HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 31, 2009, 07:22 PM
Joined Mar 2008
493 Posts
Discussion
CATPart's Tracking Antenna

I thought I would show you guys my new Tracking Antenna Base assembly. I am still waiting on parts and I need to finish modifying my plane but the Base assembly is ready to go. Oh yea, those are cardboard "simulated" antennas, still waiting for those to arrive also.

This runs off some custom software I developed which is full featured and robust. Its pretty interesting, and I am still working out some bugs, and have yet to field test. So far it works great in simulation.

CATPart's Tracking Antenna for UAV and FPV (0 min 43 sec)
CATPart is offline Find More Posts by CATPart
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2009, 07:53 PM
Live FPV or Die
Montreal,Canada
Joined Feb 2002
3,962 Posts
Wow impressive!

it do not look amateur
VRflyer is offline Find More Posts by VRflyer
Old Aug 31, 2009, 08:30 PM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Dec 2005
327 Posts
Thanks for sharing.
A couple of questions: Are you using servos or stepper motors? How many degrees of travel does the pan axis have?
nick.sargeant is offline Find More Posts by nick.sargeant
Old Aug 31, 2009, 08:35 PM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Will it be finished before the Mother ship arrives?
Great job, keep the progress updates and pictures coming.
Tarro is offline Find More Posts by Tarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 31, 2009, 09:04 PM
The Fixer
Canada, ON, Milton
Joined Jan 2009
3,730 Posts
What data are you using to do the tracking?
Martin Y is offline Find More Posts by Martin Y
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyfly Fox Glider
Old Aug 31, 2009, 09:20 PM
Joined Mar 2008
493 Posts
Thanks guys.

Martin I am using NMEA $GPGGA strings for now. I could modify the software to read any data.

Nick I am using custom servos, but any servos could be used with my software and controler. My tracker has 360° pan and 135° tilt.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 11:23 PM
The Fixer
Canada, ON, Milton
Joined Jan 2009
3,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CATPart
Thanks guys.

Martin I am using NMEA $GPGGA strings for now. I could modify the software to read any data.
Sorry is data transmitted down or read off an osd signal using audio/VBI?

I must say it is great looking. Looks like's a radio telescope setup.
Martin Y is offline Find More Posts by Martin Y
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyfly Fox Glider
Old Sep 01, 2009, 07:45 AM
Joined Jan 2007
708 Posts
This is quite a promissing setup. One question though. Is the distance between the antennas adjustable? As you know - and it has been covered many times in this forum the distance between the center of the antennas really can affect the reception quality....
oxxyfx is offline Find More Posts by oxxyfx
Old Sep 01, 2009, 08:01 AM
Suspended Account
Netherlands, NH, Edam
Joined Jul 2004
5,535 Posts
Uhm, few things, you need to mount it higher up off the ground, unless you plan to be flying at high altitudes all the time. Also the distance between antennas needs to be a value that's not a multiple of the wavelength of the RF frequency used. Oh, and you need to install a couple of .50 caliber machine guns to the sides

Cheers,

Sander.
ssassen is offline Find More Posts by ssassen
Old Sep 01, 2009, 09:12 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Dec 2005
327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssassen
Also the distance between antennas needs to be a value that's not a multiple of the wavelength of the RF frequency used.
Sander.
How does this rule hold up if you are receiving on two frequencies (say 900Mhz and 2.4Ghz.)
Thanks,
Nick
nick.sargeant is offline Find More Posts by nick.sargeant
Old Sep 01, 2009, 09:26 AM
Suspended Account
Netherlands, NH, Edam
Joined Jul 2004
5,535 Posts
Nick,

Quote:
How does this rule hold up if you are receiving on two frequencies (say 900Mhz and 2.4Ghz.)
Well, the idea of a spacial diversity system such as this is that if due to reflections of the incoming RF signal off of (nearby) objects it could happen that on one antenna the actual signal and its reflection with a 180-degree difference in phase cancel each other out (1 + (-1) = 0), causing for a deep null.

To counter this we use two antennas of similar polarity that are spaced out at a distance not equal to an integer of the wave length of the RF signal frequency used. Statistically we can now prove that if one antenna suffers from such a deep null due to multipathing the other in the vast majority of cases won't, hence will receive a good RF signal.

If you use two antennas on different frequencies you factually don't have a spacial diversity setup, and you won't have any of the benefits of spacial diversity. If due to multipathing one of the antennas suffers a deep null the other could be as well, although the likelihood of that happening at the same time with two different RF frequencies is very small.

Having said that, why would you want two Txs at different frequencies on a plane? Better pick one that suits your needs best at your location and use a good spacial or polarity diversity antenna setup.

I hope this answers your question? If not, keep asking, I don't mind explaining.

Cheers,

Sander.
Old Sep 01, 2009, 09:40 AM
Canada, BC, Duncan
Joined Dec 2006
3,620 Posts
Now that's too cool you CAD junkie!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CATPart
I thought I would show you guys my new Tracking Antenna Base assembly. I am still waiting on parts and I need to finish modifying my plane but the Base assembly is ready to go. Oh yea, those are cardboard "simulated" antennas, still waiting for those to arrive also.

This runs off some custom software I developed which is full featured and robust. Its pretty interesting, and I am still working out some bugs, and have yet to field test. So far it works great in simulation.

http://vimeo.com/6369680
JMSTECH is offline Find More Posts by JMSTECH
Old Sep 01, 2009, 10:59 AM
Joined Mar 2008
493 Posts
This is not a diversity setup, though I considered adding a diversity omni for close in flying. One antenna is for 2.4 gHz video and the other is for 900mHz telemetry data...(I don't own an OSD telemetry system, and higher end autopilot (atto) people may like a setup like this) I have been wondering if the proximity between these two antennas would be a problem or not. I figured I would just test and see. Do you think it will work Sander? I can adjust the spacing, but it will start getting pretty wide. Those antennas are each 16" square. My gut tells me it will work fine like this. Height off the ground I think is fine, since I always just put my patch antennas on the ground an it works great. But I can always change the legs if necessary. It can be taken apart and reassembled rather easily.

Machine gun? I have been contacted by the military about adding a 50 cal, joking
Old Sep 01, 2009, 11:03 AM
Suspended Account
Netherlands, NH, Edam
Joined Jul 2004
5,535 Posts
CATpart,

If you use different frequencies I wouldn't worry, they're spaced far enough apart in that case. The height off the ground becomes an issue if you fly further out, the antennas will be pointed at the grass if you're >1 mile out, which does really attenuate the signal quite a bit. I normally raise them to at least 6 to 8 feet about ground level.

Cheers,

Sander.
Old Sep 01, 2009, 11:25 AM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
Quote:
Having said that, why would you want two Txs at different frequencies on a plane?
3 words: Full Carbon Glider
trappy is offline Find More Posts by trappy