SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 31, 2009, 07:08 PM
San Francisco
Joined Aug 2009
7 Posts
Discussion
NVIDIA 3D Vision and RC Simulators

I recently purchased Phoenix 2.5. I am using with my DX7. Setup was simple and it works great. Definately feels like I am out flying at the field. The only challenge is the lack of depth perception. You get used to different planes and how they should look at different distances, but it takes some time.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has ever tried any of these simulators with NVIDIA's 3D Vision? I see on NVIDIA's website that Real Flight is listed as "Excellent," but I was wondering if anyone here has ever seen it?

I realize this 120Hz 3D stuff is early adopter stage, but in case there is someone here who has seen it/tried it, I would be curious to know if it adds enough sense of depth that it feels very real.

-Ray
magnetar68 is offline Find More Posts by magnetar68
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2009, 11:47 AM
San Francisco
Joined Aug 2009
7 Posts
Looks like RealFlight works well

I found a post in the NVIDIA forums from a guy named Dr. Nick. who says RealFlight works great:

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?s...dpost&p=586698

"I use a flight simulator called RealFlight. It isnt really a game, but I practise flying my remote control planes and helicopters on it, and it is absolutelly spectacular in 3D!"

I have ordered the 3D bundle from TigerDirect. I will post here if I can get the RealFlight Demo to run 3D.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 06:17 AM
Joined May 2009
54 Posts
Did you check it out yet ? How is it ?
Smurphy_ is offline Find More Posts by Smurphy_
Old Sep 22, 2009, 09:30 PM
San Francisco
Joined Aug 2009
7 Posts
It's very cool

The reality is that this is early adopter phase for this 3D Stereo technology. The RealFlight software was not designed to fully support the feature, but I found the emersiveness of the 3D really cool.

The non-photo realistic sites work well (Sandy Point in the demo). The photo-realistic sites are OK. NVIDIA lists this program as "excellent" but I would say it's good. There are some annoying artifacts that make it more of a novely than a must have feature.

Phoenix does not work well, but I think all of these programs will end up supporting it as the technology becomes cheaper and more main stream.

Playing a game that was more thoroughly designed for 3D Vision like Left4Dead (but not fully desinged for it) gives you a much better sense of the potential. Even my wife, who is not a big fan of all this stuff (and the money I spend on it) was amazed at how cool it is.

I can highly recommend the 3D Stereo if money is not too much if an issue, but currently, IMHO, it's not practicle for RC Sims and I could not get FSX to work very well either.

For the games that work well, it's great. And for the ones that will come out that will be "3D Vision Ready," they will likely be awesome. I got the Samsung 2233RZ Monitor, a GTX 275, and the glasses fo $635 all in. If that price were $450, it would be a no brainer. At $550 more people will get on board. At $635, that's tough. That is what I spent for a nice sized RC plane with motor, receiver, battery, ESC, etc.

-Ray
Old Jun 03, 2012, 04:58 PM
United States, MI, Ann Arbor Charter Township
Joined Mar 2012
1,168 Posts
I'm finding the simple red/blue glasses with Realflight G4.5 is absolutely awesome.
I can fly the helicopters through the tent tables and land on the tables & benches very easily
where it was nearly imposible without the 3D driver and glasses.
It added a significant degree of realism.
I'm amazed it worked this well.
N8LBV is offline Find More Posts by N8LBV