HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 09, 2009, 01:55 PM
To drive or to fly......BOTH!!
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,199 Posts
Nice build and info Don. This model doesn't look as bad as I thought it would. Look forward to your flight report and vid.

Jason
FresnoJay is offline Find More Posts by FresnoJay
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2009, 02:57 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,148 Posts
Maiden is hopefully tomorrow. Weather has been goofy lately, tomorrow is 10 mph winds, today is no wind but rain
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 09, 2009, 03:41 PM
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,199 Posts
I know how that goes. Waited 2+ weeks to maiden my SU-34. lastnight just before dark conditions were perfect so it happened.

Best of luck on the maiden.

Jason
Old Oct 10, 2009, 09:13 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,148 Posts
Well the flight lasted about 6 seconds. Gave it a toss and out it went and was slowly going down, I pulled full up and it slowly started to pull up but ran out of space. Broke the nose off right at the body. Fix is easy so will repair and try tomorrow possibly. Seemed quite nose heavy.

Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 10, 2009, 10:51 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,966 Posts
canards have wierd C/G's ...is the canard fixed?...if so pm C/N he had a prop job XB he could give you a good guess
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Oct 10, 2009, 11:01 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,148 Posts
The canard is fixed. I am going to measure it all up and run through my CG calculator and see what I get. It acted like a nose heavy model with not enough up elevator travel. If I had another 3 feet I would have made it but it felt like if it did go I would have had full up to fly level. I think longer elevons would have been a better choice.

Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2009, 11:20 AM
BVM Viper Fever
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,532 Posts
Cool model...hope you have better luck today.
pdawg is online now Find More Posts by pdawg
Old Oct 11, 2009, 05:14 PM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
United States, TX, Garland
Joined May 2005
3,343 Posts
I flew a Kangaroo converted to electric power.It took whole field to rotate,and only then because I hit a big bump and it bounced into the air.I flew it 2 passes holding mostly full up elevator just to keep it level.You know it had to land eventually..... Cut power and tried to setup for a landing,nose going down fast,and long time out of any more up elevator.It did make a nice plowed mark into the dirt.Too nose heavy can be almost as bad as to tail heavy sometimes....
fh64_lucky is offline Find More Posts by fh64_lucky
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2009, 05:15 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,148 Posts
It flies!!! Just got back from the park next to the house, the winds were about 3 mph. Have only a head cam video but it flies! I rechecked my CG and I was too far forward, so I moved the lipo back about 1.25" and set elevator to high rates to be safe and off it went. A few clicks of up and then it was OK. It actually grooves pretty good once it is going. Definitely needs more power for my taste, it dopplers at 70 mph. I would like it to be about 90 mph but based on a quick calculation I would need like 1200 watts The outlets seem to really rob the speed. Tighter turns look kind of funny as the nose goes out of the turn a little. So larger sweeping turns seem better.

Uploading to Youtube now will post link.

Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2009, 05:18 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fh64_lucky
Too nose heavy can be almost as bad as to tail heavy sometimes....
That was it. Not sure how I messed that up. The CG is suppose to be 17.9" from the TE of the wing, I was about 18.75"

Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2009, 05:20 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,148 Posts
Here is the link

XB70 EDF Maiden Flight (3 min 42 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2009, 06:01 PM
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,199 Posts
Don, Sure you know this but helps to be repeated once in a while. Delta's are always safer to er towards tail heavy. Conventional always safer to er towards nose heavy. Learned this the hard way with my 117.

Waiting for video to buffer .

Jason
Old Oct 11, 2009, 06:13 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,148 Posts
I almost toasted my F117 with a too far forward CG as well.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2009, 06:20 PM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
United States, TX, Garland
Joined May 2005
3,343 Posts
1st thing...I could hear ya setting trim tabs,I know that sound all to well...
2nd,It looked really stable up there,did it roll axial?70mph is not to bad for that draggy airframe,it does not look slow up there anyways,and I see you discovered it has a nice glide ratio on landing.... Nice job as always Don! Joe
fh64_lucky is offline Find More Posts by fh64_lucky
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2009, 06:21 PM
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,199 Posts
Mine suffered 2 crashes before I got it right. My poor 117 has been through hell but still going strong and flying great. But the one thing is it taught me alot about C/G.

Just got done watching the video. She looks good and think your right with the loses at the exit nozzles. Wonder how hard it would be to mod in extra fan units? Say maybe 3 55's or 60's? Maybe 2 64's?

Jason