint brush. The only trouble now is that the old, sticky residue left from the old covering doesn't allow the new covering to adhere completely. I tried sanding but it wasn't much help.

I need to research mineral oil and see if that will help clean up the old mess left behind. Is "STIK-IT" still available?

Here are some pics from the operation.

-Lee
Old Oct 17, 2009, 11:23 AM
Addicted to RC
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
2,762 Posts
Sorry to take so long to get back to this. I spent the last few weeks getting ready for BEST 2009 last weekend. Now it's time to return to the QB-60.

Received my motor (Turnigy 50-65-400), ESC (Plush 60), and battery (Rhino 6S,4000mAh) from Hong Kong a couple of days ago. Removed the motor mount plate from the nose and picked up a couple of nylon spacers to mount the Turnigy.

HS-635HB servos for the elevator, rudder, and front nose gear. One HS-425BB servo for each aileron. Not sure what I'm going to use for the emergency tow-line release servo.

-Lee
Old Oct 20, 2009, 05:55 PM
Addicted to RC
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
2,762 Posts
I picked up some bolts from the hobby store yesterday but they were too big and long. Digging through my box of screws, I found some stainless steel bolts and lock nuts that fit perfectly.

Drilled the mounting holes and screwed her in for a quick photo. Prop clearance is perfect. Gotta do some wood removal behind the firewall before it is secure. I may need to add some down thrust as well.

-Lee
Old Oct 20, 2009, 08:55 PM
Addicted to RC
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
2,762 Posts
Anyone here got a Turnigy Plush 60A controller? Plugged that sucker into my Rhino 6S 4000mAh pack and "POW"...got a huge spark between the connectors. At first I was hesitant to keep trying it, thinking the ESC was damaged. Later, I bit the bullet and plugged the ESC back into the battery (again, POW!!) but the controller came alive and the motor runs fine.

Weird.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 09:24 PM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
United States, NE, Doniphan
Joined Feb 2005
7,853 Posts
Yeps. When you get into high voltage stuff the "snap" really gets pretty big. My 10S and 12S setups REALLY get your attention! The only damage I am aware of that it causes is it wears your connectors a little. Some people do some mod to the ESC so that the capacitors get charged before the main power is hooked up at the connector. That stops the big spark.

Laine.
lmopar69 is offline Find More Posts by lmopar69
Old Oct 20, 2009, 09:45 PM
Addicted to RC
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
2,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmopar69
Yeps. When you get into high voltage stuff the "snap" really gets pretty big. Laine.
I have a Castle Phoenix 65 connecting to a 5S LiPo and don't get anything near the spark from the setup listed above. Should I expect to blow one of the capacitors someday??

Thanks for the response.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 11:23 AM
Joined Aug 2005
2,723 Posts
Acetone works great for removing the adhesive and color residue.
DT56 is offline Find More Posts by DT56
Old Oct 21, 2009, 09:32 PM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
United States, NE, Doniphan
Joined Feb 2005
7,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarsmythejr
I have a Castle Phoenix 65 connecting to a 5S LiPo and don't get anything near the spark from the setup listed above. Should I expect to blow one of the capacitors someday??

Thanks for the response.
I have never heard anything that would make me think it would do that. But, if caps are charged, there is no snap. So, some folks have some kind of jumper lead type wire to charge the capacitors before hooking up the main plugs.

If you do a little searching here will find you a couple threads that talk about how to do it.
Laine.
lmopar69 is offline Find More Posts by lmopar69
Old Oct 22, 2009, 02:39 PM
Addicted to RC
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
2,762 Posts
Cleaned up the motor mount area a bit. Removed some old paint and covering material. Still have quite a bit to do on it. Thankfully there is very little oil residue left from the previous glow engine.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 07:12 PM
Kilsyth, Victoria, Australia
Joined Oct 2003
1,977 Posts
I hope you have a lot of fun with your electrified Orca. I used to love Pilot kits back in the 70's and 80's because the quality of manufacture was good and accurate and all of them I built flew beautifully. Never built a big QB 60 but did do the .25 version. My own favourite was the Rainbow (high winger around 100" span).

Good luck, enjoy.
David Hipperson is offline Find More Posts by David Hipperson
Old Nov 08, 2009, 06:53 PM
Addicted to RC
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
2,762 Posts
Covering work

Dedicated some time in the garage today to work on the QB60. Sanded and prepped the stabilizer for covering. The project was supposed to be very simple but it never turns out that way.

The old Monokote has left a lot more 'gunk' on the balsa than I expected. My first attempt at recovering one side went sour as the covering would not adhere properly and attempts to heat shrink it were met with failure. The first piece was removed and a second applied which looks and sticks much better.

The second and third sections went smoothly (a few stingy tiny wrinkles are there) but the fourth ate my lunch. This last section appears to have been where most of the glow exhaust accumulated and may have saturated the balsa (along with covering residue). I tried three (3) times to put a new piece on but had no luck. Sanding didn't help either. At that point, rather than stress myself out any further I have decided to head to my LHS tomorrow and pick up a can of STIX-IT which should solve my problem.

I then tried to cover the elevators but ran into the same road block. The old residue is too resistant to new covering. Since I'm switching to electric power, I think a couple of coats of black dope on the elevator & rudder will do the trick.

Not a lot of progress but every little bit helps.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 03:53 PM
Addicted to RC
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
2,762 Posts
Stab completed

Getting back to the rebuild. My buddy Terry motivated me to get movin' on it so we could do more aero-towing.

The tail has been sitting where I left off in November. Balsarite (cheaper than Stix-It) was painted onto the balsa to improve the adhesion. Ultracote is good stuff and appears to be firmly attached now. I feel safe that the covering won't come off, especially now that it is an electric plane (no more fuel stains).

I spent about an hour online today researching tow-hook release mechanisms. The Ben Diss tow release look nice but I can't see how I'm going to get it to fit inside the fuselage. My problem is that even though I have a former that could support the release, my wing dowl is too close to it. Since I can't cut the dowl, I need to do so more research. It's something I can address way down the road once the plane has been flown again.

My next project will be recovering the fin and rudder. Gotta remove the old junk first. Lot's of fun there.

-Lee
Last edited by YarSmythe; Jan 30, 2010 at 07:44 PM.